Dime Trifecta the hard way – Capped, Barber, & Mercury!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out a few times over the weekend at three different spots. The first spot was an old house that is slated to be demolished. It shows up on the 1867 Atlas, but the oldest thing I found was an 1892-O Barber Dime. I also got a 1917 Mercury dime, 1911 V nickel, a Buffalo nickel, and lots of wheats (not pictured).

I also got a couple hours in on Sunday before the rain hit at one of my pounded colonial sites. I got a King George III and a few buttons.

Monday I took the day off to hit a spot where I have recovered a couple hundred buttons, several large cents, and lots of Indian heads, but only two silvers – a 1903 Barber dime and a 1907 Barber quarter. Based on the age of the buttons and the large cents, I had always hoped to find a Capped or Seated silver here. When I arrived I found the grass was pretty high in most areas, so I moved into an adjacent field that hadn’t given up much in the past, but hadn’t been hunted as hard as the other areas. My first target was a somewhat choppy signal on the Deus that improved as I removed some dirt. Eventually the signal was out of the hole and hiding in a clod of dirt. I broke the clod in half, and saw the rim of a silver coin.
Coin in Dirt.png
I removed a little dirt and took another picture. At this point things are looking good :thumbsup:
Coin in Hand.png
Finally the big reveal....
Coin on Dirt.png
A nice Capped Bust dime. My second Capped Bust silver!
Draped Bust Front.png Draped Bust Back 1.png
And finally the trifecta (plus the KG III)
Coins.png

Upvote 37

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to have a weekend like yours! Congrats!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anytime i see capped, im jealous - congrats!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Just got my first milled real. Hoping the site gives up my first capped now.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, love that capped bust!

jp4077

Oct 21, 2016
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Minelab Equinox 600
White's Surf Dualfield PI
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That Capped Bust Dime is a beauty. Nice going!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES! Capped is at the top of my "Realistic Silver" list. Hearty congrats on the find, as well as managing such a beautiful example.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Steve that's a gorgeous silver! It's an amazing thing when you get the hard to find item that also is in great condition. Glad that was the case for you this time man. I'm dying to find some early US silver!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES! Capped is at the top of my "Realistic Silver" list. Hearty congrats on the find, as well as managing such a beautiful example.
Thanks Z.K. I was due for a nice condition early silver considering the condition of the last two that I dug....

Attachments

• Draped+Bust+Dimes+Front[1].jpg
    Draped+Bust+Dimes+Front[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Draped+Bust+Dimes+Back[1].jpg
    Draped+Bust+Dimes+Back[1].jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Steve that's a gorgeous silver! It's an amazing thing when you get the hard to find item that also is in great condition. Glad that was the case for you this time man. I'm dying to find some early US silver!
Thanks Abe, like I told Z.K, I was due for a nice condition early silver considering the condition of my Draped Bust dimes. Your day will come, enjoy it when it does because they are few and far between....

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to say "SICK Capped bust silver Steve :notworthy:", but then I scrolled down to see your two Draped Bust silvers from the past and now I just want to say "I hate you Steve" :laughing7: That's an great dime trifecta and an incredible bust dime... I rarely dig silver, but when I see an edge sticking out of a clod, its one of the most exciting things to look at... especially when its reeded at an early site. As nice as Spanish silver is, early american silver is even better. Awesome hunt man.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to say "SICK Capped bust silver Steve :notworthy:", but then I scrolled down to see your two Draped Bust silvers from the past and now I just want to say "I hate you Steve" :laughing7: That's an great dime trifecta and an incredible bust dime... I rarely dig silver, but when I see an edge sticking out of a clod, its one of the most exciting things to look at... especially when its reeded at an early site. As nice as Spanish silver is, early american silver is even better. Awesome hunt man.
Thanks brother, but I will admit that I only hunted half heartedly for a while after I dug the Capped Bust. I only put two hours in and only found a flat button after the dime. The grass was kinda high and hard to push the coil through it. I'll come back after the snow flattens things down.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts - Love the drama of seeing that silver Capped Bust sloooowly revealed! :icon_thumright:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Z.K. I was due for a nice condition early silver considering the condition of the last two that I dug....
Nice! I'd be thrilled to have any one of these in this condition! :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow man wow... sort of speechless...

chefjuan