Do coin machines ever mistake dimes as pennies?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TakeDownTick50 said:
clovis97 said:
TakeDownTick50 said:
Don't worry all is forgiven. The whole point in this thread is moot though, since the general consensus is that it isn't worth it.

Wait a minute...I have something to add...

One of my banks recently got a new coin counter, and I was losing dimes like no tomorrow. I lost $4 worth of dimes, which were counted as pennies, in a $100 dump.

I said something to the teller, and she started laughing, which made me pretty mad, even though I didn't lash out at her.

It kept happening...and they kept blowing it off, that is, until I tried to buy the penny bags off of the machine.

When they opened the machine, and started to pull the bag, the teller immediately rescinded her offer. That penny bag must have had $50 worth of dimes, at minimum. I even scratched my head, because I thought she had pulled the dime bag off by accident.

They declared the machine "Out of Order", and told me that they couldn't sell me the bag(s) "because the machine is apparently malfunctioning, and it wouldn't be right to sell you someone else's coins". Can anyone find the logic in that? :dontknow:

So perhaps there can be calibration errors in the machines. Next time I head to a bank I'll toss some mixed dimes and pennies in and see what happens.

We don't have coin counter machine here so I wonder what the bank will do if you say you have $50 in dimes and the machine shorts you? Does your bank give you back the difference or are they going to say that their machine is never off? Sounds like a lot of work to bicker over a couple bucks. Guess there's pluses and minuses to having a coin counter machine at a bank. The most dimes I've ever gotten in a box of pennies is 5 from what I recall. Yeay!! I made $.50 from it. LOL You could just buy off any bag of cents from a machine and see if there's dimes there. It's as simple as that. Can't get any lower than that other than foreign 3rd world country money. LOL. You would think that if the teller was taking the bag of pennies out of the machine and noticed a bunch of dimes in it, they might not sell to you because they noticed an error.

I think I could dig up 2 quarters from a park (not that I detect much) in the amount of time I would have to drive to the bank and dump and talk with tellers to get the bag of pennies. I just wouldn't always count on the machine having an issue and you'd have to time it right when there is an issue and there has to be a lot of coinage in the bag. It happens but I can't imagine all the time. I have gotten a box of $500 dimes that was off $1.80 last week. 18 rolls were missing a dime each.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm usually shorted from $0-$4.00 per $500, dimes counted as cents.

I then take my receipt to counter.
Bring to teller's attention.
One time teller opened machine to look onto bag of cents and saw dimes.
They credit my account for the difference.

So simple, for me at least.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TakeDownTick50 said:
I might do a test where I put in $20 in pennies and see how much the bank credits me for. I'll repeat this with nickles and dimes. Probably not worth the time, but if a machine is extremely off..... ;D

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SF,
You questioned whether he was shaving pennies (which he made no inclination of) and then referred to it as stealing. Now you can try to say you meant differently what you were getting at, but the implication was made. No other way to read it. Said to a relatively new poster at that. Not very civil in my book. It is against forum policy to accuse or "suggest" that others are up to no good. You weren't the only one to do so.I'm just sayin.
HH
enamel7

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
enamel7 said:
SF,
You questioned whether he was shaving pennies (which he made no inclination of) and then referred to it as stealing. Now you can try to say you meant differently what you were getting at, but the implication was made. No other way to read it. Said to a relatively new poster at that. Not very civil in my book. It is against forum policy to accuse or "suggest" that others are up to no good. You weren't the only one to do so.I'm just sayin.
HH
enamel7

Oh God.. thought this was a dead issue. Look, I asked if that's what he was doing. Nothing wrong with asking. He said no. I just re-interated that if that's what he was thinking of or along those lines, he shouldn't be doing it if he's finding a way to short the system. Nothing offensive there since he didn't say what his plan was at that point. Nuff said.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some new information to add here (new as of this AM).

When I dump dimes, I always take them in "bins" of $75 or $100. I ask the teller to make sure they count correctly for each bin. I use my gram scale in counting mode to measure the bins out (I don't count them!). I have not had a single problem with dimes counting correctly, but I am extra careful because of the reports that I've read here.

Today dumping dimes, the machine kept stalling. The teller told me that because dimes are thin, they sometimes scoot two through at a time. That as much as anything could explain short dime counts. Sometimes you know dimes count as cents because of the final total, but that is not the only way for dimes to come up short.

That said, I buy cent bags from two different sources. I've found dimes, nickels, and even quarters in the cent bags, but not in any significant number.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SF,
HH
enamel7

Oh God.. thought this was a dead issue. Look, I asked if that's what he was doing. Nothing wrong with asking. He said no. I just re-interated that if that's what he was thinking of or along those lines, he shouldn't be doing it if he's finding a way to short the system. Nothing offensive there since he didn't say what his plan was at that point. Nuff said.
I just LOOVVVE your attitude. ::)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
enamel7 said:
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SF,
HH
enamel7

I just LOOVVVE your attitude. ::)

What attitude? Who wrote "same old crap from same old people"?

OP
OP
T

TakeDownTick50

Feb 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SF,
HH
enamel7

Perhaps y'all should stop arguing, as it doesn't quite matter at this point.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TakeDownTick50 said:
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SFBayArea said:
enamel7 said:
SF,
HH
enamel7

Perhaps y'all should stop arguing, as it doesn't quite matter at this point.

+1

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
I have some new information to add here (new as of this AM).

When I dump dimes, I always take them in "bins" of $75 or $100. I ask the teller to make sure they count correctly for each bin. I use my gram scale in counting mode to measure the bins out (I don't count them!). I have not had a single problem with dimes counting correctly, but I am extra careful because of the reports that I've read here.

Today dumping dimes, the machine kept stalling. The teller told me that because dimes are thin, they sometimes scoot two through at a time. That as much as anything could explain short dime counts. Sometimes you know dimes count as cents because of the final total, but that is not the only way for dimes to come up short.

That said, I buy cent bags from two different sources. I've found dimes, nickels, and even quarters in the cent bags, but not in any significant number.
Thanks for your post. I once found a coin counter machine in a bank. Before I dump large amount of dimes, I did a test run with $50 worth of dimes. The machine counted 495 dimes, 2 cents, and 1 reject. So where was my other two dimes? It perplexes me until now. Thanks for your information,madwest. Of course, I consider that machine not acceptable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread