Difference Mineral Oil Can Make

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture #1*as found, picture #2 after being soaked in mineral oil. Some material will look better, some will look worse and some hold it in for years (I soaked this more than 10 years ago). Anyways I posted this for those that are curious.

20201010_233449.jpg
image_85226.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
antmike915

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’d say you have a right to do what you want with your points but personally I can’t bring myself to alter any of mine in any way. Ive got one id love to do a tiny bit of knapping to clean up the tip but I never will even though it hits my ocd nerve
View attachment 1871486

Don't blame you, the mineral oil is reversible, napping isn't.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’d say you have a right to do what you want with your points but personally I can’t bring myself to alter any of mine in any way. Ive got one id love to do a tiny bit of knapping to clean up the tip but I never will even though it hits my ocd nerve
View attachment 1871486

I understand that people who do professional restoration on pieces such as that use some type of epoxy (JB Weld), paint that matches the original material and tools to shape the epoxy to match what the missing piece(s) would look like. All of the restoration materials could be removed without further damaging the piece if so desired.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that people who do professional restoration on pieces such as that use some type of epoxy (JB Weld), paint that matches the original material and tools to shape the epoxy to match what the missing piece(s) would look like. All of the restoration materials could be removed without further damaging the piece if so desired.

Bottom line is motivation or the purpose of enhancing an an ancient artifact. IMO there are good reasons to enhance or restore an artifact.

Here’s an example of one from an expert, whom I have followed and have learned a great deal from:

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom line is motivation or the purpose of enhancing an an ancient artifact. IMO there are good reasons to enhance or restore an artifact.

Here’s an example of one from an expert, whom I have followed and have learned a great deal from:

I’m assuming that we can’t link a YouTube video?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions