Do coin machines ever mistake dimes as pennies?

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
They do. My local machines here cost me about one or two dimes as pennies out of each $1000. I can live with it. Cost of doing business. For some reason I get a lot of dimes in my CWR of nickels here and often get dime rolls with an extra dime or two so I think I'm still ahead of the game...

Can't wait to hear your idea.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
TakeDownTick50 said:
If they do, I might have an idea.....

Edit:

My idea is to buy coin machine bags of pennies and see if their are a significant amount of dimes in there. Probably won't be worth it though.

It happens from time to time but not common enough to make it worth while I would say.

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might do a test where I put in $20 in pennies and see how much the bank credits me for. I'll repeat this with nickles and dimes. Probably not worth the time, but if a machine is extremely off..... ;D

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
This frequently happens, it all depends on the machine and how well it is maintained by the bank's staff.

For these types of business ventures it is helpful to start out with a idea of what you time is worth. I mean objectively, if you were to work overtime, an odd job, a little harder on your business, whatever. What can you make? $10/hr? $20/hr? $50/hr then see how much time it takes you to earn that money buying penny bags to look for dimes.

Now it you want to buy penny bags to look for wheats, IHs or copper that is a different story. Then the dimes are a by-product of your hobby.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I've bought plenty of cent bags. Never got more than 3 or 4 dimes. We were looking for wheats/copper/etc though.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TakeDownTick50 said:
I might do a test where I put in $20 in pennies and see how much the bank credits me for. I'll repeat this with nickles and dimes. Probably not worth the time, but if a machine is extremely off..... ;D

Don't tell me you're shaving the rims of the pennies. It's not worth it man. Better ways to make a couple extra bucks than that.

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably stick with hunting halves and dimes for silver then.

SFBayArea- I don't intend to shave the sides that would take way too long.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
TakeDownTick50 said:

Don't tell me you're shaving the rims of the pennies. It's not worth it man. Better ways to make a couple extra bucks than that.

The fact you are planning on stealing from a bank makes me sick. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for people who follow the rules. BLOCKED.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TakeDownTick50 said:

It is not worth it. It is stealing. Think about how you would feel if you got a roll of dimes with a bunch of pennies in there. I've gotten shorted on boxes of halves where someone went through them. I was pissed like no other. It's low man. Like I said, there's better ways to make a couple bucks than to do that.

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never intended to shave the sides of pennies to make then register as dimes. Perhaps I should have clarified my statement earlier. I was merely thinking about buying bags of pennies to see if any dimes accidentally fell into it due to machine error. The tests were to see if there was any machine error to begin with. If you have moral qualms about buying bags that might have more/less money than face, that is a completely other disagreement. Which would be similar to disagreeing with coin roll hunting in its entirety. Sorry for any misunderstanding which may have risen from this.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience, yes they do but unless its $1 or more, I don't mention it as they also count pennies as dimes at about the same rate so for me its a wash as I do more pennies than dimes.

From what I gathered, dimes are usually the first coin to go out of calibration on a coin machine.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I jumped the gun, But your post made it sound like you were LOOKING for a way to screw the bank. I apologize for my quick assumption.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
TakeDownTick50 said:

It is not worth it. It is stealing. Think about how you would feel if you got a roll of dimes with a bunch of pennies in there. I've gotten shorted on boxes of halves where someone went through them. I was pissed like no other. It's low man. Like I said, there's better ways to make a couple bucks than to do that.
Same old crap from the same old people. The OP never said anything about shaving cents, only you guys. Kinda makes me wonder if you have thought about it.
I know what he's talking about. One of my dumps at one time had issues with dimes being counted as cents. The trick is to buy those bags and dump them at another bank where the dimes are actually counted as dimes. Far as the stealing aspect of it, you're just evening out the misdeed originally done by the bank to the customer that didn't get credit from the wrongful count. No different than taking a coin from the reject slot.
Only deal is that there wouldn't be enough dimes on a regular basis to turn a profit. The only thing I get out of it is don't dump your dimes where they are counted as cents.
HH
enamel7

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
enamel7 said:
SFBayArea said:
TakeDownTick50 said:

Same old crap from the same old people. The OP never said anything about shaving cents, only you guys. Kinda makes me wonder if you have thought about it.
I know what he's talking about. One of my dumps at one time had issues with dimes being counted as cents. The trick is to buy those bags and dump them at another bank where the dimes are actually counted as dimes. Far as the stealing aspect of it, you're just evening out the misdeed originally done by the bank to the customer that didn't get credit from the wrongful count. No different than taking a coin from the reject slot.
Only deal is that there wouldn't be enough dimes on a regular basis to turn a profit. The only thing I get out of it is don't dump your dimes where they are counted as cents.
HH
enamel7

He could've defined what he was doing in the beginning. Seemed like he was holding back on it which leads people to be suspicious.

Enamel wasn't there some other poster here on another thread that mentioned about people being civil and it was sorely lacking here on this forum? There was nothing that I said that was uncivil. I just asked whether that was what he was thinking about since he didn't say what it was and if so, I recommend not doing it. Completely civil man. Never called anyone any names. Perhaps you're jumping the gun.

Personally, it's not something to get hyped up about on making a profit. Counting on machine error to make money. As I stated, there's better ways out there to make a couple bucks than that. I've gotten dimes in penny boxes before but not many so you can figure that it's not very profitable unless the whole machine was off like a miscalibration.

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry all is forgiven. The whole point in this thread is moot though, since the general consensus is that it isn't worth it.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
TakeDownTick50 said:
The whole point in this thread is moot though, since the general consensus is that it isn't worth it.

Isn't worth buying bags of pennies to see if there are dimes in there? Absolutely worth it, provided you normally search pennies as well. If you're buying bags of pennies just to find dimes, and recycle everything else without searching, definitely not worth it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
TakeDownTick50 said:
Don't worry all is forgiven. The whole point in this thread is moot though, since the general consensus is that it isn't worth it.

Wait a minute...I have something to add...

One of my banks recently got a new coin counter, and I was losing dimes like no tomorrow. I lost $4 worth of dimes, which were counted as pennies, in a $100 dump.

I said something to the teller, and she started laughing, which made me pretty mad, even though I didn't lash out at her.

It kept happening...and they kept blowing it off, that is, until I tried to buy the penny bags off of the machine.

When they opened the machine, and started to pull the bag, the teller immediately rescinded her offer. That penny bag must have had $50 worth of dimes, at minimum. I even scratched my head, because I thought she had pulled the dime bag off by accident.

They declared the machine "Out of Order", and told me that they couldn't sell me the bag(s) "because the machine is apparently malfunctioning, and it wouldn't be right to sell you someone else's coins". Can anyone find the logic in that? :dontknow:

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
TakeDownTick50 said:

Wait a minute...I have something to add...

One of my banks recently got a new coin counter, and I was losing dimes like no tomorrow. I lost $4 worth of dimes, which were counted as pennies, in a $100 dump.

I said something to the teller, and she started laughing, which made me pretty mad, even though I didn't lash out at her.

It kept happening...and they kept blowing it off, that is, until I tried to buy the penny bags off of the machine.

When they opened the machine, and started to pull the bag, the teller immediately rescinded her offer. That penny bag must have had $50 worth of dimes, at minimum. I even scratched my head, because I thought she had pulled the dime bag off by accident.

They declared the machine "Out of Order", and told me that they couldn't sell me the bag(s) "because the machine is apparently malfunctioning, and it wouldn't be right to sell you someone else's coins". Can anyone find the logic in that? :dontknow:

So perhaps there can be calibration errors in the machines. Next time I head to a bank I'll toss some mixed dimes and pennies in and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread