Digging At Old Mission Bertrand MI

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When I was a little girl this cemetery was our playground on the banks of the St Joseph River. The property was close to my grandfathers and we spent many summer days collecting arrowheads and Indian beads along the sandy banks. This is also the sight of the 1st St Marys Mission...predessessor to St Marys/Notre Dame.
I was able to hunt the area outside the cemetery this last week. The area is completely overgrown and hilly but I was able to dig a few things. I will be returning in the spring as I obtained permission to hunt across the river while there.

I knew of the legend of the buried pots of silver and my heart did a complete stop when I dug this iron pot out of an old tree root.Unfortunately it was empty.
While I spent most of the time trying to read my maps and get my bearings ...without wandering onto someone elses property.....I was able to find a couple of spots that look promising.....Cant wait to go back.

The French built and occupied Fort Saint Joseph on the west bank of the Saint Joseph River near present day Niles, Michigan in 1691. By building the original fort on the west bank, the river acted as a natural barrier for the occupants of the fort to raids from the east. Some of the Miami tribe were occupying the east bank, and were still catering to the whims of the Iroquois league who's incursions upon the Algonquians were still relentless from the east. At about this time, more Potowatomi bands began migrating to the south of Lake Michigan from Green Bay in order to escape starvation. They found protection near the west bank of the Saint Joseph River where Fort Saint Joseph was garrisoned by their friends, the French. The Fort offered these Potowatomi a refuge from the Iroquois incursions while opening up fur trade directly with the Frenchmen.

The French withdrew the garrison from the fort at about the turn of the 18th century because the Iroquois attention was drawn else where with the collaboration of the British. The mission stayed on as did the French trappers and traders.

The Potowatomi asked the French to re-establish a fort on the Saint Joseph River in 1706. The French complied, but this time they built their fort on the east bank where the river offered a barrier from the Fox raiding parties. Both the mission and the fort closed in 1712 because of the Fox Wars. Only a few French traders and their families remained.

http://www.fotsjr.org/river/history.htm

Attachments

• Bertrand Marker.JPG
    Bertrand Marker.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 984
  • Bertrand  torn down and sold bricks 1912.jpg
    Bertrand torn down and sold bricks 1912.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Three legged cast iron pot.JPG
    Three legged cast iron pot.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 998
  • St Joseph River Below Bertrand Cem..JPG
    St Joseph River Below Bertrand Cem..JPG
    86 KB · Views: 994
  • monument next to where Mission used to be.JPG
    monument next to where Mission used to be.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 992
  • iron,pottery blob bottles.JPG
    iron,pottery blob bottles.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Madeline Bertrand.JPG
    Madeline Bertrand.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 964
Upvote 0

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a fantastic spot! That pot must have been fun to dig out of the ground! Is your back sore today? Keep us posted on your future trips to that area.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post Gypsy, I always enjoy your adventures! Nice pics and HH, Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool story Gypsy...How big is the pot and would it be possible to put that under electrolosis,probably would make a nice planter.Best of luck there and HH!!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
more pics

Civilman...the pot is about 12 inches tall and as wide....part of old bail handle still attached as well as shards of pottery encrusted inside...very heavy when going up hill ,fighting mosquitos and briars and carrying the rest of my equipment....LOL

Attachments

• tree fell ...didnt hit a tombstone.JPG
    tree fell ...didnt hit a tombstone.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 873
  • Outside Cem 90 degrees at 7 am.JPG
    Outside Cem 90 degrees at 7 am.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 880
  • Madeline Cemetery.JPG
    Madeline Cemetery.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 888
  • cemetery looking toward Bond.JPG
    cemetery looking toward Bond.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 907

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great spot Gypsy. I hope the next pot you unearth is filled with silver coins.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
The pot must have taken you an hour to dig up and I can only imagine the racing heart with that silver legend and all. Great post Christy, thanks for sharing your adventure!

Smiles!
BDoo

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that is an interesting spot for sure. looks like it is full of potential. good luck with it.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy cow, gypsy...that is a honkin' big pot!! :o :o

Thanks for the interesting read and the beautiful pictures. Sounds like a great place to dig! :)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart would have been beating as well digging up an old iron pot like that wondering what was in it!!!

I didn't realize you lived in that area - I was born and raised up until 7th grade not far from the St. Joseph river and used to play basketball against Niles in grade school.

Small world :)

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like that little empty pot. ;D Reminds me of the big cauldron we use to boil chickens! I think I'd use that little thang as a planter.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy...looks like an AWESOME spot with tons of history...I;d LOVE to get loose there detecting!!!! ;D Love that old empty pot.....try wire brushing it some and clean it the best you can, then paint some Extend on it, that should bring it back to life some. Can't wait to see what else you get out fo that area

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy,
Thanks for the post and pictures. Was this in the South Bend / Mishawauka area?
Sure sounds like it. I'm originally from LaPorte which is very close by.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Right near the State line on the St Joe.....I was born in Niles and lived there until I was 13. Went to Brandywine Jr High School and Bell Elementary.

We took anything that we could float in down that river! Hahaha

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Right near the State line on the St Joe.....I was born in Niles and lived there until I was 13. Went to Brandywine Jr High School and Bell Elementary.

We took anything that we could float in down that river! Hahaha

I see you are in Wisconsin now. Anywhere near Boulder Junction?
My Dad used to take us to a fishing lodge up there called Evergreen Lodge when we were little squirts. The same cabins & lodge are still in operation today. They were also there when my Dad was a teen. Sounds like a great spot to MD. Hmmmmmm. ::)
-MM-

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
About an hour and a half from me

Attachments

• boulder-junction-evergreen-lodge.jpg
    boulder-junction-evergreen-lodge.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 716

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice post and pictures Gypsy. What is your best source when researching for historical sites? I noticed you posted some potential sites for Ohio....thanks for that BTW. One site, the James Bieber Saw Mill is only a few miles from my son's house in Delaware County. I've found several websites on the history of the mill and the Bieber family. I hope to check it out the next time I'm up that way to visit.

BPMM

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
bedpanmoneyman said:
Nice post and pictures Gypsy. What is your best source when researching for historical sites? ..................................

BPMM

I own literally hundreds of old books on history,geography,atlas's ,the wars,travel etc......I just love to read and have acquired a lot of interesting files,records and maps that I either purchased at auctions ,estate sales etc. I will find something interesting (to me :) ) and then try to research it as much as possible online and through the library or county records. When I get it together I then post and hope that someone will be able to make use of it or hunt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread