Diving near the Atocha wreck site

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can dive on it as long as you do not have a metal detector with you, and they are not on the site working.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How close can you dive to the site with a metal detector?
There is a thread on our beach forum with the info.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting link, but I didn't see anything about the Atocha or diving near the Atocha. Did I miss something?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting link, but I didn't see anything about the Atocha or diving near the Atocha. Did I miss something?
Atocha is about 20 miles SW of Key West in about 60 feet of water, not on the Treasure Coast.

The same laws and rules applies to Atocha, you can dive it but not with any kind of metal detector and it violates Florida state law to remove anything from a wreck if someone is not part of company who owns the lease.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atocha is about 20 miles SW of Key West in about 60 feet of water, not on the Treasure Coast.

The same laws and rules applies to Atocha, you can dive it but not with any kind of metal detector and it violates Florida state law to remove anything from a wreck if someone is not part of company who owns the lease.
Thank you.

But how CLOSE can you get to the actual Atocha site without being in violation of law, i.e. 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW that link to 1715 was pretty good. I would like to come down to FL to dive offshore and detect underwater where I could.

I'm still trying to find out where I can do that.
Treasure Salvors in Key West has the lease sites, locations/ boundaries. If you try to dive these sites, guaranteed you will get busted. Spotter planes, FWC, cameras, homeowners that live on the beaches, even paid sunbathers on the beach. Fines, impoundment of detectors, vehicle and boat possible. I watched this guy working on the cameras communicating with a boat off the beach while a spotter plane flew up and down the coast. I think Treasure Salvors offers dive trips to the Atocha.
5C429F1C-F072-4C5B-8CFE-EFD689638094.jpeg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW that link to 1715 was pretty good. I would like to come down to FL to dive offshore and detect underwater where I could.

I'm still trying to find out where I can do that.
Technically you cannot metal detect in any water without a permit to do so.
Now...
Park and public beach shallow water detection is not enforced but again technically and according to Florida Law... not permitted.
Disturbing submerged land is illegal without authorized permit.
So...
If you plan on diving out to find treasure or shipwrecks...
you will be in for a rude awakening with arrest and confiscation of any found artifacts.
You can detect all you want... you just cannot dig... or remove anything older than 50 years of age.
These items are property of the State Of Florida without permitted salvage lease agreements.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you have no detector with you, it is illegal to remove anything from a shipwreck lease site without the permission of the lease holder, everything found is declared, even by lease owners.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically you cannot metal detect in any water without a permit to do so.
Now...
Park and public beach shallow water detection is not enforced but again technically and according to Florida Law... not permitted.
Disturbing submerged land is illegal without authorized permit.
So...
If you plan on diving out to find treasure or shipwrecks...
you will be in for a rude awakening with arrest and confiscation of any found artifacts.
You can detect all you want... you just cannot dig... or remove anything older than 50 years of age.
These items are property of the State Of Florida without permitted salvage lease agreements.
I guess I won't be going down to Florida.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I won't be going down to Florida.
You can detect the shoreline along the Treasure Coast between sand dunes and low water line and keep what you find. You can detect in the water that is not along the treasure leases locations and keep what you find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there are cases where you can detect in the water, but wouldn't this be a violation of taking something that is older than 50 years?
We detect in the water ever day, both sides of the state. We find gold and silver, as well as coins and relics, as long as you are not hunting in the water on the treasure lease sites no one cares.

You can hunt the treasure coast beaches, just NOT in the water, you can hunt from toe of the sand dunes to the water line and keep what you find, just NOT in the water where the treasure leases are located.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We detect in the water ever day, both sides of the state. We find gold and silver, as well as coins and relics, as long as you are not hunting in the water on the treasure lease sites no one cares.

You can hunt the treasure coast beaches, just NOT in the water, you can hunt from toe of the sand dunes to the water line and keep what you find, just NOT in the water where the treasure leases are located.
Thankyou for posting this. I think this clears up a lot of uncertainties I had.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread.....you guys are figuring it out......you can metal detect the waters that aren't leased or within 1300 feet of a historical wreck site. You cannot have a metal detector in the water in the national parks, and state parks have the ability to say yes or no to metaldetecting, and you must ask the head ranger or gate ranger.....sometimes they say yes sometimes they say no. Either way nothing over 50 years old is supposed to be taken. I just got done with the first half of a you tube detecting video.....we are 1300 feet from 2 known wrecks, and at a popular shallow water tourist drinking spot. Everybody metal detects this spot and nobody says a thing.....ever !! There are many spots like this, and big fat spanish 8 reales can also be found here. Some laws are enforced alot, and others not so much.....don't ask to many questions, and then ask a little forgiveness if confronted.....right.? It's very grey and there is alot of questions about artifacts too.....aren't coins really just money, and not artifacts per say ?? And isn't jewelry just jewelry.......im allowed to pick up new money and knew jewelry only ?? There's alot of grey area that hasn't been tested by law, and we don't push it. I'm not sure about atocha except to say rhat there really isn't any way of keeping people off of it, but if they are on site , and you even come close to where they are diving more than one chase boat will intercept you. And as for a wreck site it's widely scattered shipwreck debri field, and much of it is still missing.....so there really is no wreck site. Your not gonna get next to the wreck because it's spread over miles. Now you are also in the national marine sanctuary, and should have an exploratory permit. Any way....there's a thousand questions, and lots of answers......I have dove and sper fished all around the so called Atocha site......if you were caught with detecting gear on the bottom there im sure you would draw attention......how much trouble in a court of law you would get in is a mystery to me, but from fishing experience.......it is damn near impossible to bust someone stealing from your traps in a court of law......you have to haul your trap in with the theirs arm in the trap to win in court. People are diving and taking stuff every day down here.....the Archie's, state, and feds have made it so every tourist can walk off with whatever they find because no one checks or cares.....tourist dollars are what matters !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread