DO YOU ASK PERMISSION?

when asking for permission too hunt how many times do you get the right?

• 1 out of 10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 out of 7

• 1 out of 5

• never

• Total voters

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I always ask for permission. First off it makes the hunt more enjoyable without having to look over your shoulder all of the time. Secondly, if too many of us get busted for not asking first they will start to make more laws against what we do. So far I've only hunted public property but have always called the cities I'm hunting in first to verify. I'm a little backward when it comes to asking a person to hunt on their private property, but I'm working my way up to that next...

Dudes

J

jr

northeast hunter said:
If you have any good ideas about how too approach someone too ask permission please let us know
I think the best way to get permission is to ask if you can practice or play rather than saying hunt it might make a difference. :) :)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When hunting private property I will go to the door and introduce myself and briefly explain why I am there. I will tell the property owner that I am interested in finding older coins and would be happy to showthem every thing I find. I also explain that I will not damage the lawn. Sometimes I am guilty of perhaps talking a little too much if the property owner starts asking a lot of questions, but I also want them to feel comfortable with my being there.
I have a 130 year old atlas that shows sketches of homes and farm houses. Many times these homes are still standing, but may have had some remodeling done to them. I will offer to show the property owner the sketch of how the property looked in the 1870's. Most of time the property owner didn't even know that the sketch existed, and if they are interested, I will offer to make a copy for them to keep. Often times they will invite me to come back and search again.
Once in a while they will ask if they can have one of the coins that I found or I will offer them a coin or two

C

Chuck/NLa

I have made my own "business" type card. On the front is the club logo, my name, address, email address and a blank space for my phone number (some folks you just don't want to have your #? :D ). On the back is the Code of Ethics. I have made the "Treat the property as if it were my own" in bold type.

I think when I approach a land owner and introduce my self and hand them my card it gives them some reassurance that I ain't some sort of "kook" and I think they get a better feeling about me when they see I am up front about them being able to contact me and know where I live.

Don't know if it really makes a difference or not, but I leave the card even if they say no. Maybe they'll reconsider and contact me with a "yes". I say I don't know if it makes a difference because I've never been turned down the few times I've had to get permission......hmmm......that might be an indication right there don't you think.

HH

B

brla

Depends of what u hunting for me i never ask permission thats for me kinda funny again depends what u hunting for asking permission and when u ask who to ask

brla

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I wish to hunt a persons 'private property'...I ALWAYS will ASK.(.Do unto others as you would have them do unto you) Out of the Eight times I have asked ..5 people have let me...I won't try to sneak around on someones land,,,,then play dumb if I get caught...You only cause hard feelings,and make the rest of us honest T.H's. look BAD.....Besides the chance of getting shot or jailed.....It's just not right!.......If it is a residence..I will go to the door (Leaving my M.D. in the car) and be honest with the owner....promising to show and even give at least half of my finds ,and ANY Jewelry I find......Most people are nice.....and deserve all your respect when you are on THIER PROPERTY !!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
on private property i wouldnt think of hunting without permission. i usually will write a letter since i am not much of a polititian!....on public property,public schools,county parks,ect i usually dont ask but i go early in the morning to avoid peoples kids . i havnt had any problems yet.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I know pro's who have hunted natl forest natl parks and state parks with out permission. Just bring a big garbage bag with you and pick up a bunch of trash. If the bust you and you have a bunch of trash they usualy just tell you to get out.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I allways ask for permission on private property. Your people skills will increase the odds.

Ericwt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask where permission is needed, and almost always get a yes.

In the 40 Years I'v Been Detecting, I remember Hearing "NO" three times.

Twice at Churches & once at an Empty House.

I may have forgot a few, at the moment so I'll say 10 times in 40 years. ?

Funny thing is, Some People seem to think hearing the word "No" will cause them to Shrivel up and Die or something.? ?I just want to say, I'm still alive? ;D
when you ask, ask with Confidence of hearing a "Yes"

jeff

P.S.

