Dishonorable Deed by Dirty Skunk

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to a site I had metal detected a couple weeks ago, and when I walked past a spot where I had dug a target, I noted that the hole had been reopened. I filled it in and replaced the plug as best I could. Then I went to check a second plug not far from it and found that it had been dug out also. This made me go check the remaining 5 plugs that I had dug, and sure enough all of them had been dug up. In some cases the loose dirt had washed away in recent rains so I had to go find more dirt to properly fill the holes. Treasure.net members have warned that skunks will dig out plugs to find grubs, and I am sure that happened here because I definitely took care to properly fill in the holes after digging the Targets on this site. The person living on this property knew that I had filled the holes, but I was not happy that some critter made me look like a slob who left the holes open. This property is in a very remote area, and wildlife is abundant so I will have to find out how to prevent this from happening again. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A sprinkle of black pepper around the plug perhaps? Or would that be a bad idea?

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A shotgun. Um, I mean, a box trap to humanely capture and relocate the nuisance.

The only problem I ever have with creatures is my cats coming up to my hole before I replace my hole to do their 'business'.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
skunks can be repelled with mothballs...maybe chucking 1 or 2 back in with your backfill material. Be warned lots of people can also be repelled with mothballs. While this could be desirable in some cases, a set of rubber gloves would probably help cut down on the number of little kids holding their noses and pointing at you if you stopped for bread and milk on the way home.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have skunks & coons do that in the back of my place at night ........... I never found away to stop them ....... So i just let them do there thing at night............ And in the day i do mine by trying to make the back look better....... So it don't really bother me for i like to watch wildlife............... And the only way i shoot wildlife is with a camera................ The only thing i would shoot is if it put me or my pets in danger or if it had rabies ........ .....

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had this happen too, but I figured it was moles or gophers. Makes sense that some other animal finds and easy way to dig for some worms for dinner. yuck.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only idea ever came up with was bamboo skewers.
Just shove one or two in the center of the plug angled out to the opposite side of the grass hinge and into the surrounding undisturbed earth to pin it down.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I have had this happen to me, and have posted on the topic a few times. I also take care in replacing my plugs and disappointed when they are pulled out by them dirty skunks. This has happened again a few times this spring.
I haven't done anything different other than stomp my plugs harder in these areas. I mean really stomp my plugs. My guess is the mothballs, black pepper, ammonia drops, hand grenades, all that could/would work. But I haven't tried them.
I have been noticing grubs in quite a few of the holes I've been digging and Im guessing that they are June bugs? !?!?!?
If you try something and it seems to work, let me know. I just haven't wanted to drag something else along. About the only thing left, other than that, is the kitchen sink. And it would be handy too!

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this happen to me, and have posted on the topic a few times. I also take care in replacing my plugs and disappointed when they are pulled out by them dirty skunks. This has happened again a few times this spring.
I haven't done anything different other than stomp my plugs harder in these areas. I mean really stomp my plugs. My guess is the mothballs, black pepper, ammonia drops, hand grenades, all that could/would work. But I haven't tried them.
I have been noticing grubs in quite a few of the holes I've been digging and Im guessing that they are June bugs? !?!?!?
If you try something and it seems to work, let me know. I just haven't wanted to drag something else along. About the only thing left, other than that, is the kitchen sink. And it would be handy too!

I am tempted to try some hot sauce.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually I have an idea. I used to put liquid ammonia on our trash bags to keep critters from dragging trash out in yard and it worked. Also used dish detergent with success. Critters would smell or bite into bag and be repelled by odor/taste. Wonder if that would work if grass was marked with it? Hmmm might even try peeing on it. LOL!!!

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this happen a few times. I stomp my plugs real hard and then cover them up with leaves. That seemed to help.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have skunks & coons do that in the back of my place at night ........... I never found away to stop them ....... So i just let them do there thing at night............ And in the day i do mine by trying to make the back look better....... So it don't really bother me for i like to watch wildlife............... And the only way i shoot wildlife is with a camera................ The only thing i would shoot is if it put me or my pets in danger or if it had rabies ........ .....

Getting rid of a rabid carcass would be a big problem. Especially with contaminated blood all over the place. Would probably have to go get rabies shots after cleaning up the mess.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut just a three sided plug or a slit. That should help reduce that problem. If you cut a full plug, lawn mowers can suck it out of the ground also. If you start using ammonia or other chemicals, you're likely to kill the grass or at least get the EPA on your case.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut just a three sided plug or a slit. That should help reduce that problem. If you cut a full plug, lawn mowers can suck it out of the ground also. If you start using ammonia or other chemicals, you're likely to kill the grass or at least get the EPA on your case.

That is probably true of ammonia, but if I did use it it would be just a small amount. I think a slit is a good recommendation maybe even use of screwdriver would help.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cayenne pepper works great. You can buy a small container in the spice section of the market.

Thanks for the tip.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
The lawn mower grabs the plug and pulls the plug up.When the mower blade grabs the plug it pulls the dirt out as if the hole was dug out again.Just pack the plug good.There is no skunk digging in your old holes.The lawn mower is what is doing it!

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lawn mower grabs the plug and pulls the plug up.When the mower blade grabs the plug it pulls the dirt out as if the hole was dug out again.Just pack the plug good.There is no skunk digging in your old holes.The lawn mower is what is doing it!

I would agree it is very possible and makes sense, but a least two of the holes were at the base of big trees where a lawn mower cannot mow and those plugs were removed too. I do know that every hole I dug had several grubs in them when retrieving targets. The grass was pretty
high when I returned to the site a couple weeks later and found the holes reopened so I am not even sure the grass was mowed after I replaced the plugs initially. In any case, from now on I will pack the holes sufficiently.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
A friend had the same problem an finally figured it out squirrels were watching him and dig them up to see what he doing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread