Do my minelab numbers mean anything?

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I have an xterra 30 minelab and went hunting today. I sometimes wonder if my numbers mean anything that come up on the detector. I know what they are supposed to mean, but today I found alot of pennies, all new and all came in at various different numbers. I feel like the discrimination isnt all that discriminating, any one else have this issue? Ive had my machine about 2 years now and still dont have a good sense of what coins come up as what numbers. It changes everytime I go out hunting it seems like. Usually the pennies come up as 32 or 36 but today it was all over the place.

Upvote 0

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I don't use the numbers on my machine, but a number higher or lower than what the target was can mean it was in proximity to another metal object, extremely worn, or rusted to name a few. Soil conditions (Mineralization) itself can lend to targets appearing under different ID's. I think even dampness of the soil may play a part. Personally, I like the non beep sounds of the Minelab Explorers. No matter what number or cross hair position you are getting, you actually get to hear the pitch/sound that different coins make.

OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Hey thanks for your reply. So what other machines make a non beep sound? Im looking to upgrade eventually. And Im trying to get all the info that I can. Probably will stick with minelab, unless I get some other info that really cahnges my mind. Thanks

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I don't use the numbers on my machine, but a number higher or lower than what the target was can mean it was in proximity to another metal object, extremely worn, or rusted to name a few. Soil conditions (Mineralization) itself can lend to targets appearing under different ID's. I think even dampness of the soil may play a part. Personally, I like the non beep sounds of the Minelab Explorers. No matter what number or cross hair position you are getting, you actually get to hear the pitch/sound that different coins make.
I thought the Xterra 30 had different pitched sounds for different target. I have the 70 and I go by sound more than I do the numbers and I pretty much know what I have found by the pitch when a target is located. I use the number to reaffirm what it might be before I dig. I can pretty much tell when I have found a coin or coin-like target.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my EXP II i noticed that newer clad coins, especially pennies corrode easily and give eratic numbers after being in the ground only a short time. I cringe to think about what these coins will be like in 25 years for future detectorist.

Ed D.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Farmercal said:
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I thought the Xterra 30 had different pitched sounds for different target. I have the 70 and I go by sound more than I do the numbers and I pretty much know what I have found by the pitch when a target is located. I use the number to reaffirm what it might be before I dig. I can pretty much tell when I have found a coin or coin-like target.

Most of the machines I have used have the different pitched sounds for different targets, about 3 or four depending on what machine. An Explorer sounds more like musical notes...........from low to very high. And the variability of the pitch/tones is pretty high. Sounds like music sometimes.

OP
OP
Korban

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Yeah the x3o has different pitch noises but the range of numbers and sounds seems kinda limited. Im still playing around with this machine and trying stuff out. I keep playing with the sensitivity. It seems like everything beeps as a 3 or 4 of the same numbers for alot of different items in the ground.

B

BIG61AL

I have an x70 and the numbers do dance around a bit but I think it's because of corrosion of the coin, position or metal leaching into the soil directly around the target. My rule of thumb is dig every good sounding target from 10 and up. It has a knack for finding nickles which are exactly the same range of gold rings. I got it mainly to use on beaches so I can get into the wet sand and surf. Maybe this coming year I'll get a chance to do that and see how well it does.

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
I found and use this chart. I made it to a wallet size and keep it on me.

Attachments

• x-terra_target_id_information [320x200].jpg
    x-terra_target_id_information [320x200].jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 514

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread