Dime Trifecta the hard way – Capped, Barber, & Mercury!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out a few times over the weekend at three different spots. The first spot was an old house that is slated to be demolished. It shows up on the 1867 Atlas, but the oldest thing I found was an 1892-O Barber Dime. I also got a 1917 Mercury dime, 1911 V nickel, a Buffalo nickel, and lots of wheats (not pictured).

I also got a couple hours in on Sunday before the rain hit at one of my pounded colonial sites. I got a King George III and a few buttons.

Monday I took the day off to hit a spot where I have recovered a couple hundred buttons, several large cents, and lots of Indian heads, but only two silvers – a 1903 Barber dime and a 1907 Barber quarter. Based on the age of the buttons and the large cents, I had always hoped to find a Capped or Seated silver here. When I arrived I found the grass was pretty high in most areas, so I moved into an adjacent field that hadn’t given up much in the past, but hadn’t been hunted as hard as the other areas. My first target was a somewhat choppy signal on the Deus that improved as I removed some dirt. Eventually the signal was out of the hole and hiding in a clod of dirt. I broke the clod in half, and saw the rim of a silver coin.
Coin in Dirt.png
I removed a little dirt and took another picture. At this point things are looking good :thumbsup:
Coin in Hand.png
Finally the big reveal....
Coin on Dirt.png
A nice Capped Bust dime. My second Capped Bust silver!
Draped Bust Front.png Draped Bust Back 1.png
And finally the trifecta (plus the KG III)
Coins.png

Upvote 37

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Steve for taking the day off !

On that note a good friend of mine once said " your not going to see on my headstone "I wish I worked another day""

Nice capped.
Congrats

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so jelly, congrats, someday I'll see it in the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread