Difference Mineral Oil Can Make

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture #1*as found, picture #2 after being soaked in mineral oil. Some material will look better, some will look worse and some hold it in for years (I soaked this more than 10 years ago). Anyways I posted this for those that are curious.

20201010_233449.jpg
image_85226.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gave it a new life, looks great.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never messed with mineral oil, I never plan to sell a point but is this an acceptable practice among those that buy and sell or is it like cleaning an old coin? Is it reversible or do you have to let it fade naturally?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve never messed with mineral oil, I never plan to sell a point but is this an acceptable practice among those that buy and sell or is it like cleaning an old coin? Is it reversible or do you have to let it fade naturally?

...And how long do you soak them in the mineral oil??

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've heard that soaking in acetone will reverse it, but I've never done either. Mineral oil soaking does give you an idea of what the point looked like originally though.

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...And how long do you soak them in the mineral oil??

It depends, this one for example didn't take long to change, some will take longer to change than others and some will hold the mineral oil longer than others.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
it does look nice.

I am in the group of no modifications to the relic, although i have used nail polish remover to remove old gum glue from relics.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mineral oil treatment is used a lot in lapidary too. When I've used it on rocks, I tell the buyer it's been treated. It'll work good on car dashboards that are getting crunchy. For restoration nothing beats a good slather of baby oil till the dash softens. A good buff with a terrycloth towel - dash good as new!

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've heard that soaking in acetone will reverse it, but I've never done either. Mineral oil soaking does give you an idea of what the point looked like originally though.

It does reverse it without stripping any patina or damaging the artifact at all. Some artifacts have to soak longer than others for the oil to come out.. I have also heard acetone is great for finding out if a artifact is authentic or reproduction because it will expose recent knapping, rechipping and strip any paint or fake aging. Also heard it was good to use to see if a artifact has been restored by breaking down the areas of restoration.

CodyPratt

Sep 25, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want to use it on any of my good finds, but since I found my first broken point tip the other day, I decided to try it out. I wasn't sure the impact it would have, but it worked great!
Side note: I bet that point was stunning in its prime!

Side note 2: The photos are all the same side. The back side was semi-hollowed out with a few strikes, I believe to turn the broken point into a scraper.

BEFORE:
20201009_200438.jpg 20201009_203625.jpg

AFTER:
20201013_133604.jpg 20201013_133632.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not much for altering artifacts either. I like to display them the way I find them.

I'm basically the same way Jon, the Bolen I posted when I found it looked just like it did soaked (because it was in damp compact soil) and once the air hit it within seconds it dried out. But I like the as found condition as well.

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't want to use it on any of my good finds, but since I found my first broken point tip the other day, I decided to try it out. I wasn't sure the impact it would have, but it worked great!
Side note: I bet that point was stunning in its prime!

Side note 2: The photos are all the same side. The back side was semi-hollowed out with a few strikes, I believe to turn the broken point into a scraper.

BEFORE:
View attachment 1871228 View attachment 1871229

AFTER:
View attachment 1871230 View attachment 1871231

Looks good either way, the oil really works great on the really dry, sun bleached artifacts the best.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an important discussion. The idea that treatment will restore an artifact to near its original appearance even temporarily can enhance examination.

But it could disguise the nature of the material and condition and present a false impression.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d say you have a right to do what you want with your points but personally I can’t bring myself to alter any of mine in any way. Ive got one id love to do a tiny bit of knapping to clean up the tip but I never will even though it hits my ocd nerve
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602691684.980678.jpg

OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an important discussion. The idea that treatment will restore an artifact to near its original appearance even temporarily can enhance examination.

But it could disguise the nature of the material and condition and present a false impression.

If I bought artifacts from Ebay or anywhere I wouldn't buy any that have been soaked just for that reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread