Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BaconSweaterVestCracklinHatElf said:
Eric Rudolph pretty much ruined it for me. July 27, 1996 :-\

Without looking I'm guessing that was the Atlanta bombing. For some reason it's one of those things I remember where I was.... in a bar and seen in on tv. It was just before I moved back to the east on Aug. 2nd.
yup :-\ Me and another guy took a break to watch a little on the tube at work.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
The SOB almost got away with it, too.

We almost threw away the key on an innocent man (security guard Richard Jewell <sic>). >:(

B
Let me guess the investigators screwed up. :angry4:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
The SOB almost got away with it, too.

We almost threw away the key on an innocent man (security guard Richard Jewell <sic>). >:(

B
Let me guess the investigators screwed up. :angry4:

I don't remember much but I bet the FBI profilers was where the problems started.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I gotta say it.

It bugs the hell out of me how many silver and bronze LOSERS are so excited, even right after the race. Yes, it's been a long time since I was a competitor in anything that had a 1st,2nd, and 3rd, but I guarantee if I didn't win I could care less about getting a chunk of silver for second place. I honestly can not comprehend coming in 2nd place and being happy about it. Sure my father used to hit me with the car but he wanted winners. :wink:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
DigginThePast said:
Iron Patch said:
DigginThePast said:
Iron Patch said:
DigginThePast said:
"Do you care about the Winter Olympics?"

Of course, Lindsey Vonn is competing. ;D

Does she ski in the nude?

That would sure raise some interest. :thumbsup:

Sounds like the answer is no so I'll still pass. But if something changes make sure to let me know! :thumbsup:

I have my people keeping abreast of such developments. If something is revealed I'll be sure to let you know. ;D :o

Bet its a crackup to see her do the aerial flips :laughing7:

Just wait until the 30th Olympic Games. I hear it'll be the XXX Olympics. Might be held in Bangkok. :o :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
but the curling ---what about the curling event.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,I love it when their sking or snow boarding and they crash. :hello2: :laughing7:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Eric Rudolph pretty much ruined it for me. July 27, 1996 :-\

I was in Centennial Olympic Park the night the bomb went off. Even though it was a big media event, it was nothing for several hours for most of us in attendance until we realized the severity of it. It sounded like somebody set off a firecracker across the park. I never even set down my beer for at least 15 minutes.

Rudolph hid out in the forest not far from me, an area I hung out in on a regular basis. He ate out of the garbage dumpsters of a grocery store that I went to almost every weekend when I went paddling. Nobody talked about him though. A lot of people knew he was around, but he had a lot of support from his "kin". You didn't talk about Rudolph. To mention his name would get you shut down with glares and silence. It was a topic that was not appreciated by anybody. That's why it took the FBI so long to catch him.

But back on topic, yeah I like certain aspects of the winter olympics. I love the luge, bobsled, downhill skiing and snowboarding events. I couldn't care less about the rest of it unless there is a risk of serious carnage.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much like a horse race - even the third placer is in the money!

If you had a kid who came in third in a national best of the best contest, would you be ashamed of them because they came in third out of thousands of competitors (there are thousands who train, but do not even make it to the Olympics).

If it was my kid, I'd be proud of them, third or not.

I don't think they are happy they lost - they are happy that they placed. Even in school, only one person can be the valedictorian. So, being in the top 3 in your class still means something.

B

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Much like a horse race - even the third placer is in the money!

If you had a kid who came in third in a national best of the best contest, would you be ashamed of them because they came in third out of thousands of competitors (there are thousands who train, but do not even make it to the Olympics).

If it was my kid, I'd be proud of them, third or not.

I don't think they are happy they lost - they are happy that they placed. Even in school, only one person can be the valedictorian. So, being in the top 3 in your class still means something.

B

If I had a kid I would be happy if he tried his best even if he came dead last and it wouldn't matter if it was the Olympics. That is far different than what I said about being the athlete and happy to get second. Sure I would probably find a way to be content because there ain't no going back, but it certainly isn't my nature to be excited after I just lost.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dead last -- I can do that with no or real effort training at all --think of the poor smuck that gave up years of their lives ---sex ,food and fun to work like a dog only to be "last" place -- they gotta be thinking --all that time,effort and energy I spent for "last place" - ley me go hang myself --for being the worlds biggest fool , what was I thinking ? --this in sports often where the differance better best and last is a few seconds at most.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch,

I understand what you are saying - what I'm trying to get across is sportsmanship. Especially in things like the Olympics, you are not just competing for yourself, you are competing with others from your country. If someone is brought up with a family who believes in "being all you can be", then, most of the time, I would think, as long as you do your best, you can be happy, even if its not first place. Those are the best of the best out there - you cannot change the outcome after its over - the character of those athletes are reflected by the fact that they KNOW how much everyone put into that day, and understand what it means for them to win. You can be unhappy with yourself, but still be happy for someone who is, on that particular day and time, was better than you.

Several years ago, at an Olympic event - boxing I think it was, a certain country was - how should I say it - less than honorable, when they lost - they had protests and fights, etc. - and what did most people think of them - not very much.

No matter who you are, you've got to admire the person who pulled it off. Not to mention the fact that, for most of what someone calls "loser", there will be a learning experience there.

One thing is for sure - when you count up the winners of each country, at the end of the Olympics, Americans will be counting the silver and bronze medals along with those gold medals.

B

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Iron Patch,

I understand what you are saying - what I'm trying to get across is sportsmanship. Especially in things like the Olympics, you are not just competing for yourself, you are competing with others from your country. If someone is brought up with a family who believes in "being all you can be", then, most of the time, I would think, as long as you do your best, you can be happy, even if its not first place. Those are the best of the best out there - you cannot change the outcome after its over - the character of those athletes are reflected by the fact that they KNOW how much everyone put into that day, and understand what it means for them to win. You can be unhappy with yourself, but still be happy for someone who is, on that particular day and time, was better than you.

Several years ago, at an Olympic event - boxing I think it was, a certain country was - how should I say it - less than honorable, when they lost - they had protests and fights, etc. - and what did most people think of them - not very much.

No matter who you are, you've got to admire the person who pulled it off. Not to mention the fact that, for most of what someone calls "loser", there will be a learning experience there.

One thing is for sure - when you count up the winners of each country, at the end of the Olympics, Americans will be counting the silver and bronze medals along with those gold medals.

B

All that's nice and I'd definitely pat any Olympic athlete on the back for their effort, but that will not change my personal feeling between winning and losing. I think there was a bronze medal for sale at the "Pawn Stars" shop if anyone is interested. I'm not. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never Did Care about Sports

Never will.

If they would Add Billards I'd watch that.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
never Did Care about Sports

Never will.

If they would Add Billards I'd watch that.

That will be right after poker goes in.

But I do love 9 ball, only wish I would have kept playing.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
What seems to be missing here is the dedication and hard work that it takes to even make an Olympic team. My first wife was a hight school and collegiate champion swimmer in free style and butterfly. She had shoulders that scared me. She made the Olympic team for the US in swimming in 1980, but the US ended up boycotting the Olympics that year so her dreams were shattered. She trained and struggled and fought for the next 8 years, bound and determined to get back on the team. She was hampered by injuries in '84, but still made the team as an alternate, but never got to compete. She missed making the team by .02 seconds during the final trials for the '88 team. By that point she was older than any of her competitors and knew it was time to hang up her goggles. The point is she busted her butt for the entire ten years we were together training for a dream. Winning a gold medal would have been great. Just making it to the venue would have been an accomplishment that would have boosted her for the rest of her life, win or lose.

There are no losers in the Olympics. You have work hard to even be there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread