Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I have. Can be quite bad if machine is out of calibration. I have dumped a couple thousand dimes and had up to 50 counted as pennies. I know they were since I only had dimes in the dump.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all i can say is, experiment with each bank's coin counter, and use the most reliable ones.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try dumping into the machine a little SLOWER, but yet enough at a time to keep the sorter spinning & counting. I have found that if too much is in the hopper it try's to force dimes in the penny slots just by the mere centrifugal force and quantity weight. Just my thoughts.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This may not work for everyone, but I was dumping $500-$1k in dimes at a time, into A DeLaRue counter. Sometimes, 10-50 dimes counted as cents. No problem, I take my receipt to the front and the teller credits my account later, when they check the cent bag on the machine, and see the dimes. This happened every so often and the tellers are quite courteous.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every machine is different. Even machines that were once accurate can become out of calibration. Not every bank is accommodating when the machine is out of whack. I've seen several signs at coin counters stating something similar to, "You will receive the total that the machine says. No exceptions. If you do not agree to these terms, please refrain from using the machine."

Test a machine before using it to dump large amounts. Hand count ~$50 in dimes so that you know EXACTLY what the total should be. Dump 'em in and see what happens.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an entire box of dimes counted as cents before. Luckily, they were nice and checked the bags and saw that the cent bag was filled with dimes. So they gave me the $250 instead of the $25 the ticket read.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is wise to be cautious with dimes. It is true that dimes can sometimes count as cents and end up in the cent bag. If that happens on a large scale, you might be able to get some relief from the vault teller if there are a lot of dimes in the cent bag.

However, there is another counting error that happens. Dimes can piggyback through the mech and count 1 for 2. I had a vault teller tell me that that problem was more common with his counter than to have dimes count as cents.

In any case, the best strategy is to feed in "bins" of known count. Don't feed additional bins unless the count is tracking accurately.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this problem. If I feed very slowly, it reduces but does not eliminate the problem.

I had over a dollar's worth of dimes count as pennies a few weeks ago, and said "I'm not trying to get any money back, but just so you know, your machine isn't counting accurately, it counted X worth of dimes as pennies."

They said "Our machine is accurate" in a snotty defensive tone (trying to make me feel dumb about it).

I said "No, I know what I put in, and it was entirely dimes and it was miscounting them throughout the run. I don't want to argue over a few bucks, but you should know it's not running right."

Then they got all huffy because I didn't just agree with them.

Then they accidentally gave me $50 more in bills than I was supposed to get back. I told them they gave me $50 too much and just grinned because it proved that I was trustworthy and they can't count their own money, so why should I trust what they say about the machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions