So is this how the pros do it? i.e. Plug digging

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I was messing around with my camera's video mode & made these 2 plug digging movies.

Front view http://www.pixparty.com/nctrnlboy/index.asp?ptype=v&videoid=5387

Side view? http://www.pixparty.com/nctrnlboy/index.asp?ptype=v&videoid=5292

? It is the way I have done it for years now. I have never had the opportunity to literally see someone make an actual plug in person or otherwise.? I tried to make? V-shaped or C-shaped plugs in the past but it never works out well. The square-shaped trapdoor method? (seen in the videos) is what works for me.

Note: The ground was ... at the time.. damp from a previous night's rain & the grass & grassroots were not thick so digging was extremely easy. Also the footage was not sped up in any way.

Note: It WILL take some time for the videos to load for dialup users

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice videos! You did a good job, and cut a nice plug! Is the the famous Lesche digging tool? I gotta get me one of those! Thanks for the training films!! HH!

OP
OP
Mi$$ouri Jim

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
treasurekidd said:
Nice videos! You did a good job, and cut a nice plug! Is the the famous Lesche digging tool? I gotta get me one of those! Thanks for the training films!! HH!

Yep... that's the lesche.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Very nice, Jim. We'll have to be sure and point folks this way whenever the question comes up. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Oh, did ya find anything? ;D

P

PrizmIV

I have DSL, so dl is not the problem, but I click on the video nothing happens! :'(

OP
OP
Mi$$ouri Jim

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
My question is.... is that how most physically dig their plugs?? By sticking the digger in, pushing forward, removing the digger & then again sticking it back in diaonally while pushing forward ...... is THAT how everyone does it .... or is it just me?? I have tried to dig with a sawing "up & down" motion , but it is almost impossible & extremely time consuming.

also..... for shallow targets... I sometimes just stick the digger in the ground once & "pop" out a tiny plug. Too small a spot to notice IF it does kill the grass. That's where the lesche's durability & strenth comes in handy.

Oh.. and i never sharpen my digger.... i find that i really dont need to for the most part.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
GREAT VIDEO! THANKS!

This is exactly the type of thing that will help me. Now if you can just show us how you expand your hole when it turns out you missed the spot. :(

A

another _novice

Thanks for taking the time to make that video and to post it.

I slice away about 3/4 of a circle - maybe a little more - down about 2 inches (depending upon the root system of the grass) and fold that piece back.

Then I dig the plug.

When I'm done, I replace the dirt, fold the top piece back over, and lightly step on it.

That way, the grass doesn't die.

Mi$$ouri Jim said:
My question is.... is that how most physically dig their plugs?? By sticking the digger in, pushing forward, removing the digger & then again sticking it back in diaonally while pushing forward ...... is THAT how everyone does it .... or is it just me?? I have tried to dig with a sawing "up & down" motion , but it is almost impossible & extremely time consuming.

also..... for shallow targets... I sometimes just stick the digger in the ground once & "pop" out a tiny plug. Too small a spot to notice IF it does kill the grass. That's where the lesche's durability & strenth comes in handy.

Oh.. and i never sharpen my digger.... i find that i really dont need to for the most part.

B

Broncox Vernon BC

Mi$$ouri Jim said:

I find I can cut a cleaner plug with a sharp knife (Hunting knife) and a sawing motion, I use the "C" method (Try not to cut an"O" as the grass can die easier) and try not to make the hole any bigger than the hand.
Once in awhile I'll be sawing through really tough sod and hit a soft spot and the knife will lunge out of the hole......almost impaled my leg a couple of times!!. BE CAREFUL!!!!
Also when you have an audience (kids or whoever), make they stay at least arms length away to avoid any unforseen accidents!!
Broncox

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Yep, Thats how I do it... ;D
Na,,, Nice plug though... I cut a plug pretty much the same way, except I start on one side , go across the top, then down the other side... The holes seem to heal up nicely...
Cool videos,,, I'm sure it wiil help someone just getting started...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

E

Einstein

i use a small spade that has a long handle. I stab it in the ground and stomp on it then I pull it and make another cut at a right angle then flip it onto my cloth. I then scalp the top off and check the bottom. I dug about 100 holes in my yard alone and you cant see a one. In fact the moles have done more damage to my yard then I could MDing blindfolded with a chainsaw! and thats a fact...
Nice videos, now if only someone could do one with that notch method I hear about where you make a tiny slice and sneak the coin out. btw i think thats a first on a md website a video of a plug digging. Now you just have to add an actual find to share the experience with the masses. (even those without detectors.)

OP
OP
Mi$$ouri Jim

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
alabamadan said:
GREAT VIDEO!? THANKS!

This is exactly the type of thing that will help me.? Now if you can just show us how you expand your hole when it turns out you missed the spot.? :(?

Due to the VCO option on my detector (emits a constant sound which gets higher when over the target) ....I dont usually miss. ;)? ?Unless the target is so deep that it's hard to get a good pinpoint, but that doesnt happen that often. OR if there are multiple target signals that are close together.? I get a bit nervous digging a plug when I get multiple silver coin signals that are close together that are near 5 inches deep.? Dont want to scratch a nice silver coin.
? When I do miss.... I will try to determine which sidewall of the plug the object is on. I do this by using a handheld pinpointer. If it is shallow inside the wall.... I will dig out a small part of the wall without having to make surface(top of the ground) cuts in the grass. If I cant detect where the target it that way..... I then put the plug back in & re-pinpoint with my detector. Once I have determined which side the original plug the target is in.... I open the original plug back up & then make an? "extended plug" by making 2 additional parallel cuts where the target is. See crude diagram below.

TOP VIEW OF A PLUG & ADDITIONAL PLUG

Attachments

• plug addition.JPG
    plug addition.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 449

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
TRY THIS MISSISSIPPI BUCKSHOT IN SUMMER !!!!!!!! Besides digging tool i carry hammer and 10 inch chisel !!!!!!! Like digging in cement . >:( Will detect for food........BR...549

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greenswinger, for a couple of weeks I carried a very heavy tool and a ball peen hammer with me. I wound up bending the tool that was 1/8' stainless steel! You could put the tip of a spade in the ground and stand on it with both feet and it wouldn't even penetrate the ground! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread