Do all Garrett pro pinpointers beep faster when closer?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the older black Propointer, not the new orange one. And all the black ones do beep faster as you get closer to the target. I expect the orange ones do as well but don't know for sure. Really does help you know when you're on it.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I just sent my Pro Pointer in for repairs. It was doing some really odd things-

The service department called and said the guts were corroded and it would cost more to fix it than what it was worth.

I've never gotten it wet, other than a quick rinse off. It's about 5 years old.

Don't know if I'll get another Pro Pointer or go to the Minelab Pro Find... it's a bit more expensive, but I do value the use of a good pin pointer... I'm at a state of confusion myself.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
g.i.b.
that sucks,I would have to guess salt air got at it.1st I've heard of that.Mine 4 years old and works like a charm.At least you got alot of hunting out of it.

WMCQ

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2015
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can confirm that the new orange Garrett pointer pro does beep more rapidly as you approach the target.

It is also supposedly water-proof and will even work submerged -- I have not tested this.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I am getting my Pro-Pointer this Thursday, I will let you know how it works when I get it. I think you are correct, the closer you get to an object the faster it beeps, it also vibrates.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just sent my Pro Pointer in for repairs. It was doing some really odd things-

The service department called and said the guts were corroded and it would cost more to fix it than what it was worth.

I've never gotten it wet, other than a quick rinse off. It's about 5 years old.

I wonder - has anyone else had this problem? Do you live in a high-humidity area, or near the sea? Weird.:dontknow: I wonder if a squirt or two of some spray dielectric silicone would be a good prevention measure?

FWIW, I love my Garrett PP. It never falses, and it always finds the target. I wish it were waterproof to 200ft like my Shark.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing about the black Propointer is that occasionally you will notice the sound and vibrating gets much quieter because the speaker gets packed with mud. You need to rinse it and pick the mud out periodically.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder - has anyone else had this problem? Do you live in a high-humidity area, or near the sea? Weird.:dontknow: I wonder if a squirt or two of some spray dielectric silicone would be a good prevention measure?

FWIW, I love my Garrett PP. It never falses, and it always finds the target. I wish it were waterproof to 200ft like my Shark.

I live in Florida 1/2 mile from the beach. I've always kept the battery cap on, and the gasket is good. I've never had it immersed in salt water, I've only used it in the dry sand. It gets no more moisture there than in the woods.

There has never been any water on the inside of the unit. Only humid air.

I liked it so much- I have (reads HAD) two Pro-Pointers. I kept one as a spare and as a loaner to hunting friends and my kids.

I'm not sure which way to go- maybe the Carrot, maybe Minelab...

And to the OP-

YES~ they all beep faster as they get closer.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the carrot...it is strong, sturdy, versatile.... no sweat sticking It in salt water, rinses off...and has more features than the original...go for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread