did any csa box plates have dates on ther backs

ricknaks

Jun 14, 2003
el dorado kansas
Detector(s) used
ace 250/fisher f5
i went to a antique show today and a dealer had several C.S.A. items,including oval box plates

with 1862 stamped in them on the back.i know he has had them for a few years.he told me thas he got them and

other items like Indian artifacts from a collection at a privet sale from the lifelong collector.need help to determine

if they could be real.the prices where 110.00 150.00 and up.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
99.9 &9/10% of all Confederate "relics" that are dated or have CSA on them are fake. A real confederate plate will be in the thousands of dollars except for the farme type buckle which will go for about $300.00 or more.

CSbrasshunter

Apr 3, 2010
Even a US plate today will run you $200 or more. A CS oval is going to be in the $3-4,000 range, depending on condition and type. A Georgia frame might be had for about $500, if you shop about. But there was no reason for the user to "date" the piece.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I would never buy a plate from any dealer not to disrespect the honest ones. There have just been way too many reproduction plates made especially for reenactors use. And if I did buy a plate it would have to be real cheap same thing for rusted "grapeshot" or round balls. My theory is if you don't find it in the field then the item in question is very suspicious. There's more fake Civil War stuff being sold the actual period items in my mind. I'd look for a specific Civil War show or auction and maybe a well know relic hunter but even some of those people......
It is not very hard to fake and age a new plate and some of the reproduction plates are done very well.

JRich

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At those prices, what you're looking at is Reproduction buckles.

-Buck

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I study this guys site everyday for prices and information. I have bought items from him in the past and he is a very honest and trustworthy guy who does not lie.

Larry Hicklen

www.midtenrelics.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread