Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was down the beach today for some detection time after work. Wasn't finding anything at the water line so I decided to hit the dunes.. Few pull tabs, bottle caps and a lead sinker. Sun Started to fade so I made my way back up the beach following the waterline.. Bam! A signal. I started to dig down through the sand and hit the water, at this stage I'm pretty much slushing the watery sand mix out of the hole with my hand trowel (no sand scoop yet), checked the hole.. It's out ! As I scraped back the sand and scanned with my pinpointer I revealed a crusty bluey green round thing.. But wait.. I see gold! A ring! At this point my heart is pumping and my smile was from ear to ear. Needless to say after a quick swing around the area I decided to pack it in and head homeward. Any way to cut it short it's not gold. When I got home I was breaking the crust off (gently) the bloody thing broke, along with all my dreams :( guess the crusty corrosion wouldn't be there if it was real gold?

image-2388600419.jpg

image-2650316819.jpg

image-2998984620.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it's my first ring :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the good news is it's not your last ! Gold will show up!
I get a little excited when detector says ring and indeed it is but, detector also bounced around saying penny. Yep! Copper core junk ring!

Congrats on your first ring! May the rest be silver and gold!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know its not gold? To me it looks very much "goldish" from your pictures. What do you mean when you say it broke? What was the color inside of the broken part? I would get a gold test kit from amazon (~$20) I believe.
I agree, of course it might be gold gilt?

OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know its not gold? To me it looks very much "goldish" from your pictures. What do you mean when you say it broke? What was the color inside of the broken part? I would get a gold test kit from amazon (~$20) I believe.

You know what Perses, I was kind of thinking the same thing on closer inspection.. It sort of broke away with some of the crust, like it's really brittle. Looks a little goldish black where it broke, I'm starting to think it might not even be a ring either, the bottom part looks to thin and has a sharp edge.. Anyway I'm taking it in to my local md shop today to see what I have found.

OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-149112563.jpg

image-1722387294.jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that sure looks like gold to me but of course I'm not holding it in my hand either.

OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-4028680082.jpg

The bottom almost looks like it could be the face off a watch or something, even looks like there was glass or something flat inside

image-1138872202.jpg

But then it has a raised crown top edge like a ring

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd def test that it really looks like gold from pics. Maybe a watch or some type of jewelry.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate when that happens. Means you are in the right spot....it's yellow cousin is out there. Good luck.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10k and 14k will do this depending on what it's alloyed with, would absolutely NOT write this off as fake. I have found dozens of real gold rings that looked even worse than this and were extremely brittle. File down one of the broken edges... if it's gold all the way thru, you most likely have 10k. The crust will come off with a little electrolysis.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mount for a sovereign ring, and is Gold, the green could have come from some thing that was corrosive, and close by to the ring.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
Eagleye

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow! Thanks Silver searcher. ....... Now where is the sovereign? I just came back from another hunt in the same spot and didn't find a lot, but guess where I'll be this afternoon at low tide.. :)

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice id now go find that coin.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow! Thanks Silver searcher. ....... Now where is the sovereign? I just came back from another hunt in the same spot and didn't find a lot, but guess where I'll be this afternoon at low tide.. :)
Good luck :thumbsup: Hopefully the Sovereign will turn up.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions