Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a quick break in the cold and it actually broke 40 degrees. It had rained the night before and combined with the warm temperature, it melted the snow. I was itching to go out so I thought I'd try a baseball field I never hunted, but assumed it had been hunted many times. Got there and found the gates to the field were locked up tight. I figured I'd hit the woods behind and see if I could pull something. Fortunately I had on a rain coat as the rain started to come down harder. Off into the woods I went and after about 15 minutes I get a nice signal. I dug down and low and behold it was a sterling silver fork. 2 - 3 feet away I get a similar signal and out comes a second fork. When I got home I put them on the scale and they weighed out at 84 grams. I also added a silver quarter while I was there. It started to rain quite hard so I didn't stay for long. Not bad for less than an hour. I looked up the Towle silver pattern "Old Lace" and it was issued in 1939. Currently it's 5 degrees with wind chills at about -10. Doesn't look like I'm going to do and detecting the next few days, but it was nice to get out for a short period and come up with silver like this.
DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0083.JPG

Upvote 3

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW you found towle silver in NY ! I live less than 10 minutes away from the towle silver smith shop which is a doctors office now . congrats !!!! the first piece of silver I ever found was a towle spoon from the marie Chilton collection 2yrs ago and ever since the silver train keeps rolling. towle was the best silversmith in my area for a longtime

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tanz, I know Towle is a very good name in silver. I was quite surprised when the second piece came out of the ground a few feet away from the first. Can't quite figure out how there could be 2 pieces so bent up so close together. Did the kids take their parents silver to go dig in the dirt? With one piece bent at a 90 degree angle and the other with such twisted tines I can't figure this one out. Needless to say, the first chance I get I'm going back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread