Do you guys think e-bay artifacts will destroy collections?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: Do you all think that Ebay and similar places that sell artifacts will destroy legitimate collections? I was buying some parts for my 4 -wheeler and could not help but look and see what was being sold. I saw one guy selling Paleo style artifacts and they looked perfect. At the end of the listing the seller said they had no idea where it came from or if it was Paleo. People were bidding like crazy on these items. As a hunter in a decent area I know how rare it is to find a Clovis, Beaver Lake or Cumberland. Go to E-Bay and there are many. One guy said great patina and it was a Hornstone Beaver Lake or something and I did not see patina.
So if these points are being added to ones collection to round it out so to speak and one day the collection gets sold the first thing a buyer does is look for suspect pieces and it can ruin the whole collection if not documented as a bought item with a pedigree. I cannot imagine having a collection of Paleo and not knowing who found it, when and the county at least.
I will try to find the links and let you all see what you think and opinions on this subject are welcome. If you see a link of to good to be true post it up for debate.
I have bought off e-bay artifacts and there is nothing wrong with it I just keep them separate and marked as an e-bay find.
TnMtns.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little different but kind of the same idea.........Coins. Ebay loaded the market with bad coins and holders that look like they were "graded". Every collection had to be looked at as individual pieces. I'm sure their are other examples of these same types of things happening....:dontknow: Silver and Gold was another one.

I don't know much about artifacts, I just look and save them as I find them which hasn't been many. Hopefully, I'll get out and learn more in the near future. is there a Grading type service or authentication service like there is for other collectibles? If not then I would see that as something that may happen in the future.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My thought is yes, been hearing alot of bad stuff about ebay artifacts, fake COA just for starters .been hearing this from artifact forums. seems theirs one guy thats certifying anything.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little different but kind of the same idea.........Coins. Ebay loaded the market with bad coins and holders that look like they were "graded". Every collection had to be looked at as individual pieces. I'm sure their are other examples of these same types of things happening....:dontknow: Silver and Gold was another one.

I don't know much about artifacts, I just look and save them as I find them which hasn't been many. Hopefully, I'll get out and learn more in the near future. is there a Grading type service or authentication service like there is for other collectibles? If not then I would see that as something that may happen in the future.

Yes it seems many people will do COA's uv lights and spectrographs and you have a COA. I am looking at a 5' clovis with a beautiful bulls eye right in the center. It has bid up to $300.00 it has a COA. Might be real but that bulls eye is the eye catcher... on that Clovis.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not bad mouthing flint nappers in any way, and there are some extremely good ones out there , just the other day i seen a warning over a point that was bought for big money im talking in the thousands. turned out it was fake with a COA, after lawyers and such, he got his money back, but the warning says the same point is back on the market. so please be aware.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad mouthing flint nappers in any way, and there are some extremely good ones out there , just the other day i seen a warning over a point that was bought for big money im talking in the thousands. turned out it was fake with a COA, after lawyers and such, he got his money back, but the warning says the same point is back on the market. so please be aware.
No we have great flint knappers here on this forum. They are ethical and the first to warn people. I admire the skill greatly. MonsterRack knapped me a beautiful Copena to skin a deer with.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'd say yes, they can, BUT they can also put some fine additions in them as well.

Ya Gotta know what you are buying, your seller, and their return policy.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It hasn't sold yet, that is an asking price.

Judging from the high amount of positive feedback and 100% of them positive, not to mention a fair return policy, I'd trust the seller myself.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy stuff on Ebay I don't need, and in 18 years have only been ripped twice, which isn't too bad. The one was an oh who cares situation, and the other was a legitimate antique with "added" features. I finally parted with it, at a loss. Oh well. And the new owner loves it, and I made full disclosure to the "added" features when I sold it.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Theres a ( Native American Indian Artifact Stone ax Tomahawk ) on right now a 20 dollar bid has been posted ( its a dang rock ) the seller has a 100% whatever they call it. i just cant figure it out.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen that guy at a lot of shows and I would buy from him before a lot of people. His reputation is most likely the reason the piece brought good money.

Peach state archeological society had their show in Dalton .Ga. today. Bet he was there. I forgot about it. Their rules state no reproductions or you will be denied entry. I think most shows are that way. He has a lot of items on e-bay he has sold 1490 artifacts.
I just wondered at the Paleo pedigree attached to it. His items do look like south Georgia material.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a ( Native American Indian Artifact Stone ax Tomahawk ) on right now a 20 dollar bid has been posted ( its a dang rock ) the seller has a 100% whatever they call it. i just cant figure it out.

You can post the link as long as it is not your listing, :laughing7:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont know how to post links, you guys need to go look at that tomahawk. you can type in what i got in parentheses and scroll down the page. im still learning computers:BangHead:

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now how in the world would you ever know that was Paleo when they made stuff like that up until contact. Unifaced does not mean Paleo or any expendable tool unless found in context.
Nice $135.00 worked rock
Stunning G10 4 1/4" Paleo KNIFE Deep South Arrowhead ~58~ | eBay
I always wonder about the word "authentic" ...authentic what? Authentic reproduction, authentic rock, authentic flea market find...I guess I'm just very skeptical about buying artifacts.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wonder about the word "authentic" ...authentic what? Authentic reproduction, authentic rock, authentic flea market find...I guess I'm just very skeptical about buying artifacts.

Good point! "Authentic" needs some clarification... I have made a couple of points myself, just for fun to see if I could. They were made from authentic obsidian flakes I've found. I could list them as Authentic Obsidian Arrowheads. Tricky, but technically correct and ethically WRONG.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I have bought off e-bay artifacts and there is nothing wrong with it I just keep them separate and marked as an e-bay find.
TnMtns."

That's probably the best way to keep your collection clean. All of your personal finds separate from the "purchased" artifacts. Also, just because something is papered, doesn't mean it is authentic. That just about includes ALL authenticators....

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread