Do We Have Spanish Silver from the Beach??!!??

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All. I found this a few days ago at the seashore. At first I thought it to be a piece of junk brass because of the weight and lack of corrosion.

When I got home I carefully scraped on it a bit and uncovered the design pictured. Seeing the cross pattern I STOPPED SCRAPING!!

This piece is really weird because appears to be cut as a symmetric triangle except at the bottom where it looks broke off. It varies in thickness from about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch and it is not magnetic. The "cross" pattern is offset from the center of the piece as if it was hand-stamped and it has the look of old Spanish silver pieces that I see on the net. The back is completely covered with a tough sand accretion.

I am not a beach hunter, in fact this is my first serious beach hunt thanks to Btoots...thanks Btoots! So what do you think do we have Spanish silver and HOW DO I CLEAN THIS THING???

Thanks for the view an any info is appreciated. C9

Attachments

• 1 102415 Obv1A.jpg
    1 102415 Obv1A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
  • 2 102415 Obv2.jpg
    2 102415 Obv2.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 3 102415 Obv3.jpg
    3 102415 Obv3.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 147
  • 4 102415 Cls up.jpg
    4 102415 Cls up.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • 5 102415 Rev.jpg
    5 102415 Rev.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 280

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an answer, but it looks promising.

Best of luck

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the cross type screams mexico mint ...different mints had different cross "designs" at various times...

Upvote 0

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a spanish silver cob to me.
Heres an interesting link that will explain why its not round like a coin.
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Sp-Cobs.intro.html
Im no expert, never found one, but you may want to search the word "cob".
I would suggest a lemon juice soak or electrolysis, but I would wait for the experts on that one as well.
The crust gives it character and kind of screams shipwreck silver, but I can see why you would want to clean it up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics turned out good, we'll get the right info soon enough and get this thing cleaned, then we'll have something to smile about. I've been looking over pics for about an hour and nothing on google looks close...yet....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a spanish silver cob to me.
Heres an interesting link that will explain why its not round like a coin.
Spanish Colonial Cobs: Introduction
Im no expert, never found one, but you may want to search the word "cob".
I would suggest a lemon juice soak or electrolysis, but I would wait for the experts on that one as well.
The crust gives it character and kind of screams shipwreck silver, but I can see why you would want to clean it up.

Hello bonepicker. Thanks for the great link on silver cobs. The more I look a this thing it looks clipped and irregular in thickness as a cob should be according to your link. The weight is 25.4 grams which is bit under one ounce which is (what I think) a piece of eight should be...gotta get some more crud off it so I can see what we have.

Thanks for the reply and good luck. C9

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find, can't wait to see it again cleaned up.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... great hit.
That is a friggin killer one.
Which coast was it found ?
East west ?

Upvote 0

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Great find ! Would it be reasonable to think where there is one there would be more ?

Upvote 0

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. Can't wait to see the new pictures if you do decide to clean it up a little more.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that old silver. Looking forward to seeing the cleaned picture,

Upvote 0

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello bonepicker. Thanks for the great link on silver cobs. The more I look a this thing it looks clipped and irregular in thickness as a cob should be according to your link. The weight is 25.4 grams which is bit under one ounce which is (what I think) a piece of eight should be...gotta get some more crud off it so I can see what we have.

Thanks for the reply and good luck. C9

Thanks for responding. I forgot to mention, nice find :thumbsup:. You lucky sob.
Ive hunted the beaches in MS several times, and have never found Spanish.... Just about given up on our local beaches.
If I were you I would get back out there, especially since we just had a lot of rain and some unusual high tides.
I would like to emphasize that right now you have a possible shipwreck cob, if you remove the crust you just have a cob.
If you do decide to clean it. I recommend spending a little time reading in the cleaning and preservation section of this forum.
I also forgot to mention the foil and baking soda method, which would probably be the least harsh technique.

#2, The tin foil method, while this seems to little all by itself there is definitely something going on here. Wet the coin, and tinfoil with a solution of baking soda, and water. wrap the coin shinny side of foil toward the coil, and press tight with your fingers or place it under something, the goal is to make contact, as in electrical. Leave a couple of minutes this way 2 to 3 is enough.

Here is the link I copy/ pasted from.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/407277-salt-water-silver-coins-cleaning.html

Upvote 0

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waiting to see it cleaned :notworthy:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread