Dig Fellas airs on Travel channel Sept 4th at 8.

biggerdigger

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unlike the other shows - These guys, "The Dig Fellas" are LEGIT!
They've been in the hobby for 30 years plus EACH.
I've read Bill Ladd's field test articles and he was spokesperson for Fischer for years.
I think this one is going to be a good one compared to the others.
It can't be difficult to beat the others ones too....

OP
OP
C

Coinshooter2012

Nov 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, tough crowd here. I consider Bill and Howard some of the best guys in the hobby. I actually had the opportunity to dig with these guys back in August. They pointed out things I never thought of checking out. There was a area in the woods that looked promising to Howard. Later on I went back and did a little more exploring and found a cellar hole exactly where he was talking about. These guys are very knowledgeable about the hobby.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill and Howard are actually two of the most entertaining and interesting relic hunters on Youtube. As a native Virginian, I found their yankee dialect more entertaining than annoying. They are truly passionate about the hobby and history involved in relic hunting. Their Youtbube videos are GREAT!! Bill is somewhat of a legend, to those who know his history.

That being said - I HATE THE METAL DETECTING TV REALITY SHOWS - ALL OF THEM!!!!!! There's something about it being professionally filmed and broadcast that destroys the purity and of relic hunting and makes it all feel "fake" to me. The over-the-top-hype makes me cringe. Moreover, it gives a false impression to viewers and attracts folks into the hobby who think they're going to get rich - they will be over zealous and give us all a bad name. How much blame is to be laid at the feet of the manufacturers? They've got to love all the new customers. Sadly, in the long run, they could do more damage to this great pass time than anything else, which will ultimately have a negative impact on sales.

While I understand how a relic hunter could be seduced by the money and access to new sites, I'm disappointed in some of the folks I've seen jump on the bandwagon. Hopefully, these shows are a passing fad.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There all destroying our hobby, you don't know how many times land owners ask how much there cuts are.

just62583

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly believe the only show that has shown the hobby making a lot of money was the savage family diggers. Which has now been kicked off the air and not resigned by spike.

biggerdigger

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fishstick is right. Bill Ladd is LEGIT! I used to see him in ads and on the cover of Treasure Magazine!!
I'm gonna check this show out because Bill has been in the hobby a long time and he knows his stuff.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older guy from tge vids doesn't seem bad but the skinny one is the obnoxious one.

He will fit in well with, tubby savage, both guys from diggers and the married couple from dig wars as the annoying person on the show.

85royalx

Aug 28, 2013
Going to record it tonight and watch it after I do a little hunting tomorrow night.. hope it's not to disappointing

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel that all of the digging shows are bad for the serious detectorist.The reason that I am saying this is because you will get a lot of people who will give us a bad name by not follow the ethics of serious detectorist. Kellyco loves them, you will get all kinds of people buying cheap detectors and digging up all over the place and not covering holes.
I do watch the shows because I love the hobby. I hope this show is a little better then them corny juice boys.

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
IVE GOT "ROUNDNESS" LOL, i like diggers and dig wars, it's just like extreme couponers, the fad will pass, you will be able to buy top notch equipment on ebay for pennies on the dollar in the near future LOL

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will give them a chance at least to see if they're better than Ringey and George.

Jeff Harris

Mar 16, 2010
Will it be close captioned for the New England accent hearing impaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahed?

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just noticed the first episode on my DVR. I haven't watched the entire show yet, but he seems quite a bit mellowed compared to the YouTube videos. I do like it a lot more with him being calmer, the videos are a bit much for me. I hope the show stays with the mellowed down touch.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a DREAM HUNT. Shooter!!!!! Your so Lucky..... I would kill to get that call. CONGRATS.. HH

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
hmmmmm, i like KG & THE RINGMASTER, i watched this on my DVR, very rehearsed , u can plainly see the other persons lips moving while the other speaks the same words when sitting next to each other..... Wow....

Oregon Bob

Greenie
May 13, 2012
S.W. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug 2, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Whites TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just watched the show. They are a little silly but it seems to me to be the best of the MDing shows. To say it's the best of the bunch isn't saying a whole lot.

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still like Diggers better, the new one doesn't show enough finds. Seems like there were only 4 or 5 items at the end. Also, the strange high pitch talk is a major turn off for me, although they do turn it down quite a bit from the YouTube vids.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like Diggers better, the new one doesn't show enough finds. Seems like there were only 4 or 5 items at the end. Also, the strange high pitch talk is a major turn off for me, although they do turn it down quite a bit from the YouTube vids.

"Howad" This will be my only post on this show, as I probably will file it with Boom Baby, And I fear I'm going to get out of Line with my comments :( Sorry Guys :sadsmiley:

Yes "Howad" I don't wish to sound judgmental on accents,
I can handle the accents just fine. I call them Hor-Shoes myself "Howad", But can't travel channel Lower the Tones
of their voices to more Base ? On occasion it sounds Normal, But The High Squeaky voice Tones
turn me off. , Maybe it was just Nervous tones "Howad" :dontknow: I understand it may have been
your first acting part on tv, BUT "Howad" if I hear one more High Pitched "Howad" :tongue3:

what was the TV show with the Old Lady always Yelling "Howad" ? exact same tone.

also what is it with everything being just under the surface "Howad" ? & a Gun while doing a show
on billy the kid "Howad" ? Bottle on the surface that looked shot while doing a show on Billy the Kid ?
Can you say "possible Plants" ? "Howard" ?

Last comment , Are they connected at the Hip ? were they ever more then 3 feet apart ? ??? travel channel only supply one Camera ? both afraid the other will get more on air time ? need to smell each other while detecting ? seriously, if there is going to be tears
and "the way we were" playing in the backround if you's get out of site of each other, Don't do it :o

Please let me know if next weeks shows improve, perhaps I'll try to catch them on Reruns if someone says they Calmed down. If not, I'll wait for next seasons "Diggers" & that other show with the 3 teams, for my TV Fix.

If not, I'll stick to enjoying your articles in W&E Treasures Howard & Bill :thumbsup:

Last edited:

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff, you must not have seen them on YouTube, the high voice thing is drastically toned down from that on the TV show.

I did notice they seemed to get a lot of shallow finds. He wasn't in the water for very long either, I'm not sure if I remember him even swinging the MD?

I'll still watch it but I feel Diggers is better entertainment for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread