Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
have been digging a fenced in basketball court at a closed down school in a very small town, been told numerous times of a couple of individuals having previously detected the area hard. i have no idea of what they were using or how but for the most part, there are very few clad except pennies with the occasional dime or nickle being found. i have however, dug a large amount of pull tabs, foil and pull rings which tells me that the other detectors weren't digging them at all. this gives me hope for maybe finding some gold so i will keep plugging away as i can, slowly cleaning out the trash. it really gets old digging those toasted zinc pennies but i dig just about everything except for some of the iron if possible. i almost didn't dig the last silver ring, i was very hot, had been digging coax connecters and was ready to go when i plopped down and dug this one last hit. it is amazing, one silver and you are good for another hour and a half! this is one sport where persistence can really pay off. it just sometimes seems like "are we having fun yet?" when you dig so much trash. still enjoying the finds and discussions. Jerry

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep persistence pays!

I work the retaining wall with rebar in it at he beach...gold medallion!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can think of lots of parks, in lots of cities, that ...... just like your site, can be said to have been "hit hard". Like if you talked to someone who lives across the street, sure: they'll tell you they've seen lots of md'rs there over the years. Yet just like your case, if you were to go there now, turn down the discrimination: You'd find scores of tabs, foil, etc....

The way you're interpretting this set of facts, is that those md'rs who came prior to you were lazy, not-thorough, and risked missing gold rings. But one thing you have know about a lot of turf md'rs, who hunt blighted turf sites like that, is they may have been angling for the deeper silver. And passing the low conductors, and possibly even passing the clad (shallow) as well ! And in some people's mind's eyes, that is utter folly, right? They'd say "Gasp, you may miss a gold ring!".

But there's a lot of hunters who categorize their hunting. For example: If gold rings were my stated goal, then I would NOT be hunting an inner city blighted junky park, TO BEGIN WITH. I would merely go to where gold rings are more likely to be, and where ratios aren't as punishing. Namely: swimming beaches. Why would I want to average 100 tabs and 100 foil wads for each potential gold ring ? You're welcome to go strip-mine turf to find gold if you want, but .... some people go there to eak out silver, wheaties, etc... (deep and high conductors) . And if they want gold, they'd head elsewhere.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I always dig everything. Discriminating detectors are notorious liars.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when you live in the sticks like i do, you go where you can. it is mountains, briars, blackberries and grown up clear cuts and every old house place is pretty much covered in thickets. the "city park" where i hunt has a population of 409 or so, depends. the local swimming areas are like right now, mountain drainages that are either low or ten to twenty feet flood stage. did i mention the cottonmouths? the class ring i found was in a state park swim beach, about two hours away. i am sure that there are still plenty of treasures to find around here but for an older disabled type person, it can be a real challenge, especially when you can barely walk (leg brace). i do plan to hit some other swim type places on other lakes, especially if i am ever able to get an AT Gold or Pro. so what i have learned in life, it is far better to focus on what i can do than what i can't do... even though it has become more limited than what i like. a man has to learn his limitations and to live within them, both physically and financially. and to not give up just because you can't do something as well or as easy as others... a perspective thing. i know an older gentleman that hunts quarters only, i figure he has missed a lot of good stuff. i dig what i can for as long as i can. it is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. i am just thankful to be able to participate in this sport/hobby. Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread