Dimes appear to be slowing down.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been running 9-12 boxes of dimes over the past year, getting about 10-15 roosie's per week. Lately it has dropped to 5-8 dimes on the same # of boxes, a lot of skunks at the banks. Maybe I'm drying up my own area, cuz I ask at the banks if there is anyone else doing CHR like me, they all say no. Just the other night checking out a box of dimes, gone thru the entire box getting very few 2009's, no silver in the 49 rolls until I open the LAST roll, a lonely 1943 Merc. One is better than none. Maybe there is NO NEW circulated coins coming into my general area, only the same ones I've been checking. Can't stop now, too addicting. Like a bad habit or vice.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! Dimes have really slowed down! I did 13 dime boxes the other day and got 6 silvers out of them. 2 boxes had 2 silvers in each as well..

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's slowing because all the dime hunters on here are culling so effectively! :laughing7:

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes in the first few months of the year where great for me. It wasnt uncommon to have 4+ in a box. Now 2 in a box is a great box.

I was hitting them hard when the getting was good. But if u average 1 per 1 or 2 boxes searched its not worth it.

Sometimes ill do them if i have no halves to do, but i wont go out of my way for dimes anymore.

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya when I started I was doing upwards of 20-25 boxes a week and avg 2-3 a box when I stopped doing dimes in june (due to every box being new 2013) I wasnt even avg 1 a box- im going to start up again but probably only 10-15 to see how things are

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...so you're saying there's a direct correlation between the # of hunters, volume searched, and the rate of finds?

Sounds like what I am always worried about.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know darn right well that has at least a minor impact on our finds. I bet I got back my dumps several times because I dump $1500 or so in dimes at a time, so that is 6 solid boxes of dumps being put back into circulation 3 weeks after the bank gets my dumps.

Hmmm...so you're saying there's a direct correlation between the # of hunters, volume searched, and the rate of finds?

Sounds like what I am always worried about.

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Ya things are slowing down! Wayyy too Many 2013s put into circulation.. But when those 2014 coins come into circulation.. It will be even harder to find silver! so between now and next year is the time to hit it hard!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without getting to personal with names etc......

I have a good friend who owns a vending machine company. He has a device of sorts, which is part of the coin counter—sorter he owns. As the coins slide down the chute, a really strong magnet separates the clad from the silver. A typical week is about $5,000 in coins, and less than 1% are silver. He told me that as little as 8 years ago the percentage was almost 10%. This sort of fits into my find ratio as well.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is he a Canadian vendor? clad in the US is not magnetic and neither is silver. In Canada, their non-silver coins are generally magnetic(made of steel) and the silver from the old days are not magnetic.

I have a good friend who owns a vending machine company. He has a device of sorts, which is part of the coin counter—sorter he owns. As the coins slide down the chute, a really strong magnet separates the clad from the silver. A typical week is about $5,000 in coins, and less than 1% are silver. He told me that as little as 8 years ago the percentage was almost 10%. This sort of fits into my find ratio as well.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also based off of my average with dimes, out of $5000 worth of dimes i'd average roughly 15 silver dimes... or $1.50/$5,000, or roughly 0.03% of my coins are silver. Almost 0% if you think about it.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you sure it isn't 0.1%? 1% would be a silver dime every $10 - we'd be hitting 25 per box at that percentage.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it isn't 0.1%? 1% would be a silver dime every $10 - we'd be hitting 25 per box at that percentage.

Yep he missed the decimal- I wish I found 1% heck id be happy for .3%

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't verify his figures, so I have to take his word for it.

As for the magnetic properties..... The sandwich material in clad coins causes them to veer off due to eddy currents in the material when is slides over the magnet. This is easy to test. All you need is a very strong magnet like a neodymium. Make yourself a small chute from some stiff paper, and place the magnet near the end of the chute. then slide a few pennies, both clad and pure, down the chute, and watch which direction they veer to.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no way they were 10%, that's 5 silver dimes in every roll

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but yea I've noticed dimes dying too. I think it's related to increased awareness about the value of silver coins in the general public. not too many people are cut out for CRH, but more and more people now know to take those older coins out before dumping their piggy bank into the coin counter. so, the rate of supply going into boxes is drying up, I don't really think the rate of taking them out has increased too appreciably

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10% 8 years ago strikes me as high. Anyway, if he can run the coins through the separating machine quickly and efficiently, culling anything near $50 a week FV of silver is not too shabby.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also based off of my average with dimes, out of $5000 worth of dimes i'd average roughly 15 silver dimes... or $1.50/$5,000, or roughly 0.03% of my coins are silver. Almost 0% if you think about it.

wow that's better than what the bank pays you in interest!!!!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I set a new personal record by finding 19 silver dimes in 1 box.1A roll had 6 dimes & 2 rolls had 3. There were 18 Rosies & 1 Merc.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all depends on the area. Your always going to have ups and downs in this hobby. great months, ok months, terrible months, back to excellent months! Its the nature of the beast. There is no way of knowing what your next round of boxes may bring. Could be nothing, could be epic. It is what it is. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread