Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Didn't want to find THIS!!!

P4090290.JPG

Tread lightly and be safe out there boys and girls . . . !

Upvote 6

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn I hate those kinds of finds.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to admit that a Copperhead is about as beautiful as any snake you will see in North America. I have enough sense to leave them alone as about 90% of the people bitten are messing with them. Watch where you walk, don't step over logs without looking, watch when stepping down rock ledges and generally you will never have a problem........ Now watch my ars get bit tomorrow. ha ha as I have seen 2 in the last couple of weeks.:laughing7:

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have to admit that a Copperhead is about as beautiful as any snake you will see in North America. I have enough sense to leave them alone as about 90% of the people bitten are messing with them. Watch where you walk, don't step over logs without looking, watch when stepping down rock ledges and generally you will never have a problem........ Now watch my ars get bit tomorrow. ha ha as I have seen 2 in the last couple of weeks.:laughing7:
Agreed - gorgeous! That's why I'm fascinated by them. The pic isn't clear, but he had turned to face me down (Head up and ready, to the right). We faced off . . . I backed down. I only kill if they're in my yard . . .

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the same parsonwalker. When you really take the time to look at them (safely) they have few rivals. The mountain here has plenty of them. See a few timber rattlers but about 10/1 more copperheads. We raised Mountain Cur dogs for several years and had a few get on the wrong end of our vipers. They usually make it ok with a hit from the copperheads but the rattlers are a whole different ball game. I give them an extra wide path.
:walk:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am the same parsonwalker. When you really take the time to look at them (safely) they have few rivals. The mountain here has plenty of them. See a few timber rattlers but about 10/1 more copperheads. We raised Mountain Cur dogs for several years and had a few get on the wrong end of our vipers. They usually make it ok with a hit from the copperheads but the rattlers are a whole different ball game. I give them an extra wide path.
:walk:

I lived in them Great Smokys,GOD overdid himself there by gosh!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I don't have to worry about those up here in the NE, all we have to worry about are bears, moose, wild cats and the absolute worst menace there is............. SKUNKS.

Have fun but play safe,
ZDD

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love snakes, just not when I'm trying to swing my machine. Cottonmouths are every where down here in Florida, they put off a bad smell when you get close. A while back out hunting I could smell one but never seen it, that will make a guy very nervous. Haven't seen any copperheads down here, just those over populated cottenmouth's.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife just screamed. That's what she gets for walking in the room at the wrong time !!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the tics up here in NY are all we really worry about

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen 2 rattlers and some black widows up in nh. I feel safer around the black bears!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
During my 40 years in central Virginia, I learned to respect snakes. So hard to see in the brushy mountains of Virginia, and copperheads like to hang out together at some times of year. Most dramatic meeting of snake & family occurred when my two kids & I were picking blackberries in a big patch near the trail at Loft Mountain. Suddenly a sound that I thought was one of the kids spraying tick repellent! But my eleven-year-old son, close to the hidden rattler, knew better and froze, then backed slowly back to the trail. All three of us then climbed a stout tree with heavy low branches to try to get a safe look at the rattler. Soon that huge snake slowly moved through a little clearing under us -- five feet long rattler and very heavy! When I mentioned the rattler's size to my adult hiking group a few years later as we were hiking past the same spot on Loft mountain trail, they all scoffed at me. My moment came when a few hundred yards later, the group froze on seeing a four-foot rattler gliding slowly across the trail, not as big as the one my family had met, but pretty hefty. In Oklahoma City during a neighborhood "clean-up" weekend, I lifted a garbage can lid that someone had left beside the road -- rattler! Jumping back was automatic! Never joined neighborhood clean-ups after that, ha-ha. When living in southern Arizona, my family met sidewinders and other rattlers in the arroyos, the sandy path to our daughter's school, and tucked motionless staring back at us from old tree stumps, and we made sure never to put our hands or feet where our eyes hadn't scanned. I was just now surprised to hear on this thread that poisonous snakes have made it as far north as New Hampshire! I have no desire to kill snakes, and my Dad killed only one in Virginia when we were kids, a copperhead in low brush right beside an ocean beach where many kids ran and played. Here in CA, I know the rattlers are around but haven't seen any. Andi

Hunters Haven-NC

Aug 28, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing thing about copperheads. When threatened they can shake their tail and it will rattle just like a rattle snake. My dog had one at bay in my yard and it was rattling. When she was younger she would go in and grab the snake and shake it like a whip and kill it. She got bit twice. She's too old for that kind of stuff now so I have to keep my eyes open all the time cause we have plenty of Coppers in my area.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love snakes, just not when I'm trying to swing my machine. Cottonmouths are every where down here in Florida, they put off a bad smell when you get close. A while back out hunting I could smell one but never seen it, that will make a guy very nervous. Haven't seen any copperheads down here, just those over populated cottenmouth's.

The venom from a copperhead will just about make you blow chunks, too! I had to use bleach to get the smell off of a 'grabber' I used to get one out of my neighbors yard......nasty smelling stuff. They are not considered that deadly, but, they can sure ruin a good day!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread