Differences in Headphones? Whats everyone using?

flodiver

Greenie
Feb 21, 2008
Detector(s) used
MXT
Differences in Headphones? What's everyone using?

I'm looking to upgrade from my White's headphones to another set. I've read about Ratphones,Grey Ghosts, etc. What if I just buy a set of Bose headphones or a nice pair of Sony's? Are the headphones marketed to detectorists any better or worse than the other?

It would seem that I could buy a nice par of Sony's for $59.00 and shouldn't they perform as well as some of the others that are marketed to detectorists?

So, I'm looking for some help or advice - I'm just not sure what the differences are or is it just a marketing ploy?

Shaun

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Differences in Headphones? What's everyone using?

Lately I've been using a single earpiece Rattler from DetectorPro. I also have a set of Black Widows from them. I use the Black Widows on my Musky where I really have to listen carefully to seperate the trash. Otherwise, I like the one ear open of the Rattlers to hear what's going on around me. But then, I'm good at "selective hearing". Just ask my wife.

Whether hype or not a detector headset gets different use than a living room stereo listening headset. The connectors have to be beefed up for the kinks and bends of the rougher handling. Bouncing around in a car between hunts and being baked in the closed car in the sun is also not overly kind to them.

OP
OP
F

flodiver

Greenie
Feb 21, 2008
Detector(s) used
MXT

Hey Charlie P

Thanks for the advice - I hadn't really thought about all of the bouncing around and stuff. You made a good point about that.

I like the idea of having one ear open to hear stuff. I was hunting a pretty remote site this past weekend, everytime the wind blew it sounded like someone walking up behind me!

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too use the Rattlers , just bought this year .......... so far I like them alot , especially on weekends with my kids in tow .......... no more lifting one ear piece to hear what is being said , + still having good sound .

OP
OP
F

flodiver

Greenie
Feb 21, 2008
Detector(s) used
MXT

Not sure if there are any rules against this - but can you guys recommend a online store to get Rattlers?

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

I've been using a $18 pair from radio shack(mono switch with vol.) Do you experienced guys think I'll be able to tell the difference between trash signals and good signals better if I get a more high end set with better frequency responce?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Using Grey Ghosts with a pair of Koss phones for backup or to loan. I noticed a huge difference going from Stereo phones to the Ghosts. If I need to hear what's going on around me, I just slide one phone half off my ear. Everyone will probably agree the phones made specifically for detecting have stronger cables connectors & volume pots.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sqwaby said:
I've been using a $18 pair from radio shack(mono switch with vol.) Do you experienced guys think I'll be able to tell the difference between trash signals and good signals better if I get a more high end set with better frequency responce?

The specification you should be most interested in is the Ohm's rating. The higher the impedance (measured in ohms) the better for response to signals.

My personal choice of headphones is RATPHONES. The guy that builds these units is the only source that seems to have really STUDIED the response curves of EVERY manufacturers' machines. He designed his phones to work with these detector outputs. The Rats are rated at about 315 ohms, true impedance and they are built with heavy duty pieces. (probably MIL specs.)

The RATphones website is http://www.detectusa.com/ratphones.htm Visit the site and click on the Technical button at the top and read the tech info on each manufacturer and you'll see what I mean about this guys research.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shortstack said:
sqwaby said:

The specification you should be most interested in is the Ohm's rating. The higher the impedance (measured in ohms) the better for response to signals.

My personal choice of headphones is RATPHONES. The guy that builds these units is the only source that seems to have really STUDIED the response curves of EVERY manufacturers' machines. He designed his phones to work with these detector outputs. The Rats are rated at about 315 ohms, true impedance and they are built with heavy duty pieces. (probably MIL specs.)

The RATphones website is http://www.detectusa.com/ratphones.htm Visit the site and click on the Technical button at the top and read the tech info on each manufacturer and you'll see what I mean about this guys research.
:thumbsup:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flodiver,

Headphones are like any other electronic device used in the hobby, normally the more expensive the better. You can use almost any that work with your detector. You already know of one feature, one side only allowing you to hear other sounds easily. I like a pair that has dual volume controls, preferably with a notched control. I like a coiled cord and comfortable padding. I wear mine up to 8 hours a day at times, I have never worn my music phones longer than an hour, so comfort is high on the list. I am rougher on my equipment than I should be, so buying a better built set of headphones is a must, those cheap pairs will let you down in the end.
Most detectorist will learn this. When is the last time you heard one talk about "down-grading" his equipment?

Ed D.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just thought of another thing that should be considered when buying phones or thinking about using stereo phones. The head band should be a high quality. How many of you have thrown phones in with your gear or banged you head on a low hanging branch only to find the head band broke? I know I've broken at least three pair over the years. The new phones also foldup rather nicely, allowing storage in a goodie bag or coat pocket when hiking in or storing in a hard case / bag without damage.

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008

I have a set og the SunRay Pro Golds. I really like them and find I can hear much better wearing them than with my home set.

The "Ratphones" have a big following. Lots of good reviews and well made. They can not be ordered right now, being changed? As soon as he comes back on line with them I will get me a pair.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heard about Ratphones after I got my Grey Ghosts (isn't that the way it always works?) Have heard nothing but good things about them. That's pretty good in these days to see a product that's got no downside!!!!

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When are the Ratphones coming back on the market ? Anyone have a clue ?

Thanks,

Todd

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been looking for a pair for a while too. They are supposed to be available late summer 2008. I would guess 2 to 3 months if all goes well.

Ed D.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Ed ! Don't know if I should hold off 'til the Rats are back on the market again.....trying to decide between Rats, SunRay Pro Golds and Killer B's Wasp and would like to order soon, before summer's over. Do you think the Rats are worth the wait ?

Todd :)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They are all three good headphones. I only fear new products because they have no track record. If the new rat phones are a lot different they could better or worse. If the are as reputable as the old ones they will be worth waiting for.

Ed D.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Born2Dtect said:
They are all three good headphones. I only fear new products because they have no track record. If the new rat phones are a lot different they could better or worse. If the are as reputable as the old ones they will be worth waiting for.

Ed D.

Thanks Ed.........I appreciate your take on the headphones !

Todd ;D

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+

I know someone mentioned that high impedance is good for sound quality on MDs. Does that mean more or less battery life on your detector?

Jeff

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Jeff !

I'm trying to locate WThesing for you. He is the battery expert who posted "Battery Clinics" a good while back on Friendly Metal Detecting Forums. I am checking now with one of their admins, Carol K, to see if Bill is still a member there, as I was unable to locate him on their member List.

Will advise.

Todd :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread