Do you have a price point for signiture confirmation.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only do it when it requires you to at $250 and up.i have not had a claim turned down so I just insure everything $100 and up.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
It depends on the buyer's feedback, how much I have in the item, and what the item sold for.

Anything that I sell for $100+ gets a serious consideration for sig confirmation, anything over $200 is a definite.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only do it when it requires you to at $250 and up.i have not had a claim turned down so I just insure everything $100 and up.
Do you use Ship cover insurance? I know that USPS automatically insures anything up to $100 if sent priority, that's the only time I use USPS insurance. Luckily I have never had to file a claim. I've heard horror stories about them. I did have to file a claim with Ship cover once. They paid up in less than a week. It was a $300 item. I recommend them versus USPS insurance.

Ebay states that in order to cover yourself with seller protection any item over $250 combined with shipping needs to have sig.con.. That's the only time I use it too.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
I have only used signature confirmation when I had to, per eBay rules. But, if I had hesitation, I would certainly add it. I have used both USPS and Shipcovers insurance and had a claim with each. The Shipcovers is so much easier and quicker! Neither one covers the shipping though. You would certainly think at least USPS would cover that part!

I think that USPS Priority mail covers $50 automatically and UPS $100. I do not know anything about UPS, since I have yet to ship with them (although this vintage British racing bike I picked up at a garage sale will be shipped through them). I heard that they are pretty hard core about how it is packed. Others may be able to address that more fully if the thread goes that way.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah use the ship cover insurance. For anything over hundred dollars or if I sell something for somebody else that I don't want to pay for put of pocket if there is a problem. I just sent two lamps and one broken ship cover insurance refunded $278 in 3 days. I don't put much thought into the insurance. Wrap up the item and wish it luck! And insure it if I do want to refund outta pocket. To be honest though this year I've have had one item lost in the mail. And it was a $10 item.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Ditto the above advice. I have only used sig confirmation a few times. Other than really high dollar items, the only other time I have used it were one or two situations where I was not entirely comfortable with the buyer and wanted to be sure he couldn't come back at me with bogus claims.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know anything about UPS, since I have yet to ship with them ......will be shipped through them). I heard that they are pretty hard core about how it is packed. Others may be able to address that more fully if the thread goes that way.

I once had a 40-50lb box of broken cell phones shipping to my recycler in FL. He pays for shipping and sends me labels. He only uses Fed-X so I took it to my closest fed-x dropoff. This "lady" (and I use the term lightly) picked it up and shook it. She said it rattles and they can't accept it. I told her it was already broken cellphones and it didn't matter. she didn't buy that and she called my buyer and he paid her extra to open it up and stuff it.

ever since then I just bring the boxes to the back of the building where I work and the 5PM fed-x truck takes them. never a complaint.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Do you use Ship cover insurance? I know that USPS automatically insures anything up to $100 if sent priority, that's the only time I use USPS insurance. Luckily I have never had to file a claim. I've heard horror stories about them. I did have to file a claim with Ship cover once. They paid up in less than a week. It was a $300 item. I recommend them versus USPS insurance.

Ebay states that in order to cover yourself with seller protection any item over $250 combined with shipping needs to have sig.con.. That's the only time I use it too.
I used ship cover for the first time today. Ebay now faults insurance to Ship Cover instead of USPS. I'm sure they get a cut. I thought I was buying insurance from the USPS. I need to read fine print. Here's some things I've learned since: BEWARE New ShipCover Insurance DOES NOT COVER WHAT... - The eBay Community

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One good thing though is that unlike the post office we have to wait forever to get a file claimed and get your money back the ship cover insurance refund you almost instantly within days. Normally with no questions asked. Something is broken just hit the insurance claim and then covered it I've not have them not cover one yet. Even if USPS covers it up $100 I'll still get the regular insurance through eBay because I don't have to mess around with getting my money back if there's a problem. I don't remember what it said the FinePrint was I didn't read what you put on there because I'm sitting in traffic light. But they've insured everything I've had to use a claim for.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you read this:

eBay - PARCEL INSURANCE TERMS OF COVERAGE

Coins and bullion are not covered.
Other items not covered are loose diamonds or stones, stocks, bonds, currency, deeds, evidences of debt,
travelers checks, money orders, gift certificates, calling cards, lottery tickets, admission tickets, or
any other negotiable documents. Plasma televisions or monitors.

Here is a link to the actual policy- http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/shipping/shipcover/eBayMasterPolicy-Specimen.pdf

I read that same ebay thread link posted by jnkhntr well over a year ago.

Someone should also mention that USPS insurance has a much much better chance of getting a claim denied, besides the weeks or even months on end you will be waiting to have your claim processed.

Uhhh, okay I guess I just did mention it didn't I? :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread