DO YOU ASK PERMISSION?

when asking for permission too hunt how many times do you get the right?

• 1 out of 10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 out of 7

• 1 out of 5

• never

• Total voters

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
ok...For me the HARDEST part is the initial contact, mine go's something like this...

Me: knock knock.. ;D

Him: Yes? ???

Me: Mr. _____, My name is _____, I'm from _____. Umm...You know those guys with metal detectors that search the beach for old coins and such? I'm one of them, kinda...I'm more interested in the history of the area, AND, I was wondering if I could have a word with you about your property? Just have a friendly chat... ;D

[BAM DONE...I'm not a bill collector or the IRS.....I'm harmless, I'm polite, right up front! He knows.]

GOOD,
Him: oh.. uh...well, [he steps out onto the porch] [I"M IN! now go for it!] ;D

BAD,
Him: aw...I'm not interested... :-\

Me: Well...I'm sorry I bothered you sir, Here's my card should you reconsider...I'd really like to sit down and talk with you sometime...[nod, smile AND LEAVE.] :'(

I go with a pencil and paper not a metal detector. This has worked for me A LOT, no double talk, sweet and to the point, remember, your not there to dig, (yet) your there to talk...more research!
Now, this is a quick something I do when I want to look around an area in general. If you have a site you REALLY want to get into, I don't recommend it...you need to try a lot harder...

neil ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

I have never gotten the chance to ask to hunt. I hunt mostly at night and believe it to be rude to wake them.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bk said:
When hunting private property I will go to the door and introduce myself and briefly explain why I am there. I will tell the property owner that I am interested in finding older coins and would be happy to showthem every thing I find. I also explain that I will not damage the lawn. Sometimes I am guilty of perhaps talking a little too much if the property owner starts asking a lot of questions, but I also want them to feel comfortable with my being there.
I have a 130 year old atlas that shows sketches of homes and farm houses. Many times these homes are still standing, but may have had some remodeling done to them. I will offer to show the property owner the sketch of how the property looked in the 1870's. Most of time the property owner didn't even know that the sketch existed, and if they are interested, I will offer to make a copy for them to keep. Often times they will invite me to come back and search again.
Once in a while they will ask if they can have one of the coins that I found or I will offer them a coin or two

You're a wise and smart cookie bk. 8)

Excellent advice.

Badger

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Badger!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread