Dimes appear to be slowing down.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been running 9-12 boxes of dimes over the past year, getting about 10-15 roosie's per week. Lately it has dropped to 5-8 dimes on the same # of boxes, a lot of skunks at the banks. Maybe I'm drying up my own area, cuz I ask at the banks if there is anyone else doing CHR like me, they all say no. Just the other night checking out a box of dimes, gone thru the entire box getting very few 2009's, no silver in the 49 rolls until I open the LAST roll, a lonely 1943 Merc. One is better than none. Maybe there is NO NEW circulated coins coming into my general area, only the same ones I've been checking. Can't stop now, too addicting. Like a bad habit or vice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunted dimes back in 1980, I find more silver dimes today than I did back then. After five years steady hunting, it's right around 1 per $140-$150, and hasn't changed.

Hard to believe that in 1980 dime hunting results were LESS than today. That's 30-years ago. Didn't know that hunting back then could have produced those results.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe that in 1980 dime hunting results were LESS than today. That's 30-years ago. Didn't know that hunting back then could have produced those results.

Back then silver was almost $50 an ounce and a dollar could buy you much more than today. .. ......

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a teen, but I remember interest rates pushing 20%, high unemployment, recession, and $50 silver. And a lot of roll hunters.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Back then silver was almost $50 an ounce and a dollar could buy you much more than today. .. ......
Not to mention full-page adds in the newspaper offering to buy silver. Long lines at the local coin shop, sellers and roll hunters capitalizing on the Hunt bros. demand for silver, in their quest to corner the market.

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty much ditto all the previous comments. I used to exclusively search Dimes, and have found my hit ratio fall off the face of the planet practically overnight.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things.

What is actually causing the coins to veer off course as it were, is eddy currents in the coin as it passes over the magnet. The coin doesn't have to be magnetic for this to occur.

Some one mentioned about good days, bad days, etc. I went nearly 3 years without finding one silver coin. Then bang! I found 4 in one day! They were all dimes. The very next day I dug up a silver quarter. That was about 2 years ago, and I haven't found any more.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of things.

What is actually causing the coins to veer off course as it were, is eddy currents in the coin as it passes over the magnet. The coin doesn't have to be magnetic for this to occur.

Some one mentioned about good days, bad days, etc. I went nearly 3 years without finding one silver coin. Then bang! I found 4 in one day! They were all dimes. The very next day I dug up a silver quarter. That was about 2 years ago, and I haven't found any more.
You have to get out more my friend. I no longer have to look, as they bring the silver to me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread