Dig tabs or filter them out?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try and dig all signals. I do mostly woods detecting and those brass shotgun shell ends read in the pull tab and nickel range, so shotgun shell ends drive me crazy like digging pulltabs does. I do not want to miss the nickels, I have plenty of buffalo, war nickels and a few V nickels I would have missed. Most rings I have detected were in the nickel and pull tab range on the DFX, but the real small rings were reading like a dime, penny.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok i use a gti 1500 and last week i dug my first gold ring
the only reason i got this ring was i was digging pull taps just so i did not miss any nickels
pull tabs and nickels are only 1 spot off on the gti and if there is any trash close by the numbers may match but do jump a bit
so now i will dig pull tabs till the cows come home or i leave the field which every comes first
i will stop digging pull tabs when i can tell what they are 100% of the time before i dig and after digging 10,000 or so pull tabs

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discriminate out pull tabs and you are discriminating out a lot of gold, when you discriminate pull tabs out, you will dig less, but you will also dig a lot less gold.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on where you draw the line on having fun. You can make more money working part time at the Burger Bar, but it isn't as much fun. Metal detecting should be the most fun you can have with your clothes on, not a chore. At the beach I will scoop anything that makes what ever detector I am using give a noise at ZERO disc. Water detectors of course don't have a screen-yet as they aren't needed.

Dahut explained everything very well I thought in his posts. If you don't want to bother retrieving pull tabs you can turn up the disc till you don't get them. Course you will also miss the deep coins too this way and of course 90% of the gold rings that are out there. I don't even like to hear the word "Dig." This makes me think of shovels and Lesche diggers in park grass. I use a bayonet to probe for the coin and either pop it out of the ground or make a slit to slide it out. Three sided plugs can be dug if needed too. The bayonet is nice because the point is in the center an it goes thru the hole in a ring or pull tab and you can tell by the resistance to lever it out. Many times in the grass I will pass up a target if it is deep depending on how much traffic the area has to see the damage of a deep plug no matter how careful I am.

It just depends on how much fun you want to have with the hobby. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions