Dishonorable Deed by Dirty Skunk

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to a site I had metal detected a couple weeks ago, and when I walked past a spot where I had dug a target, I noted that the hole had been reopened. I filled it in and replaced the plug as best I could. Then I went to check a second plug not far from it and found that it had been dug out also. This made me go check the remaining 5 plugs that I had dug, and sure enough all of them had been dug up. In some cases the loose dirt had washed away in recent rains so I had to go find more dirt to properly fill the holes. Treasure.net members have warned that skunks will dig out plugs to find grubs, and I am sure that happened here because I definitely took care to properly fill in the holes after digging the Targets on this site. The person living on this property knew that I had filled the holes, but I was not happy that some critter made me look like a slob who left the holes open. This property is in a very remote area, and wildlife is abundant so I will have to find out how to prevent this from happening again. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grate some bar soap. Put se around it and that'll keep them away. When planting seeds in our garden animals would dig it up because they think another animal has buried food there. So they try and steal it. But if you plant in a ditch row them cover them back up they won't dig. So when we put our seed in the hole we'd soap it.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set a Alka-Seltzer just under a few loose plugs, if you come back to random dead squirrels you know its a squirrel problem =P ,Dogs can fart so no harm to them, not sure about a skunk lol. I have heard ground Cayenne pepper works but make sure the owner doesn't have a dog or child playing in the yard first.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grate some bar soap. Put se around it and that'll keep them away. When planting seeds in our garden animals would dig it up because they think another animal has buried food there. So they try and steal it. But if you plant in a ditch row them cover them back up they won't dig. So when we put our seed in the hole we'd soap it.

Great idea

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set a Alka-Seltzer just under a few loose plugs, if you come back to random dead squirrels you know its a squirrel problem =P ,Dogs can fart so no harm to them, not sure about a skunk lol. I have heard ground Cayenne pepper works but make sure the owner doesn't have a dog or child playing in the yard first.

Another good idea

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend had the same problem an finally figured it out squirrels were watching him and dig them up to see what he doing

There are definitely squirrels there. In fact the big oaks where two holes were opened are hangouts for the squirrels.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you mentioned an actual skunk, I really thought that you were going to tell us that someone reopened the holes to make it look like you were a hack detectorist.. It was the thread title.. That's how my mind works 8-)

Well I wondered if someone had done it too, but a TN member had previously warned about skunks.....peppy la pew type...reopening holes to get grubs.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this happen to me, and have posted on the topic a few times. I also take care in replacing my plugs and disappointed when they are pulled out by them dirty skunks. This has happened again a few times this spring.
I haven't done anything different other than stomp my plugs harder in these areas. I mean really stomp my plugs. My guess is the mothballs, black pepper, ammonia drops, hand grenades, all that could/would work. But I haven't tried them.
I have been noticing grubs in quite a few of the holes I've been digging and Im guessing that they are June bugs? !?!?!?
If you try something and it seems to work, let me know. I just haven't wanted to drag something else along. About the only thing left, other than that, is the kitchen sink. And it would be handy too!

Good info, thanks

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails say the word and I can loan you my Pitbull for a couple days......free of charge, guarantee pest control hahaha

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails say the word and I can loan you my Pitbull for a couple days......free of charge, guarantee pest control hahaha

Pit bull vs skunk....hmmmm I am sure pit bull would win the fight but not before being sprayed.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wash her off with tomato sauce but she kills everything that walks across my backyard. Just saying

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard the same thing about lawnmowers pulling the plug out. I wonder if you could trim the grass at the top of the plug to give it more "rooting time" for the grass to grow, or sticking a wooden rod into it below the dirt level in order to hold the plug down. Impractical I agree, but it would be better than losing a chance to go back to the yard.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use proper retrieval techniques, plug loss shouldn't be a problem.

1BDI

Aug 13, 2013
Keizer, Oregon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use tabasco sauce. animals and critters cant stand it. I use it for other reasons, I will now use it for my plugs.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard the same thing about lawnmowers pulling the plug out. I wonder if you could trim the grass at the top of the plug to give it more "rooting time" for the grass to grow, or sticking a wooden rod into it below the dirt level in order to hold the plug down. Impractical I agree, but it would be better than losing a chance to go back to the yard.

I'm worried about this at my place. I live in a apartment and was digging last night. Most of the dirt was potting soil wher I was digging. Went out this morning and looked and the plugs had popped up a little overnight, I'm guessing decompressing. Hope they don't get sucked up or I'm in trouble.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just cut a 3 sided plug and the 4th side is still attached, where's it going to go? Just press it down a little firmer. If you cut a full plug, you're in trouble, because even if the plug stays in the ground, it's likely going to die anyway.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just cut a 3 sided plug and the 4th side is still attached, where's it going to go? Just press it down a little firmer. If you cut a full plug, you're in trouble, because even if the plug stays in the ground, it's likely going to die anyway.

I normally do the three side plug, but at this site some of my targets were too big and I had to make the holes larger. That was a problem.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What in the world are you digging up?? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What in the world are you digging up?? :icon_scratch:

It was an old tack shop. Found buried tools, old iron, etc. started out with small hole about 3x3 inches and it ended up being 6x6 inches. Hinged plug at start but didn't last when made larger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread