Do you ever dump at retail stores?

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
I have done $20 for gas.. Also went to garage sales and paid in halves :laughing7: They were actually grateful because they did not have to go get more quarters.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished going through a $200 bag of nickels. (Got a 1936-P Buffalo, a war nickel and some other keepers, but no 2009's)

I have the retail stores I frequent know me as "The Rolling Bank."
I'm able to pass off my searched, rolled coins to the managers of these stores and when they are sated, I carry the rest to my "dump bank." I always try to let them know what I'm searching next so that I get an idea of who needs what. The last $1000 bag of quarters was snapped up quickly...
I might get $20 in gas and use rolled coins, too, just to drop a couple of rolls here or there.

Nowadays, money is money in the retail setting; more people are counting their change, rolling it up and spending it, so, I guess we are "blending in."

Keep at it and find that good one! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a favor to some local bank nice tellers -- I once took $147 worth of ikes off their hands -- I looked for silvers , no luck -- but since me and the wife had to go "food shopping" for the week -- we went to a store a bit outside of the normal area (to make sure the ikes stayed "gone")-- I "dumped" the ikes on em --bye bye clad ikes .

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ive probably dumped up to $50 in clad halves on a retail store, but i always do the usual $5-$10 on a regular basis ;
keep it up and hh!

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I spend halfs every where i go.I have one pizza store that thinks there silver and takes 100 a week. I try to tell him there not, but he gives me free lunch and says i dont no what iam talking about.Overall most stores and people love to get them.The only time i ever had a problem was from a young casher who said she only deals with real money not foreign.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The most I ever dumped on a retail/cash transaction was $1800. Paid for some items that I won at auction. Best part is that they were coins so no sales tax, and the auction house was out of district.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Yes, I only do .50's and buy all my diesel with them. Also will use them for lunch meals out. :thumbsup:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll oftentimes put 5 rolls into my tank. Paid for a pizza once, tip as well.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Bon Bon

Nov 26, 2006
texas
I pay with halves all the time. I think the best thing is they think the halves are rare and it gets them out of circulation !!!!!!!!!!! ;D

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I spend them all the time where I live, sometimes spending 30 or 40 dollars worth at a time. I now know that the self check out stands at Lowe's takes 50 cent coins and $2.00 bills. Just bought a $60.00 tool and they got halves and 2 buck bills and no complaints. I spend at the barber shop, car wash, grocery store, and pool supply store often.

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pay for stuff I buy on Craigslist with rolls of halves. A few months back I bought a dining set for $120 and gave the lady rolls of halves. I told her I hit traffic and did not have time to stop at an ATM. She counted them and asked me if they were still legal to use, and whether the bank would accept them as a deposit. I told her that they were still available at most banks and they are still circulated.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I have one store I buy gas on occasion that I use halfs. I have been told, they all go into a large water jug at home. Man I sure would like to go through that some day, no telling what all has been saved over the years.
Halfs are always good tips for the waitress and buying lunch. Never really have any problem getting rid of the few I get to do with limited funds. I really like paying bills with halfs. :tongue3: :laughing7:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
This is great way to dump small amounts of halves. I do it all the time.; up to ~ $20 at a clip. With the perception they are rare/valuable, because they are hardly seen, merchants will hoard them; and they'll never see the light of day again.

Its a win/win. 8)

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for all of the replies. I am new to CRH, and am still learning the ropes.

I've easily dumped about $100 worth of halves by spending them at retail. People seem to LOVE to get JFK's.

The downside is that they often comment "I see you are down to spending your collection" and "you must have been saving these for a loooooong time since you have so many."

These are the same reactions that I get when I spend $2 bills, which I also get from my bank. They keep them on hand.

So, in our society, you must be poor or broke if you are spending uncommon currencies, LOL.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
We just had lunch at Wendy's, and dumped $10 worth of halves on them.

Girl #1: "Oh. More silver dollars? How many of those do you have?", said with the tone of "you are an idiot".

Manager: "So, you are the person that is spending all those silver dollars. Where are you getting them? Those are hard to count."

I wouldn't rate the manager of this Wendy's as the sharpest tack in town.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
clovis97 said:
We just had lunch at Wendy's, and dumped $10 worth of halves on them.

Girl #1: "Oh. More silver dollars? How many of those do you have?", said with the tone of "you are an idiot".

Manager: "So, you are the person that is spending all those silver dollars. Where are you getting them? Those are hard to count."

I wouldn't rate the manager of this Wendy's as the sharpest tack in town.

Yeah, let this guy keep them and out of circulation. I always like people like that.

Try paying in pennies. I go into Costco with $15.00 in pennies in a box. They're actually cool with it. They say they need pennies all the time. They were rolled in clear plastic.

I remember I gave $40 in halves at an IKEA store. They were mad because the cashier had to count it all and it held up the line. Some old guy behind me asked why I have so much. I just said I have my reasons for getting them. "There's a method to the madness." He still didn't understand. Of course, I'm not going to tell him.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
thurmownator said:
With the perception they are rare/valuable, because they are hardly seen, merchants will hoard them; and they'll never see the light of day again.

Its a win/win. 8)

Ain't that the truth?

I dumped another $10 worth of halves at the gas station today. The cashier was eager to get them, and then told me "Yeah, I got a big jug I put these in. I've been saving them for years."

The funniest thing was how giddy she was to get them, and how she just kept talking...without ever telling me "these are really valuable." It was like the old game show "$100,000 Pyramid", where the contestant can't say certain words. Her word must have been 'valuable'. LOL.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I spend them whenever and for how much my purchase is. I've paid for nearly everything in halves, from books at Barnes and Noble, to sodas at McDonalds, to tips at restaurants. Its really funny how many young cashiers will think they are quarters or dollars despite the coin clearly saying half dollar on it. Even funnier is their confused looks as they mumble to their coworkers where to put them in the register.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions