Digging in wood chips

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi all, I went to my local elementary school on Sunday and I had many hits in the wood chips, but didn't retrieve them.
Any ideas on digging??? These chips are tough to get through and then after a few inches I lost the target. I am not sure if I was digging false signals or what. I had the sensitivity on the ACE250 at only 3 or 4 bars. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks,
Greg

Upvote 0
S

skydiv

with my hand i'll brush the top layer to the side, then check it again. if it is still in the same place i'll scrape down about 4 in. check it agaiin. if it is in the pile i pulled out I'll lay the detector coil by the hole and take a hand full of mulch and wave it by the coil. if it's not there I take another hand full and wave it by the coil untill i find it. I always do. might not like what i find. with me I don't have much luck with woodchip playgrounds.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of times the target is only a couiple of inches deep and I just insertmy handheld pinpointer and fins it.? ?I've foiund two rings in the ckhps. JIM P.S I need to learn how to type too!

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I like the idea of a 3 prong "rake" type thing for this.I havn't done a lot of wood chip hunting, but it seems people do well on jewelry finds there so I will probably start.

-Mike

G

grotus

I also do like skydiv and brush away the loose stuff and check the spot again. If the signal hasn't moved then I use a hunting knife to stir up the compact stuff. I too have the ace 250 and have not had any trouble finding what I was looking for. I have found that if the target does not give a repeatable signal, it is usally junk. I suggest digging slowly and re-checkig the spot often if you can't find the target right away.

run2car

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2004
Asheboro, NC
All of the wood chip beds here in my town that are on public property have this heavy woven mesh type underlayment under the chips so the depth is only around 6-8 inches. I have had some targets under the mesh but didn't want to cut through it. I figured that might come back to haunt me(like no more detecting here buddy!)

Scott

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
I have found alot of the schools around here placed the woodchips on top of the asphalt playground. They placed railroad ties around the swings, slides, and other play equipment; then added about 6 or 8 inches of woodchips. (Dont forget to look under the jungle jims, thats were I have found the most coins.) When you dig in the woodchips and hit asphalt the digging gets a little tough..... ;D I have had signals in the asphalt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread