Dig all those signals! Counterfeit (maybe) Connecticut Copper!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I went out this morning to a site I have been going to for years. It is really where I got my start detecting. On other digs I found a 1795 large cent and a whole bunch of nice buttons there. But it has been very quiet lately. I was there for nearly 2 hours and not finding much at all and decided to head back home.

I went to the old road and started walking up the side. It is also an area where I have dug many modern bullets etc. Since when the local farmers were teens they used to practice shooting there. I got a solid "zinc" signal and I thought ok here is a shotgun shell end to finish the day. This will be my last target.

I put the shovel in and flipped the dirt and out popped this! I couldn't believe it! Probably 2 inches down! I scanned it again just to be sure and once again it came up very low in the zinc range.

After showing it to some colonial coin experts there was a request made to nick the edge to see if any copper color would come through - I did a good scratch to it and it looks white. It also shows signs of being cast. Still inconclusive on what its origins might be - my gut since I first picked it up is that it is a counterfeit. But I haven't handled too many Connecticuts.

** I give up on getting the photos in the correct order**

Attachments

• IMG_9464.jpg
    IMG_9464.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9468.jpg
    IMG_9468.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9469.jpg
    IMG_9469.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 1

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your 18th C confirmation :hello2:
Certainly an awesome find !!
Best wishes & HH to you! Herbie.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
WEll, good luck figuring out what it is... I cant help much but I have heard about counterfits that came from the era having extreme demand, so whether its real, or countfit, I am guessing it will be a very very good find. On another note, (it applies in my opinion), I have only been detecting for less than 6 months, and a week or two ago, I was in a very old yard when I got an obvious zinc cent signal, I dug it hoping for gold or something, and to my amazement it was a wheat cent that had been re-acting to something in the soil... Lots of stinky crud on it, an in terrible shape but it is for sure a wheat cent... so you just never know what can really be going on until you dig to find out.

happy hunting.

Chris.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris, maybe you have a plated steel '43 cent....
i don't recall hearing about one of these recovered before,
old iron can give some odd signals. Best digs :hello:
WEll, good luck figuring out what it is... I cant help much but I have heard about counterfits that came from the era having extreme demand, so whether its real, or countfit, I am guessing it will be a very very good find. On another note, (it applies in my opinion), I have only been detecting for less than 6 months, and a week or two ago, I was in a very old yard when I got an obvious zinc cent signal, I dug it hoping for gold or something, and to my amazement it was a wheat cent that had been re-acting to something in the soil... Lots of stinky crud on it, an in terrible shape but it is for sure a wheat cent... so you just never know what can really be going on until you dig to find out.

happy hunting.

Chris.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread