Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I still dive according to the U.S. Navy tables, my depth gauge, and my watch. For years I have been watching divers using dive computers, and I admit I've been curious.

The Mares Puck wrist dive computer is on sale for $150. Anybody use one of these? I'm thinking about getting it as a back-up, i.e. still plan my dives according to the tables, relying on my depth gauge and watch, but use the computer as a alternate and go with whichever one is more conservative.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any DC is better than tables unless you are planning deco dives!

Dive tables are so antiquated that yes, you are still diving like a dinosaur. Diver training doesn't even teach tables any more other than as a side note for what is going on in the basis of operation of computers. I prefer a wrist computer also. I'd have to research the MAres Puck before recommend for or against it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, after a little reading I think this would be a good first DC for you. Simple to operate, and lots of positive reviews.

Only downside I would say is that it's manually activated, which means you will have to push the button to turn it on before diving. Some computers are water activated which means you just step off and it instantly turns on when water touches the contacts.

Mares computers are considered conservative, which means they will give shorter NDLs, especially on successive dives in a day when compared to other brands. Thats not a real problem though, as some people like the extra safety factor it gives. It will still give you MUCH longer dive times (and much more realistic) tissue loading compared to dive tables.

On more thing.... DC's HATE rapid ascents. If you are going up too fast it will start screaming at you.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, after a little reading I think this would be a good first DC for you. Simple to operate, and lots of positive reviews.

Only downside I would say is that it's manually activated, which means you will have to push the button to turn it on before diving. Some computers are water activated which means you just step off and it instantly turns on when water touches the contacts.

Mares computers are considered conservative, which means they will give shorter NDLs, especially on successive dives in a day when compared to other brands. Thats not a real problem though, as some people like the extra safety factor it gives. It will still give you MUCH longer dive times (and much more realistic) tissue loading compared to dive tables.

On more thing.... DC's HATE rapid ascents. If you are going up too fast it will start screaming at you.

Ok Jason, you sold me. I just ordered the Mares. Thanks for the info. To start out, I will continue to use the tables, compare them to what the Mares is saying, and go with the more conservative of the two.

I don't plan any deco dives, but I do make repetitive dives.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok Jason, you sold me. I just ordered the Mares. Thanks for the info. To start out, I will continue to use the tables, compare them to what the Mares is saying, and go with the more conservative of the two.

You'll definitely be going with the tables, then. Computers are nice, but there has to be mindfulness and overall planning. I see guys today who just rely solely on computers. Not good. Of course, many guys use more than one in the event one fails, but I still like mindfulness.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't plan any deco dives, but I do make repetitive dives.

If you do that, you will ALWAYS be deferring to the tables. Unless you are running true, square-profile dives, a DC will always give you more time because it is continually running tissue loading calculations for your depth and giving you the benefit of short times at max depth and de-sat for shallow end times. Think about like this... if your tables say you have 60 minutes at 60ft you can spend the whole dive at 60ft before coming up. If you touch 60ft for one minute you still have to end the dive at 60 minutes. When running a DC, it will run the calcs for 15 minutes at 45ft and then 2 minute descent to 60 with 1 minute at depth and then the next 40 minutes at 20ft. Tables say surface now. A computer might show you have another 45 minutes of BT. Then it calculates your offgassing during SI and does it all over again on the next dive.

that's probably an overly long way of saying that DCs will always give you more BT on multi-level dives and even more so on repetative multi levels.

You'll definitely be going with the tables, then. Computers are nice, but there has to be mindfulness and overall planning. I see guys today who just rely solely on computers. Not good. Of course, many guys use more than one in the event one fails, but I still like mindfulness.

Yes, Darren is absolutely right, although I can't imagine a die-hard table-planner blindly following a computer. You knowledge of tables will let you figure out where you should be in planning in case of a computer failure.

The one warning I will give you when computer diving. Do not "ride the curve" as they call it. That is the name for going to depth and staying until you run out of NDL, then ascending and staying until the NDL, etc., etc. Computer tissue loading calcs have gotten really good and they have a great safety record, but riding the curve is riding the edge of DCS theory and you are a lot closer to getting bent. If your computer says its time to come up from depth, you will be fine to spend time up in the 15-20 ft zone, because you will be offgassing fast tissues much faster than onloading the slow tissues (if you understand deco theory)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dive table ?
Like this ?

06_a_scuba-3.jpg

Pffft...
Make an Airstream RV out of one of these :P

1845_1.jpg

Last edited:

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
If your still using Navy Tables, consider yourself lucky you havnt been bent...Those tables were constructed using 18 year olds and getting them bent and shaving 2 minutes off their down times !! Mares makes a good puter, you should consider one that calculates 02 levels 21 thru 40% in case you wanna do Nitrox in the future...BTW we dont teach tables anymore....!!! Jason your right, its not the deeper dives it the repetitive dives that are dangerous thats where computers shine....I have a rebreather and could stay down FOREVER (well almost) in fairly shallow water, but buoyancy control is a bear in shallow water with a rebreather, but things sure are quiet !!!

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably be a broke-ass rebreather diver if I lived on the coast! Fortunately for my retirement account, I have to drive 4+ hours to get to ANY diveable waters. My drysuit, wetsuits, multitude of doubles and more regs than I can even remember right now are expensive enough.

Last edited:

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
I would probably be a broke-ass rebreather diver is I loved on the coast! Fortunately for my retirement account, I have to drive 4+ hours to get to ANY diveable waters. My drysuit, wetsuits, multitude of doubles and more regs than I can even remember right now are expensive enough.

I dont own it..!! I have use from my department and I instruct in its use....So I can use it anytime..I couldnt afford the upkeep !!!!

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good advice from all, thanks. Like I said, I never plan deco dives. It will be interesting comparing the repetitive dive table NDL's with the Mares. For starters, I will stick with the more conservative table numbers until I am comfortable with the Mares.

No thanks. I don't ever want to see the inside of one of those.

Last edited:

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode I am with you. I just sold my 1980's Dacor Pacer 900 regulator last year & have been looking at buying a new rig w/ computer. Until I retire to Belize in 9 years, I may just rent since I don't dive enough. Keep us posted on how you like it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys I wish I could "chime in" on comps... but I do not own one...
And haven't for 30 years.

I am a compressor diver of 30ish feet or less... usually -20... and mostly around -15.
I dove most of my youth without one with tanks in these depths with only in shorts... single line tank... mask and fins... and of course my Wenoka.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode I am with you. I just sold my 1980's Dacor Pacer 900 regulator last year & have been looking at buying a new rig w/ computer. Until I retire to Belize in 9 years, I may just rent since I don't dive enough. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Dacor made good stuff back then. I still carry a big old Dacor dive tool. My Poseidon regulator is over 30 years old, still works like new. I think the old gear is more reliable than the new gear, provided you maintain it properly.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my first regs was a Dacor. (no not this one in pic)

Dacor.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned how to dive on an old double hose US Divers regulator & and a horse collar BC. - Early 70's. My Father is a Master Diver.

Ditto.
My father was also a master diver... Navy Seabee...
Taught me to dive age 6 in pools...
Then his PADI buds for junior ... open.. advanced... by age 12...
where I landed my first potential recovery jobs...
Last 2 certs by 15.

And by 18 19 off tanks.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was certified in 1975 at age 14. This old Poseidon has been in the water from the Keys to Bonaire. Still going strong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread