Do you consider yourself a Treasure Hunter or and Archaeologist???

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm consider myself a treasure hunter. because i don't mark every signal then go back later and carefully take way long to excavate it.:laughing7:

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both. Although I don't really expect to find a pot of gold, the old horseshoes, buckles, and other antique things that I dig up are my treasures. I love finding old items especially if they belonged to my long past family members. I recently found an old sad iron that would have belonged to my grandmother or great grandmother and it meant more to me than a gold coin would have because I know they never had a gold coin to misplace.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neither, I am just your regular ole run of the mill coin shooter.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a coin shooter - not "treasure" per se.

I consider myself an amateur archeologist and if I found what appeared to be an unknown historically significant structure I would let the "real" ones know. I wouldn't start pulling down stones or disturbing the site.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both. Have a degree in history and worked on a second degree in Anthropology/Sociology with and emphasis in Archaeology. Mostly just coin shoot now.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arkieologist? yep that's me...:blackbeard:

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm not much of a relic hunter, and like old coins and rings, I'll say treasure hunter. I have found a few cool relics in my quest for old coins though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter of Course ! :coffee2:

I Don't molest Dead Bodies !

I Don't Expect to get Paid to Hire Volunteers to Dig with Brushes for Free For Me.
just so I can Steal the artifacts later & Take credit for writing a Paper
No one wants to read.

I Don't Believe I own everything Under the Ground !

I Don't Believe Everything under the Ground Belongs to Everyone,
So it must stay there out of sight & Rot Away.

I Don't get Jealous When I hear someone Detected in My County.

treasurechest.png
I detect & Research (Treasure Hunt) for Fun & Hopefully Profit one Day.:treasurechest:

But I Don't expect The Government To Pay me to go out & Do it.

It's not a job.... it's an Adventure ! :coffee2:

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Is that like a self-proclaimed lunch box hero ? TP

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Elementary School show and tell type thread adds up to what? TP

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha, it depends on your working definitions of each word. To a credentialed archaeologist , an MD'r (or "treasure hunter") is akin to a wife-beater or child molester. I've actually bumped into the type of archaeologist who ..... OUT THE STARTING GATE consider md'ing to be intrinsically inherently evil, unless conducted with archaeological rigor.

So if we use THEIR definition, then no, I'm not an archie. I get a beep, I dig it up, I look at it and say "cool". If it's a gold coin, I show it off to my buddies and we all muse about the value. And exchange high-5's . Period. No 30 pages of documentation. No 3 days to dig it up, blah blah.

And actually, if it comes to "preserving history", the private sector has just-as-much to thank, than the archie sector. Most of our resource reference works & books were written by the private digger sector. Eg.: Bottles, buttons, coins, etc.... were mostly all written and studied by (gasp) private sector diggers. And a bunch of stuff in museums was donated by (gasp) private sector diggers.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a forgiving treasure hunter. When they say hey why are you digging holes in my yard.. get off my land. I always say sorry and leave.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a degree in archaeology. I don’t practice, I like where I live too much and nobody needs an archaeologist around here so I do construction... anyway, I understand the information lost by just diving into a site and the Benefit of a careful excavation, but when I’m on my own, on my land, I don’t get too caught up in all that I just go to town. It makes the archaeologist in me cringe but my curiosity overrides my “training”. If I was paid to do it I’d be more professional

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Definitely a treasure hunter. I find lots of treasure. All kinds of treasure. When I bring it home my wife often says, "Are you going to keep all that crap?"

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I consider myself as one who loves our American History, and a Relic Hunter-Collector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread