Great series coming up on PBS

Goober said:
The truth, don't expect many to like this one. :-\

Care to elaborate a bit, I am rather curious as to why you would think that.
(keeping in mind that the American public is not nearly as naive as some may believe :wink: )

Have one of those great-great g-mas from the SE Cherokee nation. Gotta remember most of what happened to the natives in this country happened prior to the development of this country or at it's creation. I like to say I had family on all three sides of the Ameican revolution because the largest Nations here tended to side with the crown. Kind of made them natural enemies to a newly formed country.

But by the time of the revolution or shortly thereafter much of the SE tribes had been destroyed by diseases brought by the Spaniards which created voids in Kentucky, Tenn, Al, etc. These became warring grounds for other tribes who then attempted to move in to those areas prior to colonization, further decimating their ranks.

When I hear that familar "Vive La Raza" chant at work I have to ask my hermanos what they meam by it. They all believe it means there will be a day when this country and the rest of the hemisphere is taken over the "original" latin people. I ask them if they mean Romans. Then I remind them that if not for Cortez the Killer, they'd still be ripping the innards out of their children on some stone temple in Mexico to feed their sun god.

Not to disagree Goober, but most of us who have familial ties to not just the founding of this country but from Plymouth Rock to the Cajun sprawl have also oral traditions and family histories full of lots of things that will not include hand wringing over how we got to where we are.

Now if such efforts were made to show the continued decimation of native peoples throughout the rest of the Americas maybe there'd be a little more appreciation for it from my perspective. Also, that whole thing about ritualistic cannabalism kind of takes a lot of the romance out of what otherwise were some pretty cool lifestyles especially in these parts, once owned by the Pottawatomie, Sauk, Fox, Peoria, Ioway, etc..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back