The easiest way I know, is to walk up to the owner, Care Taker , whoever..............
Smile say "HI" ,
Introduce Myself,
Explaine Myself,
Ask them IF their the One to Ask,
And then Ask.

the LAST TIME, I asked Permission was thru EMail.
I saw an 18th. Century house with a for sale sign. No one was home.
I took the name of the Real Estate Agent Down and went home.
I found her listing on my computer & EMaild her.

I explained Myself & asked If she Knew How I could Ask.
She Forwarded My EMail to the Owner.
The Owner Contacted me and said Yes, but I had to do it before
the Buyer Signed the Final Papers. (The House was already sold)

S

SASQUASH

If a cant find the person & if I think there is good Treashure to find I will go for it. I have never had a problem doing that way. ARR Treashure at all cost. SAS

T

tallpaul

best to just ask,, instead of jepordising our great hobby,, ive had alot of no's even being polite but hey keep trying you'll end up with a yes,, and eventually when good finds are made close by ,, the ones who said no,, may contact you and say ive thought about it and its now yes ,, he he go for it just allways be polite,,.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked permission from about 30 towns, counties, schools this year and all gave a yes. Tried my first request for private property (other than a relative) this week and got busted, NO!. It was from an acquaintance who I thought would surely say OK. I did not ask any questions just left after thanking them for their time . Should have though, maybe I could have learned from it and avoid another No in the future. It had me down until I tried again and got permission to hunt an area where a Parsons rectory stood 200 years ago. You win some, you loose some.

Ed Donovan

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
On another forum I posted the news that I had got permission to hunt a long-abandoned school. I ask ALMOST always. There have been one or two occasions when I just couldn't pin down the exact owner of a property. Most people seem surprised that I'm asking permission. I;ve been turned down some and I've heard yes some. If someone says no, I thank them for their time and leave. I make a note of when and where and return a month or two later. Sometimes they change their minds (sometimes they get so tired of me asking they say yes just so they won't have to see me again)
It's a necessary evil like shoes and underwear.

grizzly bare

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I always introduce myself and ask for permission. I tell them flat out i am searching for gold and buried treasure ...haha... and that always makes them laugh and i promise to split with them. I never go directly to the spot I really want to explore...because that gives them time to get bored with my search and leave me in peace....I have even planted bottle caps to dissuade them from following me...beep beep beep....dang nothing again. I keep a running journal of dates and times I have searched a property and no one seems to mind when I return. Alot of older folks will even give me clues on where to look and I have been invited inside more often than not to see their own treasures in attics and basements .
Because I am a lone woman...I have to take certain safety precautions...I act like I am talking on my cell alot and make sure the owner knows I am in contact with 'someone" with my where abouts I have even had my daughters pretend cell on occasion as my cell was dead and hers made a noise. haha...and if it doesn't seem safe or i get that bad vibe ......I leave .....Searching on private property is easier as you dint get all the little boys who like to follow you around like in parks and public lands and think its funny to throw pennies in your path....grrrr
The only time i was literally kicked off a property was when my sister and I drove up an old logging road and spotted what we thought was a deserted farm....we went to turn around and some guy came out screaming at us to get off his property. We had three little kids in the jeep and we just laughed and told him we were lost ...that cooled him down ....but found out later that this place was busted for being a "meth lab" Ouch...
Another time I was searching around an old church by a cemetery out in the boonies,just getting dusk... and had my 85 yr old granny and my 6 month old daughter with me . Granny got out of the jeep and locked the baby inside with no keys ....I had seen an old house down the road, so I walked to it to get help. Guy came out of the barn all covered in blood and I about had a heart attack....come to find out he was butchering a pig, had no phone , but came back and got my door open with a hanger.....he said i could come back and search his place....but I passed on that one ....looked like a great place tho...if anyone needs directions ....

C

Capt. Buzzkill

:-\

I thought it was, "It's easier to beg forgiveness...than ask permission."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions