Do the Stone Tablets lead to somewhere OTHER than the Superstition Mtns?

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE=Oroblanco;4514876]How many Spanish missions in Arizona were built of concrete?[/QUOTE]
when the foundation and part of the bldg was still there it was not concrete,besides you wouldn't know unless
you had been there and seen it.have a nice day.np:cat:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
:cat:
when the foundation and part of the bldg was still there it was not concrete,besides you wouldn't know unless
you had been there and seen it.have a nice day.np

It is not too handy for me to run up there and look, as I now live in South Dakota. But I do try to get to Arizona every year, and if things work out in future will have six or seven months at a time to spend on such things. Have some coffee amigo - we all have different ideas, just trying to understand this one whether we agree or not.

:coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
As an afterthought, IF this were a mission I wonder if it might be one of the two satellite (visita) missions that father Middendorf had built, north of Tucson? I don't know if the site of either of these short-lived missions has been positively identified today. Father Visitor Rojas mentioned the two mission (visitas) in his report but did not describe where they were located, and Nentvig makes no mention of them at all which is odd.

More coffee?

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many Spanish missions in Arizona were built of concrete?

Oro,

Only the ones used by the Church.

Concrete has been around since Roman times. I've found very old Spanish structures with a very dirt like crumbly cement and it looked like they used powers left over from some sort of milling for the mortar possibly mining. I believe there were small Mission / Hacienda's that used monies from Spanish mining conglomerates to build these structures closer to mining.
These were also centers for the slavery they imposed and probably destroyed by uprisings and attacks.

There have been these types of structures found in and around the Catalina mountains and documented I have a few of them from the Arizona State Museum I'll show.

This first one talks about earlier pit dwellings and Spanish center court type dwelling made from Rocks
and a mud mixed mortar. It's hard to read but well worth reading.
This is one of Don Pages papers.

View attachment 1158404

This next one is about the lost Mission itself and the History surrounding it.

View attachment 1158404

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Let me re-phrase that question;

How many Spanish missions were built of concrete IN ARIZONA prior to the 1823 expulsion of the Franciscans?

I know that concrete has been around since Roman times (and some evidence that it predates them too) but as far as I know, all of the missions were built of adobe, at least until 1783 when the good padres decided to build the beautiful church at San Xavier del Bac and this was stone not concrete. I know about the lime mortar, used both as a cement and a protective coating on adobe, but this is not really concrete.

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does that really look like a setting for a school built in the 1900's? longfellow school was built in clifton in 1902. i just cant believe people would buy the story that it was a school.so yeah take your road trip and post the pics.

The historian I spoke with said the schoolhouse was built for the small community that operated the pumping station on Eagle Creek that supplied water to Clifton and the mine. It burned down sometime in the 1930's I think is what he said. The "cross" in the pictures may have been set for pictures, just a couple boards nailed together and stuck in a steel pipe that runs up the back of the building.

Of course if you have other information on what the building was I'd be glad to hear it before I make any road trip.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not too handy for me to run up there and look, as I now live in South Dakota. But I do try to get to Arizona every year, and if things work out in future will have six or seven months at a time to spend on such things. Have some coffee amigo - we all have different ideas, just trying to understand this one whether we agree or not.

:coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:
maybe next time you get to az we can have some:coffee2: np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro,

Only the ones used by the Church.

Concrete has been around since Roman times. I've found very old Spanish structures with a very dirt like crumbly cement and it looked like they used powers left over from some sort of milling for the mortar possibly mining. I believe there were small Mission / Hacienda's that used monies from Spanish mining conglomerates to build these structures closer to mining.
These were also centers for the slavery they imposed and probably destroyed by uprisings and attacks.

There have been these types of structures found in and around the Catalina mountains and documented I have a few of them from the Arizona State Museum I'll show.

This first one talks about earlier pit dwellings and Spanish center court type dwelling made from Rocks
and a mud mixed mortar. It's hard to read but well worth reading.
This is one of Don Pages papers.

View attachment 1158404

This next one is about the lost Mission itself and the History surrounding it.

View attachment 1158404
ditto, have some :coffee2: np:cat:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
maybe next time you get to az we can have some:coffee2: np:cat:

We are going to try to make it to the annual rendezvous, perhaps we can meet there? You could meet some of the other guys on here (and from a couple other forums as well) at the same time. Unfortunately even if we can go, will only have a limited amount of time and that is already spoken for outside the rendezvous due to a previous commitment.

Anyone ever locate the two visitas that father Middendorf had established north of Tucson? I wonder if that oddly named "Mission valley" might not be a hint?

More coffee anyone?

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the whole series of Doc's from research into a lost mission with a mission of Mining Gold.

I've done just about as much research in the Catalina's and the Iron Door Mine as you researchers here have done with the Lost Dutchman mine and old Jacob. Notice some of the treasure sites listed in his papers around and in Tucson. I have a lot more of these Once I found these lost papers at the museum I spent about twenty bucks in dimes copying all of them this is just a few.

View attachment 1158526 View attachment 1158532 View attachment 1158527

View attachment 1158528 View attachment 1158529

View attachment 1158530 View attachment 1158531

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Here's the whole series of Doc's from research into a lost mission with a mission of Mining Gold.

I've done just about as much research in the Catalina's and the Iron Door Mine as you researchers here have done with the Lost Dutchman mine and old Jacob. Notice some of the treasure sites listed in his papers around and in Tucson. I have a lot more of these Once I found these lost papers at the museum I spent about twenty bucks in dimes copying all of them this is just a few.

View attachment 1158526 View attachment 1158532 View attachment 1158527

View attachment 1158528 View attachment 1158529

View attachment 1158530 View attachment 1158531

Interesting docs Bill thank you for sharing them!

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

I still believe that the best evidence for the existence of the LDM comes to us through the writings of Jim Bark, and by extension, Sims Ely. Everything else is just embellishments on the original story from Julia and Rhiney. The farther we get from their account, more is just added to the legend.

Take care,

Joe

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roy,

I still believe that the best evidence for the existence of the LDM comes to us through the writings of Jim Bark, and by extension, Sims Ely. Everything else is just embellishments on the original story from Julia and Rhiney. The farther we get from their account, more is just added to the legend.

Take care,

Joe

Absolutely!! No one, aside from Julia and Rhiney, were closer to Waltz.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Randy,

The man was dying. They were closer than two halves of a duck's.........Burro.

Hope all is well with you and the new bride.

Take care,

Joe

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
JMO, the Stone Maps/Peralta Stones look like they point to
the Superstition Mtns, but i must be the most dense in the
head treasure hunter, because after all these years of looking
at them, and researching info on the LDM and the Peraltas'
i just dont see a connection in the maps that say, yes these
stones are a lead to the LDM and/or the Peraltas' mines
they may be a map but what to, is the question i ask myself
the where def looks somewhere around the/or in the sups

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Absolutely!! No one, aside from Julia and Rhiney, were closer to Waltz.

julia, rhiney, bark and ely searched all their lives and didnt find jack doo-doo....i wouldnt put a bit of faith in anything any of them said

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO, the Stone Maps/Peralta Stones look like they point to
the Superstition Mtns, but i must be the most dense in the
head treasure hunter, because after all these years of looking
at them, and researching info on the LDM and the Peraltas'
i just dont see a connection in the maps that say, yes these
stones are a lead to the LDM and/or the Peraltas' mines
they may be a map but what to, is the question i ask myself
the where def looks somewhere around the/or in the sups

I believe the stone tablets map region have nothing to do with the LDM ( about 2 miles apart ) .They lead to 7 very old mines which last owners were the Peraltas and of course Apache knew/know about them . And I believe too , how lead in the heart of the Superstitions .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread