Did you watch Treasure Quest on Discovery Channel?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If so, what did you think?

I thought it was pretty good. I really enjoyed the parts where they had the ROV on the wreck sites and they were recovering artifacts. I think the series runs for two months so I'm looking forward to see what else they show. I've read about most of the stuff they cover but it is still cool to see the actual videos.

NJ

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yeah I watched it awhile. I got a kick out of the newbie archaeologist aboard their ship who didn't appear to know squat-diddly :) At one point when they thought they'd found a coin on the ocean floor (hoping it was from the wreck they were looking for), they all joked "and we thought we were about to be rich!" But then they quickly turned to the archie and joked "even he can get excited about that" I guess to poke fun at the notion that archies don't care about value or collectibility, and only care about historical preservation, looking with disdain on Treasure hunters :-*

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recorded & Watched it This Morning.

I Enjoyed it, But it Upset me they had to
put the Tusk Back where they found it.

It was over 300 Years Old >:( Not like they Killed
somones Precious Elephant for it >:(

Rediculous How the French Military are trying to Intimidate them Also.

Acting like the spanish.

Can't wait for Next week :P

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeff, that upset me too, about the tusk that they supposedly couldn't keep, because of some sort of trafficking laws or whatever. They said that it would've been worth "thousands of dollars on the open market", but I think that's a low figure. Some asian cultures are paying BIG money for remedies, potions, and stuff involving ivory.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
Jeff, that upset me too, about the tusk that they supposedly couldn't keep, because of some sort of trafficking laws or whatever. They said that it would've been worth "thousands of dollars on the open market", but I think that's a low figure. Some asian cultures are paying BIG money for remedies, potions, and stuff involving ivory.

I don't know what the rules are with ivory but a few years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a set of tusks that were about six feet long and looked awesome mounted on bases. I thought they would look great on each side of a fireplace. They got a little too rich for me though. When the gavel fell they sold for $16,000. Since they were already in the states I don't think it was a problem. I don't think they are allowed to bring anyomore in but I agree with you. They can prove it is not from a recent killing so they should be allowed to keep it.

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They Mentioned something about Transportaion.

Unfortunately I Deleted after Watching

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Its my understanding that they could have kept it if it had been carved into into art or something useful, cant transport/buy/sell raw ivory. I was amazed that they would find something like that at the bottom of the English channel.........just goes to show the extent of trade back in the days. Good show, think its gonna get better.

K

Kentucky Kache

I wonder when they'll have one on land treasure. 8)

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second installment is on tonight....I have a meeting tonight so I hope I'm back in time to catch it. I can't remember if I set the DVR to record the series or just the first episode.

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
The second installment is on tonight....I have a meeting tonight so I hope I'm back in time to catch it. I can't remember if I set the DVR to record the series or just the first episode.

NJ

I had to run & Check Mine :P I'm Ready

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it. Of course I think the show is WAY TOO SHORT! They should make it a 2 hour show, but I guess I can wait for the suspense on the next show to see what they reveal next.

If I was them when the French were pestering them in neutral waters, I would have ALL the deckhands, shipmates, and everyone on board come up to the highest level of the ship, turn around and have everyone MOON the French at the same time as they flew by or hovered over.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tonight they are showing the 'Black Swan' wreck and the companies legal battle with Spain. Should be interesting.

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
watched it but am beginning to lose interest....have not found anything yet (that i have seen)

Yea I Have no Interest in the Battle Ships & Submarines.

I Wanna See Treasures.

Tonight should be Good.
Final Episode
till Next Season I Think

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
TheHarleyMan2 said:
I watched it. Of course I think the show is WAY TOO SHORT! They should make it a 2 hour show, but I guess I can wait for the suspense on the next show to see what they reveal next.

If I was them when the French were pestering them in neutral waters, I would have ALL the deckhands, shipmates, and everyone on board come up to the highest level of the ship, turn around and have everyone MOON the French at the same time as they flew by or hovered over.
Heck why didn't they just run up an old German battle flag and watch them high tail back to port!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plehbah said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Yeah I watched it awhile. I got a kick out of the newbie archaeologist aboard their ship who didn't appear to know squat-diddly :) At one point when they thought they'd found a coin on the ocean floor (hoping it was from the wreck they were looking for), they all joked "and we thought we were about to be rich!" But then they quickly turned to the archie and joked "even he can get excited about that" I guess to poke fun at the notion that archies don't care about value or collectibility, and only care about historical preservation, looking with disdain on Treasure hunters :-*

Do you think there might be a middle ground?

By the way, I am a metal detector and history enthusiast, I in no way consider myself a "treasure hunter".

You make some terrific finds, imagine the story they could tell to someone who knew how to look at them with the right knowledge. Instead of disdaining the archaeologists, educate yourself and make them look irrelevant.

I have yet to see that happening on the forums.

Nice finds!

I agree. I've worked with archaeologists and we have learned alot from each other (more so with me from them). I've also donated many finds and other items to museums and historical societies. The letters of appreciation from these organizations are great for opening doors to private homes in the area and if I ever come across a site I thought was historically significant I would have no problems turning it over to the state archaeologists.

I'm trying to set up a dig with a paleontologist from the Museum of Natural History for this summer. It would not be using a detector which is a little out of my element but I'm sure I will learn alot about a area I'm not that familiar with.

To date I have never had a bad experience with a archaeologist or historian and I'm always willing to work with them. I would rather my finds in a display case where others can enjoy them then in a box at my house.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know when season 2 will begin??

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Ivory poaching has been banned now, thank goodness. Some of the game reserves have had Elephant numbers dropping to an extremely low level, and if you are caught poaching you risk being sent to prison. I have seen pictures of an Elephant dead, and untouched, apart from his tusks being cut away, and its just too horrible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread