Steampunk lamp listing, critique it please

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I have listed on ebay a steampunk sculpture/lamp that I made a month or two ago. I've finally gotten around to crating it up so that I can enter the dimensions into the shipping calculator and get it listed. I am out of my comfort zone with this item, but it has potential to bring good money and I want to maximize my listing. If anyone has any experienced critique about this, I'd be grateful to hear it. Thanks!
Steampunk Lamp Industrial Age Art Deco Sculpture Machine Age Table Light | eBay

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. What is the item sitting on the table next to it? Does that come with it?
2. Describe the piece better. It isnt clear what the reverse is made of or even looks like.
3. You need to take pics in better lighting, as it is dark and details are very hard to see. Show how the switches work.
4. All of your listings could stand to have better pictures. You need to find a decent location to take your pics with a good background and ample lighting.

Overall, not a bad listing. With some tweaks, it could sell. Your asking price does seem a bit high but when it comes to stuff like this, you never know - it isnt out of the question.
"This original creation is signed and numbered 0001 by myself, the artist, underneath". Take out the word "myself". It sounds awkward and no offense but unless you are a known artist, no one is going to care that you created the piece. If you leave the artist as a mystery, it creates more "romance" to the piece by de-personalizing it.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerseyben has made some very good constructive suggestions. I would add make an offer. It might give you an idea what those interested in it feel it's worth. Then you could adjust your starting bid if it is two high or accept a fair offer.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I agree with jerseyben especially #3. Nothing wrong with a little mood lighting in a couple pics but the majority need to be well lit from several angles so prospective purchasers can clearly see all the details.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else. It is very hard to see the detail with the darkness of the pictures. You know the detail and you probably don't notice but the rest of us can't see the detail of your work. It looks very neat and interesting but I would honestly not buy it unless I could see it better. Take your pictures to show detail like the buyer was holding it in their hands.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks,

The object next to it, I assume you mean the small black item? That's an antique ammeter there for decoration and to stage the picture. It doesn't go with it, nor do the radio, books, or door knobs. I took more pics of the back and other parts, but there are only 12 pics allowed. The entire piece is metal, including the back. I did mention that it's all metal, but maybe I should say more?

I do agree that the pics are dark, but although it may have been a mistake, that was by design. I took pictures with varying degrees of lighting and these gave it the look I was going for. I wanted the amber warmth and glow that represented the era and environment that this piece represented. I may have to bring in some bright lights to take some more pics, but the ones where I used the flash don't look good. Many of my other auctions do have poor lighting, especially the belts, but lighting isn't important on those. I do plan to remedy that so I can get better pictures without using the flash, which washes out the pics too badly. I need a way to post more than 12 pics. I do have pics of how the switches work and some other close-up shots of details, but there just isn't room for all of them.

I removed the word "myself" from the listing, you are correct about how that sounds. I am not a known artist except in my area. I have work in museums and all over the world, but it doesn't have my name on it. I did the work for another artist who has a studio here and I worked for him.

The starting price is on the low side in my opinion and according to my research, but then again, it's only worth what someone will pay. I've seen lesser ones sell for more.

On my way now to go through my pics again and look for ones which show detail better. Hard to show everything with just a dozen pics, so I'll look into using a different method of listing to add more pics. Thanks again.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hardly wait for 0002 - Nice !

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Lol, thanks!

I figured out how to add pics into the description using HTML. Revising now with what pictures I have that are fit to use. I really need to work on my photography. Sometimes I hit a home run and other times it's just mud. The shutter stays open longer in darker pictures, so the slightest movement blurs the picture. I guess I need a tripod and some better lighting. I'll use what pics I can for now and if it doesn't sell like that, I'll unpack the thing and redo pics.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The listing is edited now with some more pics. You have to scroll down past the description to see them.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dude,

That lamp is totally awesome. It is stunningly beautiful, and looks like it should be the centerpiece on a movie set.

A good listing IMO.

Some ideas:

1. I agree, the mood lighting looks great, but it is confusing and dark.
2. I like "this handcrafted artisan work features all solid metal construction and melds perfect balance of copper, brass, steel and iron into a stunning and unique centerpiece that won't go unnoticed in any room".
3. "this piece features three lamps, and all fixtures are wired separately so each lamp..."
4. I like the word 'adjustable' more than 'manipulate'.
5. "I've been working/training as an artist for ________ years, (have worked with _____) and have spent months creating and building this lamp. Because it is my first signed and numbered Steampunk piece offered to the public for sale, I hate to see it go..."
6. I am currently accepting both large and small Steampunk art and design commissions through the Spring of 2014. Serious inquiries only, please.

Again, these are just some ideas...

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Clovis, thank you! Both for the compliments and ideas. I have shamelessly used some of them :D. The commissions idea is great, but I just don't have time to do that sort of thing unless it pays really good. For me to even rate spending time making another lamp, this one will have to sell for close to what I have the starting bid at. I have probably 20 hours in this one and at that, I am only making what my regular job pays if it sells for start bid. I am hoping it sells for more than opening bid, and if so, I can go ahead and do some more! Not that I won't do more anyway, but I will have to do it in my rare spare time.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Clovis, thank you! Both for the compliments and ideas. I have shamelessly used some of them :D. The commissions idea is great, but I just don't have time to do that sort of thing unless it pays really good. For me to even rate spending time making another lamp, this one will have to sell for close to what I have the starting bid at. I have probably 20 hours in this one and at that, I am only making what my regular job pays if it sells for start bid. I am hoping it sells for more than opening bid, and if so, I can go ahead and do some more! Not that I won't do more anyway, but I will have to do it in my rare spare time.

Put it up there anyway. You are not going to really get any commissions, I wouldn't think, but it will make you sound more like a full time artist.

Change it to read "fall of 2014". That'll make it sound like you are busy with other artwork until then.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Are you still accepting tweaks to the ad?

I think it should read "This lamp is an original creation, and is both hand signed and numbered as the artist's first (Steampunk) piece. This one-of-a-kind fixture features three lamps, all individually wired, so each lamp can be lit individually, or all on as one..."

"The electrical wiring is fully secure within the lamp, and the body of this artwork is safely grounded."

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks. My listing is looking much better now. Now I'm just waiting for the little numbers to light up green. I hope. Funny how I had to mull over whether I wanted to sell it or not (I like it a lot), but now that the listing is up, I'm eager to see it sold.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you list with turbo-lister? Or just list on Ebay? I list using auctiva and can put on bunches of pictures, plus easily insert pictures in the description.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I just list with ebay now. We used to use auction splash, the auctiva, but since ebay made listing easier with more pics, we just use ebays listing process. I now have 29 pictures in the auction with the help of photobucket.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks much better. Now that I see the additional photos, it actually made me want the lamp! It really is a beautiful piece of art.

You might want to consider getting professional photographs taken for a listing of this caliber.

Good pics are what sell items like this.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
I saw the original post had no returns. Why not put a 14 day return on it, with the added condition that it must be returned in condition sold, buyer pays return shipping. It sounds like you have plenty of pictures showing how it was sold. Insurance would cover any damage and, let's say the lamp would not turn on - eBay would protect the buyer regardless. The return guarantee would give the buyer a little more assurance that you are standing by the sale. Least in my opinion.

But that lamp ... I have a light goth and steampunk appreciation of such creations within myself. That is beautiful! Good luck with it, and I am envious of your talent.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the lamp! What a fantastic piece of work!

I edited your description (see revised description below). Use or ignore any or all of it as you see fit.

This lamp rules the room. This handcrafted artisan work features all solid metal construction and melds perfect balance of copper, brass, steel and iron into a stunning and unique centerpiece that will be the highlight of any room. The industrial steampunk/art deco combination creates a unique feel. The classic flag marquee style body combined with clockwork gears and steam works piping hints at the heyday of the industrial age. With the pressure gauge resembling a monacle or pocket watch, the sculpture nearly becomes a living being but with a slightly sinister twist.

The piece features 3 lamps, each wired individually so they can be turned on and off separately or lit all at once. The 2 large lights are on flexible arms and can be manipulated to point the light in any direction you wish. The center light is controlled by the chain attached to the pressure gauge. The electrical is secure within the sculpture body and is safely grounded. The base is 10 inches across. The sculpture from the bottom to the top of the copper "whistle" is about 34 inches. The whistle is etched with the words "Sumner Steam Works". I WOULD ADD THE WEIGHT AND THE DIMENSIONS AT THE TOP OF THE LAMP HERE. I WOULD ALSO ADD THE TYPE AND WATTAGE OF THE BULBS USED.

Because I spent months building and creating this piece, I hate to part with it, but I can't keep everything. It is my first ever offered to the public for sale. Put it in your home or office and enjoy it as much as I do. Created fall of 2013. This original creation is signed and numbered #0001 by the artist on the underside of the base. Here is your chance to get a stunning piece of original art.

This will be carefully crated and packed to arrive safely to your door. Thanks for looking and

The key changes are as follows:
1. I broke the description up into smaller paragraphs to make it more readable and so buyers could find important info quickly

2. I removed the words "won't go unnoticed in" and replaced with "will be the highlight of" to emphasize the positive.

3. I deleted "This entire sculpture is metal and solidly built." because it was redundant with the second sentence. As they say, brevity is the soul of wit.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new pictures are much more clear, and it IS a fantastic lamp! I had one more suggestion...change your font maybe? I was having a hard time reading it due to it all looks meshed together and bold. Then I just went back to the listing again and it was changed! I think it looks pretty good, good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread