Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I've often been tempted to dig and release. I've so often been told that the itty bitty gold nuggets I've dug will get bigger if I put them back in the wild. Problem with that is there's no size limit and my buddies wont take the bait either ;) Hahh!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every ptab you've ever dug, I actually found it first and replaced it for you. You're welcome!

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting but recently have been thinking how neat it would be to get a hit and dig it,finding some type container with the name,date contact# of the person that removed something from this spot. Of course along with what was removed a.i. 1958 wheat or 1917 merc dime etc.Or maybe even a pix of the find and/or finder!
Just my thoughts.

Wade

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only way to tell who left something in some of my plugs is DNA testing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think you speak in just! You have just described Geocaching which is goinging on all over the world. They use GPS coordinates. I even found one with a 2 Box detector hidden in a stone wall. You take something from the cache and leave something.
But I got to tell you, that ain't TH. When I find that stack of silver bars, they are mine!!! Frank...-

y silver bars.jpg
Believe it!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, Metal detecting could be just like fishing,(catch and release). When we find something good just snap a photo or video and then bury it back up for the next detectorist who comes along that way we can all enjoy great finds.

NOT!

Excellent Idea for all those "Other" Detectortorists around here.

Dig it, Photograph it, Send me the pic & Location :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting but recently have been thinking how neat it would be to get a hit and dig it,finding some type container with the name,date contact# of the person that removed something from this spot. Of course along with what was removed a.i. 1958 wheat or 1917 merc dime etc.Or maybe even a pix of the find and/or finder!
Just my thoughts.

Wade

A friend of mine on the Illinois forum went one step further. . . he buried 6 or 7 brass disc's with a message that read: "if found, contact (...... at phone # ........) and receive one silver Merc dime".
He was true to his word to the several people that found them.

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that doesn't surprise me too much. I always have good ideas some time after they are already in practice. I remember years ago we were sitting around the shop talking about "people will buy anything" so just for giggles we thought we could design a little "router" that would hold a q-tip and sell it as a "navel pick". Honest to God, The next Monday someone showed us an add for The same kind of thing used to trim the hair out of your nose!
I guess this is just my station in life.

Wade

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detecting could be just like fishing,(catch and release).

Down here in Florida we have something a bit different, it's called 'Filet and Release'

So... the only way it would work, based on your example, would be to keep the coins and gold, and rebury the pull tabs and nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread