Do you consider yourself a Treasure Hunter or and Archaeologist???

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure Hunter of Course ! :coffee2:

I Don't molest Dead Bodies !

I Don't Expect to get Paid to Hire Volunteers to Dig with Brushes for Free For Me.
just so I can Steal the artifacts later & Take credit for writing a Paper
No one wants to read.

I Don't Believe I own everything Under the Ground !

I Don't Believe Everything under the Ground Belongs to Everyone,
So it must stay there out of sight & Rot Away.

I Don't get Jealous When I hear someone Detected in My County.

treasurechest.png
I detect & Research (Treasure Hunt) for Fun & Hopefully Profit one Day.:treasurechest:

But I Don't expect The Government To Pay me to go out & Do it.

It's not a job.... it's an Adventure ! :coffee2:
Well said.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't consider myself anything!

I just like to get out for the adventure and sometimes delightful finds. I put on no "Airs", and there are none deserved.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archaeologists have degrees in the field of archaeology. I can't call myself a doctor just because I purchase a first aid kit.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a treasure hunter with a healthy respect for what Archeologists do. I don't think our worlds overlap too much as I've never found an item that is of historical significance. As much as we may disagree with their disdain for what we do imagine a treasure hunter excavating a Mayan city, or an archeologist chasing the legend and actually finding the Whydah and opening a museum? Neither has happened. Yes treasure hunters have damaged archeological sites and yes archeologists have stolen finds, but each group has also contributed greatly to what we know of history. I would venture to say that archeologists have probably made greater contributions to history than treasure hunters but that may be another thread and another time. I think for the most part what we do is harmless and a great way to embrace and interact with history.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i may add to xcopperstax, archaeologists can’t be everywhere, while information may be lost by treasure hunting methods at least things are being found and shared with the world that otherwise may have been lost.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Treasure Hunter. Jeff of pa stated it well and really can't add to it!:icon_thumright:

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm mostly just a coinshooter but I'll take a gold ring or silver ring if I find it. I would like to do some relic hunting especially Civil war or Revolutionary war relics. I love studying history and I like old stuff. (antiques) For now I am mostly a coinshooter though.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personaly, i belive the metal detectorist, treasure hunter and archaeologist are three entirely different type of breeds. I do not consider myselfe any of abowe. I am a finder. A finder!

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more of a history buff, enjoy the time just researching and learning about history.
The detecting just adds to it and finding things is just an added bonus.

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As a response to your question of are you up archaeologist or treasure hunter that is probably one of the dumbest questions I ever heard about 80% of us do the right thing probably more than 80% but we do the right thing .The answer !,,,,have a good day to duh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither...

I am the "specialty tool" able to be hired by either one.

As long as its legal, serious, organized and will pay for efforts and time regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither...

I am the "specialty tool" able to be hired by either one.

As long as its legal, serious, organized and will pay for efforts and time regardless of the outcome.

Great answer!!!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a coin shooter - not "treasure" per se.

I consider myself an amateur archeologist and if I found what appeared to be an unknown historically significant structure I would let the "real" ones know. I wouldn't start pulling down stones or disturbing the site.

I consider myself a hobbyists, coin shooter, relic hunter. But I also agree with Charlie P. if I uncover something significant I would let the real ones know. Experts finding and documenting stuff "in situ" can reveal more historical information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread