Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is a lighthearted question, but it is also an important one. I find that there really is a line to consider when indulging a passion. The dark side of a deep interest in anything is that if there is not enough discipline to it, it can consume our attention in ways that take away from our life rather than enriching it.

This hobby has incredible things to offer. We also have endless ways of escaping our lives, feelings, and relationships, and metal detecting can certainly become one of them. For me, the key is not choosing detecting over time with my wife, kids, and friends in any way that really compromises things, and being diligent about setting internal limits with myself for how much time I spend thinking about it. I go out 4 hours a week, unless I have some vacation time. When I'm aware that I'm getting unbalanced (like when, instead of seeing all the beautiful forest and farmland around me, all I can think of is what is underneath all that ground) I take some time off.

I can only speak for myself, but I work actively to keep that balance with this hobby; I could so very easily become some obsessed, bearded critter lurking in the forest for that next score!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a lighthearted question, but it is also an important one. I find that there really is a line to consider when indulging a passion. The dark side of a deep interest in anything is that if there is not enough discipline to it, it can consume our attention in ways that take away from our life rather than enriching it.

This hobby has incredible things to offer. We also have endless ways of escaping our lives, feelings, and relationships, and metal detecting can certainly become one of them. For me, the key is not choosing detecting over time with my wife, kids, and friends in any way that really compromises things, and being diligent about setting internal limits with myself for how much time I spend thinking about it. I go out 4 hours a week, unless I have some vacation time. When I'm aware that I'm getting unbalanced (like when, instead of seeing all the beautiful forest and farmland around me, all I can think of is what is underneath all that ground) I take some time off.

I can only speak for myself, but I work actively to keep that balance with this hobby; I could so very easily become some obsessed, bearded critter lurking in the forest for that next score!

Is this what you learned in rehab? (Just kidding, you make a good point)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HJAHAHAHA! I've looked at that photo I don't know how many times (glanced) and NEVER noticed the fact he's carring a Lesche digger and running what looks like an ATPro. AWESOME! HAHAHAHAH!!!

Yes....that is a Lesche.... the sash was suppose to be my towel, to keep my digs clean.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a Bounty Hunter to me (WTH?). I think if I was crazy enough to get a tattoo of a metal detectorist he would have to be carrying a Tesoro Diablo or Conquistador! Lol

It is in fact a Bounty Hunter... my first machine. Fact is, my artist can draw anything....But I forbade him to sketch my canary yellow 350..... just wasn't gonna work.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey!!! These are the things I'm trying to get away from! That's why I go detecting! :laughing7: I'm joking! Your right with anything!

So, I need a job, that hires family and friends, and involves detecting! Then the whole thing would be covered!

The serious side....I understand exactly what your saying! I've had friends lose their wives and families over hobbies! Like race cars, as one example. All the time and money went into the car.

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trying to keep it at 6 hrs a max a week :)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but the good stuff might be found in the next hole or the 7nth hour.....or 8th hour...or tomorrow morning.......!:laughing7: Ok, maybe I need to reread ZK's post a little closer!

Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dont worry i do the same thing...its funny too bc i work for myself...but regardless i take a shower every week whether i need it or not....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions