OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread.....you guys are figuring it out......you can metal detect the waters that aren't leased or within 1300 feet of a historical wreck site. You cannot have a metal detector in the water in the national parks, and state parks have the ability to say yes or no to metaldetecting, and you must ask the head ranger or gate ranger.....sometimes they say yes sometimes they say no. Either way nothing over 50 years old is supposed to be taken. I just got done with the first half of a you tube detecting video.....we are 1300 feet from 2 known wrecks, and at a popular shallow water tourist drinking spot. Everybody metal detects this spot and nobody says a thing.....ever !! There are many spots like this, and big fat spanish 8 reales can also be found here. Some laws are enforced alot, and others not so much.....don't ask to many questions, and then ask a little forgiveness if confronted.....right.? It's very grey and there is alot of questions about artifacts too.....aren't coins really just money, and not artifacts per say ?? And isn't jewelry just jewelry.......im allowed to pick up new money and knew jewelry only ?? There's alot of grey area that hasn't been tested by law, and we don't push it. I'm not sure about atocha except to say rhat there really isn't any way of keeping people off of it, but if they are on site , and you even come close to where they are diving more than one chase boat will intercept you. And as for a wreck site it's widely scattered shipwreck debri field, and much of it is still missing.....so there really is no wreck site. Your not gonna get next to the wreck because it's spread over miles. Now you are also in the national marine sanctuary, and should have an exploratory permit. Any way....there's a thousand questions, and lots of answers......I have dove and sper fished all around the so called Atocha site......if you were caught with detecting gear on the bottom there im sure you would draw attention......how much trouble in a court of law you would get in is a mystery to me, but from fishing experience.......it is damn near impossible to bust someone stealing from your traps in a court of law......you have to haul your trap in with the theirs arm in the trap to win in court. People are diving and taking stuff every day down here.....the Archie's, state, and feds have made it so every tourist can walk off with whatever they find because no one checks or cares.....tourist dollars are what matters !!
This was a very interesting read. I'd give 100 upvotes if I could.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly a rich wreck is being plundered in my back yard here in key largo.....large ballast mound, olive jars with coins attached etc.etc.etc everyone asking me about it and I know nothing or have I seen anything like that.....you would think I'd know, but I am as amazed as everyone else......I still don't believe it , but ya never know ?? I work occasionally on 1 of what I think are the only 3 active leases, here in the keys. They predate the formation of the national marine sanctuary. First one is "Atocha",second one is the "Isaac Allerton", and third one is "el Angel Bueno", and "Cocepcion"......which we are searching for. There probably are others who have exploratory permits im not aware of too. Ya never really here much , and everyone is top secret down here now......it all started here , and it all got shut down here first too......but people are working on things for sure !! The Guerrero has been found and is being worked by Corey Malcom and other Archie's also !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tough, and every boat with a diver looks like someone treasure hunting in our legal state approved lease box.....in the keys it would be impossible to try and track every diver.....its crazy down here and at least a couple hundred people a day dive down here....even more in certain times of the year.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you don't even need to metal detect along the Florida treasure coast. Most of the gold is deeper than what a detector can reach. Unless you hit the beach after a big storm dig it up and sift.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt deep sand in the keys.....what you want is a foot of sand over the existing rock bottom.....the goods are trapped in pockets in the rock that is lightly covered with sand......here in these types of conditions I can actually recover something......DUST OVER CRUST is what we call it !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thread.
How far do state waters extend and are the legal rules any different for US waters or international waters?
(I understand international waters tend to be deeeep!)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting thread.
How far do state waters extend and are the legal rules any different for US waters or international waters?
(I understand international waters tend to be deeeep!)
A good maritime attorney is how it's done.....and once your that serious, you'll need deep pockets or investors!! Your in the big leagues at that point!!

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically you cannot metal detect in any water without a permit to do so.
Now...
Park and public beach shallow water detection is not enforced but again technically and according to Florida Law... not permitted.
Disturbing submerged land is illegal without authorized permit.
So...
If you plan on diving out to find treasure or shipwrecks...
you will be in for a rude awakening with arrest and confiscation of any found artifacts.
You can detect all you want... you just cannot dig... or remove anything older than 50 years of age.
These items are property of the State Of Florida without permitted salvage lease agreements.
Gotta catch you first. Big ocean.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Treasure Salvors website it has the info if you want to dive their sites or stay aboard and search for emeralds from the dredge.
They also have the applications for divers and applications for crew members, and background check info. $500/wk 5-10 days out, up to 14 with weather. One year commitment required.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread