Dime Bonanza.....

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My end of the week boxes did not come in last week. I was they did not have any more halves. My Wednesday box order from a different branch last week was short one box because of the same reason so I guess it is legit.

This actually was a blessing in disguise for me....here is the reason.

I have been searching dimes lately with good success. One day last week I found 39 in one box and had a ball with it.

My husband & I had plans to go to our cabin for the holiday weekend, so since I didn't have any halves to search I decided to load up on boxes of dimes to bring with me. I wanted to bring 4 boxes, but I couldn't get them all at the branch that had the good box (they only let me have one) so I went to 3 other branches. They all would only give me one box each because they were low on dimes.

My buddy at the branch with the good box from last week knows all about silver and pulls all silver dimes when he opens rolls for his tray.....he always tells me how many he has found & actually shows them to me......very nice guy. When I asked for this box Friday...I asked him to grab the box that was underneath the one he gave me last week with the 39.....just a hunch/theory I told him.

Anyway, I got four boxes of dimes. The one my buddy got for me held 20 silver dimes including 2-3 Mercs. It was dated 8-27. After that box was done I looked at the other three and saw another one with the same date. I immediately grabbed that one and started searching. It contained 68 silver dimes with more Mercs and best of all.........a BARBER!!!! Yes, my first Barber dime. When I opened the roll there was 3 silver (edge search) in there. One was so worn the reeded edge was gone. I thought it had a chance to be a Barber and sure enough it was.

Neither of the other two boxes had the same date. One yielded 3 silver dimes and the other was a skunk. But I was plenty satisfied already....lol.

Tomorrow I will cash in and go to all of the branches to see if I can get any more of the 8-27 boxes. I have a good relationship with all of the tellers at each branch but I have my doubts I can get any because all of the branches would only give me one box Friday because they were low on dimes and I know they didn't get any more boxes in at each branch that late in the afternoon on Friday. We'll see...can't hurt to try.

Someone obviously turned in a big collection and they rolled and boxed them on 8-27.

Prior to getting these dimes Friday afternoon, I did a little bank hopping for halves and picked up a little over 20 so it was a good day!

2-64's
3-65's
3-66's
7-67's
6-68's
2-69's
78-Rosie's
12-Mercs
1-Barber

114 Keepers

Attachments

• P8060052.jpg
    P8060052.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 436
  • P8060053.jpg
    P8060053.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 423
  • P8060055.jpg
    P8060055.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
Thats Amazing I cant wait to Find my First Barber!
I want to Come Down Your way and Hunt You Hit The Jack Pot Alot!

Keep Going and Good Luck

CC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Damn LJ!!!
You da man! - I mean da girl!!
That is too cool - Congratulation!!!!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm running out of superlatives LJ !

Most excellent ..................again.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I searched 2 boxes of dimes a few months ago. I found 1-1964 and that was it. The good thing they were in plastic wraps. I just scanned them with the loupe and didn't have to open them.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
The good thing they were in plastic wraps. I just scanned them with the loupe and didn't have to open them.
Do you get strange looks from the tellers when you bring back "factory wrapped" dimes. I did once with dimes and quarters. They really go fast with edge scanning plastic wraps. :D

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

Coinlover said:
nice finds! does it have a mintmark?

No mintmark.

AFModell said:
Pretty nice haul. Youll be outdoing Binions hoard before long.

Thanks. Who is Binions?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be Benny Binion, one of the flamboyant old-time gamblers of Vegas and owner of Binion's Horseshoe since 1951 (he died in 1989) that became legendary as the site of the annual World Series of Poker.

A few years ago an underground vault containing more than $7 million in silver bars and hundreds of thousands of silver dollars was discovered on the outskirts of Vegas when local authorities trailed former Binion associates. They were caught red-handed trying to loot the treasure believed stashed away years ago by Binion.

Once ownership was established, many of the coins were subsequently graded, encased and sold to collectors with the pedigree that they were genuine Binion hoard coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread