Dick Tracy and the Prophylactic Mystery!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, all of us who have been dirt dig'n for a while no the mystery of the Merrywidows canister!I have found 3 of these, this being the 3rd and each one different. My first simply had the word Merrywidow and below 50cents the next the same but below $1.00. I told myself, Boy! There getting popular! This one though has "perfectos" and I thought that was cool, more class and style than just a price tag. I gave away the mystery in the title just to catch your attention and also for those that are new to the hobby. No more than a few feet away I got the 40's Dick Tracy cap gun. This was about 3 inches down and bounced coin/zinc pretty solid and was an obvious dig target. After careful cleaning I was able to separate the gun and clean the inside. Yes, everything is still there but I dare not push on the triger. It know its not worth much but to me this is one of the true meanings of treaure found with a metal detector! HH everyone, and thanks for looking, Detectahead.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 2

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this Dick Tracy Secret Service Patrol Member badge last week. It is from 1939. I like your cap gun!

IMAG0079-2.jpg

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, very nice finds. What's the chances of finding Dick's badge and gun within a week? Were they found in the same area? Looks like you done a super job of cleaning up the badge and I'm sure you'll do the same with the gun. Now, those items will probably be very hard to turn loose. The new generation probable doesn't even know who this hero is. Again, very nice find and may there be more coming your way.

Coinhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions