Did my first bag of coin counter halves tonight

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my first and maybe only bag of halves from my buy bank's coin counter today. Scored 6 40%ers out of it. I know that the bags are hit or miss like the boxes, so it wasn't all bad. The problem is, I asked the vault teller the other day about buying any of the denomination bags, and she said that she would have to make sure it was ok. When she called me today to let me know that the half bag was finally full, she said that unfortunately she would not be able to sell me the other denominations because her Manager said they had to return them to the Fed. We all know that that isn't right, and is just an excuse from the Manager. I don't want to upset the vault teller, because she and the other tellers at the branch always look out for me, so I am not pursuing it over her head. Maybe her Manager told her that because she knows there is a contract with the coin company. The vault teller did tell me that she could order all the boxes I wanted though.

Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Or they just want to go through the bags themselves before they give them to the coin company would be my guess. I don't even think the credit unions up here would let me buy a bag from the counter, even if I had the money. I would be very curious if another CRH would want to go 50/50 in with me, and check out that theory. Hmmm, interesting theory in my part of michigan. But sweet that you got some silvers at least. Better something than nothing at all.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

OP
OP
Wilmingtonsilver

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would be very easy for the tellers to go through the bags themselves. They are larger versions of the plastic night deposit bags businesses use for drop box depositing. They get sealed up as soon as they come out of the machine. I think the machine seals it up. I was watching them clear a clog one time and they had to take a bag out to do it. They ended up having to cut that bag open and dump it into a new bag and then put the new bag into the machine. This just may be that type of machine, but it would be a pain in the rear for a teller to open that at the bank. They would either have to reroll it or dump it again.

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what bank is this? pretty sweet deal they have a coin counter and let you order boxes

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my first and maybe only bag of halves from my buy bank's coin counter today. Scored 6 40%ers out of it. I know that the bags are hit or miss like the boxes, so it wasn't all bad. The problem is, I asked the vault teller the other day about buying any of the denomination bags, and she said that she would have to make sure it was ok. When she called me today to let me know that the half bag was finally full, she said that unfortunately she would not be able to sell me the other denominations because her Manager said they had to return them to the Fed. We all know that that isn't right, and is just an excuse from the Manager. I don't want to upset the vault teller, because she and the other tellers at the branch always look out for me, so I am not pursuing it over her head. Maybe her Manager told her that because she knows there is a contract with the coin company. The vault teller did tell me that she could order all the boxes I wanted though.

First, congrats on your success. As for the managers perspective he isn't picking on you.

Once again let me first begin by saying I work at a Credit Union. We also do not sell bags from our machines to members. We also do not take the bags and search for silver for ourselves...this is a funny thought though...being paid by the credit union for searching for something for my own gain, why would any business permit this?

Now, why can they not sell you bags? Well, coin counters are not 100% accurate, even the bags that go to the fed/armored car companies are more than likely +/- a certain % from where they should be. They do not count, they weight to determine accuracy. If the weight is within parameters then there is no issue, if it is +/- beyond the parameters then it will be returned to the credit union/ bank and they will take an offage and have to verify the amount. This is fine on the Financial/Fed/Armored Car company side of things because its a normal part of business and all three parties know it.

However, you walk in, you buy the bag, you leave and it comes up short, you come back...guess what...you are out of luck because you do not have the same partnership the other 3 entities have....What does this mean?

You lost money, you are unsatisfied, there is now an awkward feeling between financial staff and you as a member....You can argue that you are unsatisfied because you are not getting the coin in the first place but atleast your not losing money!

Its a precautionary measure....stop unpleasant experiences before they happen through uniform policy that applies to all fields of membership.

Summary: You're not being picked on, tellers are not culling the silver for themselves on company time (usually!)

Questions?

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverHoarder07 said:
First, congrats on your success. As for the managers perspective he isn't picking on you.

Once again let me first begin by saying I work at a Credit Union. We also do not sell bags from our machines to members. We also do not take the bags and search for silver for ourselves...this is a funny thought though...being paid by the credit union for searching for something for my own gain, why would any business permit this?

Now, why can they not sell you bags? Well, coin counters are not 100% accurate, even the bags that go to the fed/armored car companies are more than likely +/- a certain % from where they should be. They do not count, they weight to determine accuracy. If the weight is within parameters then there is no issue, if it is +/- beyond the parameters then it will be returned to the credit union/ bank and they will take an offage and have to verify the amount. This is fine on the Financial/Fed/Armored Car company side of things because its a normal part of business and all three parties know it.

However, you walk in, you buy the bag, you leave and it comes up short, you come back...guess what...you are out of luck because you do not have the same partnership the other 3 entities have....What does this mean?

You lost money, you are unsatisfied, there is now an awkward feeling between financial staff and you as a member....You can argue that you are unsatisfied because you are not getting the coin in the first place but atleast your not losing money!

Its a precautionary measure....stop unpleasant experiences before they happen through uniform policy that applies to all fields of membership.

Summary: You're not being picked on, tellers are not culling the silver for themselves on company time (usually!)

Questions?

Again...well put!

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other

Questions?

Just what are you trying to say...? :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread