Didnt find an item but maybe a perfect spot!!!

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know people hunt under the radar if they can get away with it. There's a right way and a wrong way. Let newcomers see that there are more of us who disapprove with shady tactics. It can only help them learn the right way to do things. Of course if the higher-ups feel it should be deleted then that's okay too.
I am surprised that a "senior member" would condone it, unless he's just being sarcastic. Maybe he's kidding and it's coming across wrong.

I guess I just have different veiws on stuff like this

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go and hit it. Most likely no one will see u out there. If someone would happen to show up just play stupid with them.

Sure that's ONE option... here is another

Do the right thing!

You are now aware of the regulations, so lets call a spade a spade...it's not playing dumb, it's called lying! Get serious and get focused, talk to someone,get permission and make the rewards that much sweeter!It will put you in a much better position to secure permissions elsewhere and helps keep a positive light on this hobby for all of us. IF you don't give a sh*t about anybody but yourself... then by all means dig away, just remember to be man enough to accept the consequences of whatever comes your way.

Forget for a moment any ethics, just think about the wasted energy and focus you will have to put toward not getting caught instead of finding treasure.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure that's ONE option... here is another

Do the right thing!

You are now aware of the regulations, so lets call a spade a spade...it's not playing dumb, it's called lying! Get serious and get focused, talk to someone,get permission and make the rewards that much sweeter!It will put you in a much better position to secure permissions elsewhere and helps keep a positive light on this hobby for all of us. IF you don't give a sh*t about anybody but yourself... then by all means dig away, just remember to be man enough to accept the consequences of whatever comes your way.

Forget for a moment any ethics, just think about the wasted energy and focus you will have to put toward not getting caught instead of finding treasure.

dont worry its dweebs like him that will ruin it for us all someday,selfish pr***s is what they are,and theives.Pretty sure they would get all"ghetto",on ya if you showed up to rummage through there belongings!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure there's no name calling on here. So awesome glad u know the rules.

But Im not losing sleep if a few people on here have a problem with my tactics. Ive stated b4 in other posts, if its public land and there's no signs saying ur not allowed I'm detecting it. The only place I feel u need to get permission is someone's private property. So let the hate come.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I just have different veiws (sic) on stuff like this

I guess so--my view is that you shouldn't be a crook! What you are advocating is called theft and you stand a good chance to getting your equipment confiscated and/or wearing striped clothing. The bigger problem is that folks like you end up permanently damaging the reputation of the hobby for the great majority of ethical detectorists out there. You've certainly already ruined your own reputation on this forum by making these kinds of statements.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess so--my view is that you shouldn't be a crook! What you are advocating is called theft and you stand a good chance to getting your equipment confiscated and/or wearing striped clothing. The bigger problem is that folks like you end up permanently damaging the reputation of the hobby for the great majority of ethical detectorists out there. You've certainly already ruined your own reputation on this forum by making these kinds of statements.

Why bc I don't kiss peoples butt, or spend pointless hours trying to get permission to hunt a public land that has no restrictions.if u keep bugging townships ur gonna annoy people then u will get places shut down.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why bc I don't kiss peoples butt, or spend pointless hours trying to get permission to hunt a public land that has no restrictions.if u keep bugging townships ur gonna annoy people then u will get places shut down.

This land we are talking about is not a "township" and it DOES have restrictions. Got it?!?!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure there's no name calling on here. So awesome glad u know the rules.

But Im not losing sleep if a few people on here have a problem with my tactics. Ive stated b4 in other posts, if its public land and there's no signs saying ur not allowed I'm detecting it. The only place I feel u need to get permission is someone's private property. So let the hate come.

Dholland...can't speak for anyone else, but my post was not directed at you. It was directed toward a new and seemingly younger(?) member in an effort to try "pay back" for some of the great advice that I have received on these boards.

If he truly came here for help and guidance, he'll find it without having to work too hard. If he came here to validate questionable behavior and stroke his ego...he can probably find a little bit of that here too, but could do it with a lot more success elsewhere.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but I just can't imagine posting pics and stories of things that I stole. Ignorance of the law is one thing, knowing it and circumventing it, is entirely different.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow someone has forum muscles.

Then I read it wrong my fault. Then If its protected then I won't touch it. That's the only way I won't hunt public land.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miss understanding on my behalf I apologize sorry everyone

Last edited:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a side note, DEM will take your equipment if you're caught. That would be a tough pill to swallow!
No need to get mean guys, dont forget- reading text without hearing what's being said is very easily misinterpreted. Sometimes things come off nowhere near how it was meant.
If people watch others get beat up on here, they'll move on somewhere else instead of staying and sharing their discoveries and passing on good advice- or even better- learning the rules! Points can still be made without provocation, right?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my fault I missed a page of this thread. Completely misunderstood what v was going on. I just wanted to clear it up.

I wouldnt dare detect historic persevered site.

OP
OP
C

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow this has taken a wrong turn...i was only kidding around with some of the comments im new here to the site and i dont want to come off like i break laws ... i have never been arrested or broke any laws... no i dont agree with most of them but i follow the rules ....Erik in jersey have you seen the size of the island and there's more then one ?? Its pretty big just for one guy and not everyone has a boat to get out there so that narrows it down a bit dont you think? And im not one of those guys who is all about me me me... i have no problem sharing sites as i do it for the history and fun not to get rich.... and plus if you read what Bev said they want people to expore and enjoy the islands its not illegal to be on the islands so if a boat is anchored off the island im sure officials arent going to say "ooo dam they must be metal detecting" i think your overreacting a tad bit .... i was clearly just sharing my finds with honest intentions and had no intentions of breaking any laws... sorry if i upset you :dontknow: ...

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow this has taken a wrong turn...i was only kidding around with some of the comments im new here to the site and i dont want to come off like i break laws ... i have never been arrested or broke any laws... no i dont agree with most of them but i follow the rules ....Erik in jersey have you seen the size of the island and there's more then one ?? Its pretty big just for one guy and not everyone has a boat to get out there so that narrows it down a bit dont you think? And im not one of those guys who is all about me me me... i have no problem sharing sites as i do it for the history and fun not to get rich.... and plus if you read what Bev said they want people to expore and enjoy the islands its not illegal to be on the islands so if a boat is anchored off the island im sure officials arent going to say "ooo dam they must be metal detecting" i think your overreacting a tad bit .... i was clearly just sharing my finds with honest intentions and had no intentions of breaking any laws... sorry if i upset you :dontknow: ...

Dave, they want folks to enjoy the islands like they want folks to visit historic sites like Gettysburg, but they are protected sites by law. Again, please see the text that was posted above:

Park and Management Area
Rules and Regulations
August 7, 2003

Archaeology

4.1 No one shall excavate, disturb, or conduct field investigations or any site or underwater historic property, nor shall anyone disturb or remove any specimens from any property under the care, control or custody of the Department of Environmental Management without first obtaining the written approval of the Director and a permit from the State Historical Preservation Commission.

4.2 All archaeological sites, underwater historic property and archaeological specimens as defined in the Antiquities Act of Rhode Island, R.I.G.L., ch. 42-45.1, are the property of the State of Rhode Island.

4.3 Metal detectors and other location devices are restricted to designated areas during specified time periods.

There are many restrictions on county, state, and federal lands and just because you don't see signs posted doesn't mean you are not breaking the law. Even many towns now have restrictions now because of unethical detectorists who either disregard the law or leave a place a mess. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.

OP
OP
C

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your still assuming that i wouldnt do further research to make sure im not breaking any laws ... i have stated that i never broke any laws in the past or present and continue to do more research about every site i detect....i appreciate the concern for the hobby and apologize that it came to this it was not my intention to make us look bad as detectors and would never put us in trouble with the law intentionally........i think we all got off on the wrong foot ....

OP
OP
C

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finderskeepers im new to the site but im not that young im 28 married and own a home lol im here to learn as much as i can and simply posted what i found while researching some sites .. deff not stroking my ego and appreciate feedback on anything i post ....thanks for the information everyone has provided i wish it didnt turn out with so much confusion and im sure Dholland feels the same as he has stated ....

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dave and welcome to the site.

Yes, as Bev said, the written word can't always properly express what the spoken one hopes to. My second post was intended to offer an opinion on a subject that I feel strongly about. I was meaning to offer those words to anyone who wanted to read them (WOW 904 views!) as a rebuttal to some really lousy advice.

No offense was intended, and I hope none is taken.

Hope your adventures are filled with luck, fun and well, TREASURE!

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, they want folks to enjoy the islands like they want folks to visit historic sites like Gettysburg, but they are protected sites by law. Again, please see the text that was posted above:

There are many restrictions on county, state, and federal lands and just because you don't see signs posted doesn't mean you are not breaking the law. Even many towns now have restrictions now because of unethical detectorists who either disregard the law or leave a place a mess. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.

Now see...This regulation from the Parks and Management may be misinterpreted. The key word there is "historic". Which, to me, is posted or registered historic landmarks and areas (like the Great Swamp Monument) and those areas need to be avoided. I was told by a DEM officer that if it's managed by DEM that I'm allowed to detect, as long as I follow safety measures such as wearing my bright orange and respect my surroundings. Verifiying that you can detect around a well populated area like those beaches does make all of us look better, especially when you can show that you fill your holes and take out the trash that others leave behind. There are areas that I go that caretakers wave me on because they know me and they know I'm not trashing the place- it's a good reputation to earn.
This is a good thread because the newer detectorists can learn from it. There are some overgrown trespassin' "gophers" around here who should read some threads here and abide by the written and unwritten rules!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was assuming this was one of those islands u see in the middle of a river or make where u see people pull a boat on to party. I veiw the site on my phone which I just got a new one and not used to it on this phone some how I missed part of the post. I didn't mean to come off as a jacka..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread