First silver dollar

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I was doing some running around with my brother. I had him stop at a few banks so I could get some change to look through. The first bank I got a few hundred dollars in coins and moved on. The second bank was super busy for a Saturday. I got my standard trays of coins and asked if they had any large dollar coins. She said normally they don't but today they did. I asked if I could purchase them and she said sure how many? I said all if possible and she smiled and said they have over 300. I only had 220 left and took 220 and left. I start unrolling them and found a crime plated, 6 type 2 1972 ikes and a silver proof 1976 type 1! I'm selling my rejects today and calling the bank at 9:01 tomorrow to see if they still have the rest and will go buy them.

Awesome start to the new year. The pics aren't great but I'm 98% sure of the silver and type 2s. Also found 3 silver dimes in $200 Cwr and mwr rolls from the adventure. $200 quarters were a skunk as well as $80 in nickels.

View attachment 1255301 View attachment 1255302

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
98% sure of the silver. Just turn them on edge and if the edge is silver and not cooper then you have a silver one. Turn them all on edge and up load a pic

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Type 2. You can sell for a pretty price.

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Type 2. You can sell for a pretty price.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get about $15-20 for each one but we'll see.

I went back to the branch that had all the ikes trying to buy the rest of them. I got the teller who had them in her vault but she refused to sell the rest to me. She made a statement they aren't all silver right. I said no they are not but I was probably too eager coming back first thing when they reopened. May never know what was in that last 100 or so.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like fishing! Too eager you break the line.

Think this way you can't get all the fish in the ocean!

OP
OP
S

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The rim on the far right is a 1971 s the middle is the 1976 s that I think is silver and the far left is a clad 1976. The weight is correct as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread