Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew the minute Dakota Fred was placed on the mine that the Hoffmans were NOT going to remain on it much longer much less remain on the lease.

I came to this for several reasons;
1. The Hoffmans are one big joke! If I was to do ANY SORT of mining, especially ground work. I would research and learn ALL safety construction, hazards, equipment, etc. All it takes is for 1 person to get injured and OSHA will have a hay day!

2. Fred worked the Porcupine before AND recovered gold and is friends with Mr Foster.

3. I would be ANY AMOUNT of money, (as I told some on here already), that Discovery WILL air another gold mining team along with the Hoffmans, just like they did with Axe Men, Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, etc. You can bet Fred and Discovery made a deal with each other and when next season starts, I bet ANYONE $100.00 Discovery airs the Hoffmans AND Fred on their mines!

I am with Klondike on how the old timers did it back in their day and what people do today. Back then the old timers did by trial and error and did what it took to survive. People today would get freaked out and lost if they didn't have their Starbucks Coffee and video games, much less expect them to fend for themselves out in the wilderness!

People today have the resources available and most are too lazy to look things up needed to survive right in front of them. What do you think 99.9% of the people would do if they went to the grocery store and found no more food? Only 1% would know how to grow, hunt for food, etc.

I would like to do something this year looking for gold but it looks like I am on deployment list for June again and I won't know if I am actually going until I got orders and a plane ready to ship me out, in fact I won't truly believe it until I am in mid flight landing in the Gan. That is another bet I got going on with guys in my unit, but that is another story after the last 4 feasco when we were supposed to deploy the last 3 years! Go figure!

Now on the "NEW" equipment the Hoffmans are getting, it seems they are going way over board like they are going full scale mining. Don't really think they need a dump truck that big, but one that size, they will need a much bigger excavator to load it!

I see ole Jack driving over everything in it's path trying to figure out where he can go with it. I would almost bet someones vehicle gets run over with it! And Todd said he is bringing his family? WTH? Big equipment and kids don't mix on a job site much less a mine!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I just can't wait, its gonna be a hoot.

Think about it. Now all old Fred has to do, is to dress up the hole the Hoffmans dug. Gonna save him a lot of time and money. :icon_scratch:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
I just can't wait, its gonna be a hoot.

Think about it. Now all old Fred has to do, is to dress up the hole the Hoffmans dug. Gonna same him a lot of time and money. :icon_scratch:

Yeah it doesn't look like the Hoffman's are going to get their equipment out of Porcupine Creek either, unless Mr Foster and Fred gives them 24hrs to move it or lose it! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I do understand only too well, I guess I have always rooted for the underdog and appreciate constructive criticism. I just hate to see these guys way in over there heads take on such a project and get their heads bashed in because they didn't do it right the first time. I'm not sure they have learned their lesson yet though. As has HarleyMan2 questioned the size of the Uke they are buying. Unless they are going to run the operation several miles from where they are getting the material, it is overkill. Well I wish them well. Klondike let us know how you do on your project in the lower 48.
Wayne

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
UKE = Mucho Diesel... :icon_scratch:

Hopefully that was just for show. Cost would be way out of their ballpark. A replacement tire for it would be out of mine. :(

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently having the number one show on Discovery Channel with over 65 million viewers has attracted some serious investors along with a bigger payday from the Network.

So it looks like it's going to be yet another season for us to learn even more from watching their mistakes. Only this time around they will be on a richer claim and will be operating more expensive equipment.

You have to give them credit for thinking big. :icon_thumleft:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
these guys did what they had todo! even if it was wrong, they had to try to salvage their credit and homes for their familys! yep they made lots of mistakes. just like we did when we just started out.should they lose their lease? well the claim owner has a vested interest in makeing money off whomever is leasing his claim.he gets a percentage of the gold. if they arent getting the amount of gold that the owner thinks they should then he has to get someone in there that will produce his estimates or he is loseing money! shame on the owner for not checking into these guys ability/knowledge to do just that! so i see they didnt get that lease renewed and are going else where. probly Fred will come in (now that the hole is open)and get what they could get to in thier first season. Fred and the owner should do well! plus now they to can be on TV for all to watch!and the saga continues!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the sounds of what Ike says there least problems are big trucks.....MSHA is nothing to mess with and any enviro permits they didnt get will run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say Discovery CH should ditch the Hoffmans and stick with Dakota Fred and his crew on Porcupine Creek for season 2. Lets see what is at the bottom of that hole, I'm curious.
Or maybe show both parties as they do with the crab boats on Deadliest Catch. Maybe a little friendly competition not really any comparison in experience.

Doesn't matter how good of a claim you give them, I am really not all that interrested in watching the Hoffman's anymore and their lack of________, _________, __________, ..........

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
From the sounds of what Ike says there least problems are big trucks.....MSHA is nothing to mess with and any enviro permits they didnt get will run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines

I can hear it now: "We weren't 'really' mining. We were just making a show. We are as much miners as Dr House is a doctor."

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Kudos to the owner as newbies do the work and him and Fred get to reap the profits from their ignorance. A scenario I've seen 1,000 a times over the decades and IT WORKS TOO. Free annual labor--free exploration---and the oro puro deposit remains and your good to go--John :icon_scratch: not a morals issue just the way it goes ifn' ya don't move fast enough,good enough or long enough.....

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
John you are correct, look at the money and time it has saved Old Fred. Hope he thanked them. :icon_scratch:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know guys. The hole in the ground may be an asset but the tailings are a liability. The mine owner may even be on the hook for fines for not filing a reclamation plan and permit. If they did any reclamation they sure didn't air it.

"Reclamation of all affected surfaces shall be completed as soon as is reasonable after affected surface areas are no longer being used in exploration and mining operations. Reclamation shall include the following: cleanup and disposal of dangerous, hazardous or toxic materials; regrading of steep slopes of unconsolidated material to create a stable slope; backfilling underground shafts and tunnels to the extent appropriate pillaring or other support to prevent subsidence or sloughing; plugging or sealing of abandoned shafts, tunnels, adits or other openings; adequate steps to control or avoid soil erosion or wind erosion; control of water runoff; revegetation of tailings and affected surface areas with plant materials that are capable of self-regeneration without continued dependence on irrigation and equipment where appropriate; rehabilitation of fisheries and wildlife habitat; and any other conditions imposed by the commission. Subsequent to the issuance of a permit or the grant of authority under an exploration notice, the operator's compliance shall be measured against the requirements contained in that permit or the conditions of the exploration notice and the operator's plans submitted with the permit application or the notice."

I still say they nuked that piece of property. I'd lein all their equipment. But then remember it is TV. We only know what they show.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
I don't know guys. The hole in the ground may be an asset but the tailings are a liability. The mine owner may even be on the hook for fines for not filing a reclamation plan and permit. If they did any reclamation they sure didn't air it.

"Reclamation of all affected surfaces shall be completed as soon as is reasonable after affected surface areas are no longer being used in exploration and mining operations. Reclamation shall include the following: cleanup and disposal of dangerous, hazardous or toxic materials; regrading of steep slopes of unconsolidated material to create a stable slope; backfilling underground shafts and tunnels to the extent appropriate pillaring or other support to prevent subsidence or sloughing; plugging or sealing of abandoned shafts, tunnels, adits or other openings; adequate steps to control or avoid soil erosion or wind erosion; control of water runoff; revegetation of tailings and affected surface areas with plant materials that are capable of self-regeneration without continued dependence on irrigation and equipment where appropriate; rehabilitation of fisheries and wildlife habitat; and any other conditions imposed by the commission. Subsequent to the issuance of a permit or the grant of authority under an exploration notice, the operator's compliance shall be measured against the requirements contained in that permit or the conditions of the exploration notice and the operator's plans submitted with the permit application or the notice."

I still say they nuked that piece of property. I'd lein all their equipment. But then remember it is TV. We only know what they show.

Are they done mining at that spot?

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE OLD MAN SAID, :icon_thumleft: THEY ARE NOT DONE AT PORCUPINE. He knows they are now on the gold. they will be back . :hello2:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the Hoffman circus is head to the klondike outside of Dawson, better ground but it don't matter as I have no hope for them, at least that is what the last episode lead one to believe.

I still would like to see what Fred and his new crew finds at Porcupine Creek, how about the Neighbor too. Wonder if the owner would let me dredge, nah, probably too deep to bedrock for my liking.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find a way to get on Fred's crew!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I also went to the Glory Hole website. You can't leave comments anymore. Some how it has been blocked!

snowdog20

Feb 20, 2011
Besides just the plan of ops you must file for, what also isn't mentioned is that in the state of Alaska you must file and pay royalties on a gold claim every year. Failure to do so will result in the state taking the claim!

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I've been wrestling and coaching wrestling (club and high school) for 35+ years. You will see no bigger EGO's anywhere in the world but I must say that I'm suprised that Gold miners have EGO's that would rival any I have seen. No disrespect to anyone but why on earth would another "outfit" feel the need to "deliver" citations for a Governmental Group writing citations based on a TV show? Seems like a bit of jealousy or sour grapes to me. Otherwise why concern yourself and interject yourself into their business? I'm sure you will use the excuse that you are "concerned" with what they are doing but I don't buy it. I don't think you would take kindly to someone setting up cameras at your dig just to threaten you with "citations" especially if they were some random group or another mining company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread