spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several singers whose voices are so distinctive they cannot be mistaken for anyone else. Whether the voice is raspy, or has some sort of affliction there is no mistaken their identity. They are not always the most melodic, but certainly stand out in a crowd. Three of my favorites are Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, and Phil Collins. All of these singers even when playing with their respective bands were great, but only improved once they went solo. I am sure that you may have several favorites that would fit in this category so feel free to add them.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
right away Dylan comes to mind! definately distinctive. First time I saw him live, I thought wow, he really sounds like that....even worse! But, after a few minutes he just sounded awesome!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so 100% percent on the money there. I was never a big fan of his performances, even when the Band was backing him up, but his voice is probably one of the most recognizable voices out there. The best part of Dylan is his song writing abilities, along with Jim Morrison one of the best poet song writers out there. As far as women performers I would list my 2 favorite as Janis Joplin and Cindi Lauper.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
If you like the poet types, check out Leonard Cohen on Peacocks thread.

Was never really inti Jim Morrison. But I do love roadhouse.
I am a HUGE Van Morrison fan, tho :)

Yup, Janis and Cindy are right up there.
I've always liked Cher's voice. And Tina Turner's.
But my ultimate female voice is Della Reese.

Back to distinctive; tho.............
Elvis :)
To hear some one else covering one of his tunes is almost blasphemy to me
Same with Johnny Cash :)

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
distinctive.....Righteous Brothers(everyone who covers their songs butches them), CCR, Guns N Roses, Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, Allison Krause, Van Morrison, Three Days Grace....my two cents

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grace slick

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Paul Stanley of KISS

Axl Rose of Guns & Roses

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of your choices are all great singers, I was looking for the ones that weren't so melodic in tone. Dylan is surely one of them. I was never a big fan of his singing, but loved his writing. Axl is another, that I might squeeze in, but he can really belt out a tune.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm mostly a country girl, but, Bob Dylan, without a doubt, Johnny Cash, Cher, Loretta Lynn, Tom T. Hall, Waylon - and of course, nobody sounds like Willie Nelson or Harry Chapin - always could tell, Gordon Lightfoot, CCC (as a group). For the "real oldy" in me, Peter, Paul and Mary always sounded like Peter, Paul and Mary, no matter what they sang. John Denver, I could always pick his stuff out, even when he did a new song, and Johnny Horton.

Gee, I think its time to "plug in" to Rhapsody and listen to some tunes!!!

Beth

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if he is old, bearded and married and stoned, Willie could put his shoes under my bed anyday. Oooops, did I say that??????

I like Willie Nelson :help:

B

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Many of your choices are all great singers, I was looking for the ones that weren't so melodic in tone. Dylan is surely one of them. I was never a big fan of his singing, but loved his writing. Axl is another, that I might squeeze in, but he can really belt out a tune.

Can't get anymore Less Melodic
then

Or The Captain
Could Listen to him all day

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
spartacus53 said:

Can't get anymore Less Melodic
then

Or The Captain
Could Listen to him all day

Yup, Captain Beefheart was just a poor singer, and not unlike David Peel below. It was a waste of wax recording them. My point was singers that are great, even without having great voices.

Here's a little peel for you. I listed him in another post as the worst singer, but you have a good argument by throwing Captain Beefheart into the mix. :laughing9:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm also a Peel Fan.

Bought several of his Cassettes
from him in '89 when he was Selling Bootleg Copies.

Are they actually Bootleg
If the singer sells them ?
I Don't know

But he was Very Cool
Is he still alive ?

The FBI Once Thought David Peel was John Lennon :tongue3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Peel_(musician)

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is still alive and kicking and very much still out there, in more ways than one. I know at the time of George Carlins death, he later dropped in a local bar and played some. I wish I could post it, but can't due to the subject nature and cursing. Funniest part is that he broke into Yoko Ono for a while on one song. All in all, he was really a funny and down to earth guy and it showed in all of his songs. I haven't been to the village in a while, but I can bet he'll be on the street in the summertime. You gotta love NYC's free entertainment network. As I mentioned earlier, he and Lennon were good friends and could always be found walking around. I had spent time talking with David, but I was always in awe of Lennon and would just say hello and keep my mouth shut. Ahhh the good old days.

As far as your second question, I guess they are bootlegs because the record companies never got a cut of the proceeds. David worked the system from both ends

realsilvergirl

Greenie
Apr 4, 2010
eastern iowa
ignore the clothes but listen to the whole thing trust me - live is what made them:

at least listen to 4:00 or so

this is the character of bono that heath ledger used to create his own joker

this right after his dad died----dedicated to him

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread